50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, in other words, it's probably fake? A shame, I kind of liked it. But, yeah some of the stuff does seem unlikely, particularly the bit that says the portraits of the past Doctors show some of them aging. In order to do that, they are presumably going to get the surviving actors, showing them as they are now. But it is now confirmed the only previous Doctor to return is Tennant.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Lol. I'll do my best.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, for Pete's sake its not like Moffat is planning on have one of the Doctor's enemies switching bodies with him and their final battle ending with the Doctor beaten and dead when said villain's body dies with the episode ending with the villain still in the Doctor's body saying he'll be better at it than the Doctor ever was effectively both murdering him and stealing his life in the process.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit it does kind of seem like it's heading in that direction, with this season being Eleven's swan song. Although I really hope it's not, because I'd still love to see a lot more with Smith and Coleman together.

Of course we know he's in the 50th special after the Trenzalore episode, so presumably he at least survives that event....

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh come on, why wait when you can judge it now and judge it harshly :lol:

Trouble is some people have had it in for Moffat since he started (since before then if I recall correctly) so they're actually really glad there are no classic Doctors in the special. Let's be honest some people wouldn't be happy even if Moffat did incorporate every surviving Doctor and managed to resurrect the first three into the bargain, plus include every living companion.

But I guess everyone needs a hobby...

Anyway gonna duck out of this thread now, partly cos the circular arguments get somewhat tiring, but mainly cos, you know, I'd like there to be some surprises left when I actually watch the darn thing.

I may love it, I may hate it, it may merely be 'ok' but that's a decision I'll make after I see it. At the risk of going all Kevin Keegan though I'd love it, LOVE IT, if midway through Tom Baker and Peter Davison suddenly appeared :lol:

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

"I shall be the Superior Doctor!" :)

Honestly, I could see Moffat doing that story arc. Fortunately, Dan Slott got there first and Moffat would look like he was ripping off a comic book that has less than 1 percent of his audience.

7. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This could work, though. Put the scarf on Amy. And that's the extent of her costume. :bolian:

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe you've been on a different internet than me, but it seemed like Moffat only lost his shine fairly recently for the vast majority of his detractors. People were very excited when he took over, they gave him the benefit of the doubt on the rough spots of his first season, chalked the issues with the second up to 'trying something different' and it was really only when he continued to make the same 'mistakes' through the third that the cries came up for him to move along.

Personally I think he is one of the best episode writers the show has ever seen, but in an editorial/oversight capacity he simply doesn't have the restraint to sort the wheat from the chaff before throwing it all on the table. Perhaps more importantly, the scheduling/production issues hint strongly at his being an artist that works best with deadlines and someone else making the important calls.

I'm very much enjoying this series/season as a whole, minus a few smaller-than-usual missteps, so it is possible he has found his footing and these concerns are unfounded. I do find it a bit strange, if not quite 'upsetting', that the original series seems to be getting the shaft a bit here. Tennant is all fine and dandy, but celebrating the 50th anniversary with just him feels like a bit of a cheat and if the original plan was in fact to have him and Eccleston then it looks like even more of a celebration of "nuWho" than the show as a whole.

Debating how good a job the man is doing is about as productive as arguing how Timelords reproduce or the nature of his relationship with River, but to jump all the way to "well some of you wouldn't be happy with anything!" you may as well be saying nothing.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, I've been reading the same Internet as Starkers. There is always a certain faction upset by any changes (As well as a certain faction elated that the change finally came). This goes for Show Runner, Doctor Actor and Companions.

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I tend to be rather easy-going when it comes to this debate between fans of various generations of the show. Part of that is because of the near animosity between some members of each camp. Along those lines, here is an interesting article I read just this morning... in which I agreed with a the author a fair amount - and I have thoroughly enjoyed Moffat's term as showrunner.

http://www.hypable.com/2013/04/30/steven-moffat-doctor-who-showrunner/

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

This matches up with my recollection as well. Moffat wrote some great scripts for RTD, so people (in general) were thrilled when Moffat took over. However, it appears he's better at the artistic side than the business management side.

But, I've been enjoying Moffat's seasons greatly. No real complaints. Overall, I enjoy his work and RTD's work about the same amount, but for different reasons.

In the end, I wish there was a classic Doctor involved in the anniversary special. But, if not, I will likely enjoy it anyway. Still, it's a shame. These actors won't be with us forever and they contributed greatly.

Mr Awe

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Billie Piper spotted in Cardiff

The other three better watch out for John Hurt. He might complain of stomach pains

;)

[​IMG]

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm the same. Despite a few missteps here and there, I've found the overall quality to be at a consistently high level since the show returned. I'm always a bit baffled at the people complaining every year about the show going downhill and becoming more terrible than ever.

And yeah, I do think it's a giant missed opportunity to not have the classic Doctors in there, but I'm not about to let that prevent me from enjoying the special we do get.

14. Allyn Gibson

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Although she maintains Moffat's still an "bad tempered, narrow minded, arrogant, smug git"

And she's kinda of cute too.

16. Allyn Gibson

That she is, that she is.

That said, I hope the picture and the name are fake. Otherwise, she's put something out there with her name on it that would be damaging to her career, even though it was a prank.

And "bad tempered, narrow minded, arrogant, smug git"? Lawrence Miles has said worse about the Moff. :)

17. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Oh so do I. They are good opposite one another. But I definitely think that's where the story is heading, even if it's in season 8. And I hope Clara sticks around for the 12th Doctor too.

18. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

19. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Epic Fail!

First try and convince people that you're an insider by cobbling together various rumours and acting like they came from you.

When people point out what you've got wrong quickly issue some "corrections".

When people still don't fall for it pretend you were doing it all for some high-minded reason.

Then claim to be someone you're not.

Like I said before, they're the GB poster that uses the name R.E.D. Not that it really matters, since paying them attention is what they want.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

:lol: Clever!