Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by FalTorPan, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Thanks everybody! Glad you enjoyed it!

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

One wonders, what it would be like if actually did NEW TAS short with the all the TAS characters exactly the same (with updated rendering of course), you would also have to use different voices but maybe you can find people close to shatners (maybe uses Cawley's voice?) and nimoy's voice. Heck, I suppose it could be a Phase II show, come to think about it.

3. NEO f/x

NEO f/x Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats great, I had a project outlined in 2005 called Enterprise S5 that would have been an animated 5th season of enterprise, never really got anywhere. I'm not that good at animating, guess I will stick with creating websites among other things. LOL

5. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

Watched Act I last night with a friend who's not as well-informed on the Farragut-verse as myself. His only complaint was that Captain Carter's voice seemed a bit low and flat compared to the others. Perhaps some audio tweaking (audio levels, reverb, equalization) is in order?

For myself, I did noticed that a paint program had been used, rather than traditional cels, but that's because I'm a Photoshop geek.

All in all, it was an enjoyable trip down memory lane.

6. NEO f/x

Thanks...you are indeed correct...this was done 'digitially' instead of the traditional 'light table'; however, we worked very hard to give it that 'Saturday Morning Cartoon' feel.

As for the audio tweaking, thanks for the advice. The audio in this was done over a year period with recording and re-recording...sometimes whole sentences were restructured from various dialog recorded at various times. We will continue to refine this process and hopefully will improve upon this in the later acts and the next episode.

Thanks for your feeback!

7. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Act 1 is stellar -- or should I say LUNAR?!?

It was great. But what a TEASER! We're all set up the episode is picking up pace, Capt. Carter says "Engage!" and now we wait....

Michael, neo f/x and everyone who worked on this: WOW! It really does look like TAS! You nailed it! BIG TIME! Impressive. The characters are well drawn (even RT) and the ship looks great.

So far I'd say the script is intriguing. It feels like a TOS script, but compressed. Instead of The Farragut being dispatched through a live message -- it's just summed up in the Captain's log. That's a great way to compress a full episode into an animated shorter episode.

The voices sound great, guys!

[​IMG]

You've identified Thelin as the Navigator on the Farragut. I'd sure like to see him in the next live action episode as neo f/x Michael has suggested.

I'm intrigued. And excited. And waiting for more....
    Ken

8. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow! What a treat! My first exposure to Star Trek was to the animated series as a 7 year-old. I remember wondering what the deal was with the pointy-eared guy named “Mr. Spot”. Anyway, what a remarkable job you folks have done with the animated version of Starship Farragut. The recreation of the Filmation style is spot-on and the story is intriguing. I'm looking forward to seeing how this story ends and getting to know this crew better through these adventures. Cheers!

9. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

I just D/L and watched part 1. I enjoyed it very much. Hats off to all the cast and crew on a job well done.

10. marylizz

marylizz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just watched Act 1.. fantastic stuff! It really has that TAS sort of feeling, and the authenticity, just with more modern tech. Thanks guys!!

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

A lot of love and work put into that. Clearly someones love TAS!

12. NEO f/x

After coming back from the TrekMovie site and reading the comments there, I get the feeling that most people there don't get it. The true Trek fan-film fans do...and I appreciate it!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words everyone...Act 2 is being prepped and it appears we are ready for the week of August 3rd!

**Update** I misstated in my original post. I did not mean to imply that TrekMovie posters were not fans....they are! And are probably the most hard-core fans you will find. Some of them simply aren't in to the 'fan-film quirks' that a lot of us are willing to tolerate. Hope no one took offense as this...I go to TrekMovie 3 times a day or so, but I am also a fan of fan films (in a way).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  13. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

We definitely appreciate it. I think current movies create the feeling that the way to create a retro experience is to combine flashier effects with a "See, don't you feel stupid for actually liking that junk" conceit.

No, give us our old feel, warts and all. The warts are part of the charm. You guys are nailing it. Can't wait for future releases.

14. Sharkey

Sharkey Lieutenant Red Shirt

Amazing amount of work and love in this one! Funny to think how much time and effort it must have taken to match the cheap look. I mean, how many close-ups do we need of the captain pushing that damn intercom button? (something they did all the time in the original.)

My only negative comment: A four-minute Briefing Room scene in a ten-minute episode? That's a hell of a lot of nothing but talk.

Anxious for the next one.

15. NEO f/x

Yeah....that one was a struggle, but we cut a lot of out it. From a directorial standpoint, much of that had to be in there to set up what was going on. 4 minutes was nothing compared to what could then be cut out once you establish Glenn, the globes, and what the background of the story is.

Act 2 takes the pacing up further. We see that the energy is not only affecting people, but mechanical devices as well.

16. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I congratulate you for your even-handed responses to the posts over there. There's a right way and a wrong way to offer criticism, and most of the critical comments at trekmovie.com definitely fell into the "wrong" bucket (not to mention the childish, rude, and downright nasty buckets).

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trekmovie is a pretty heavily trafficked site. Michael, you seeing any bump-up in your downloads?

18. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do agree with a lot of Trekmovie comments about the Captain. Another thing, I hate the comment about "they knew exactly where to hit us". no shit, it was another Starfleet vessel firing at you. That means they will have a schematic of you in their database. Stupid Spock saying that line in TWOK.

I enjoyed the cartoon.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved that line in TWOK - it's really hard to care about fans nitpicking the logic of it.

20. NEO f/x

Yeah...by about 500% on the YouTube site by itself.

Also, I wouldn't be too hard on the TrekMovie fans...some of them didn't like JJ's movie, so I feel in good company :)

But seriously, some of the folks made good comments. And if it was childish or rude, what is the use in replying to those? Not interested in a flame war...just want to do good work that is appreciated!:bolian: