sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Sometimes short seasons work better, sometimes they don't; but I really hate the long gaps between mini-seasons.

2. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Nothing to see here people, move along. I would go as far to say that this is standard operating procedure for just about EVERY cable show that doesn't split their seasons, which is most of them.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Heck, it's not even standard operating procedure (which implies it's optional), it's just arithmetic. A year is always going to be 52 weeks long, so the fewer episodes there are per season, the longer the break between seasons is going to be.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Nah, just show your 12 episodes at 1 a month, year round programming sorted.

5. Christopher

^And then people would complain about having to wait three weeks between new episodes, just like they already do now whenever there's a week off. The problem isn't with the shows, the problem is that people today have no patience and expect instant gratification.

6. Bob The Skutter

I was kidding. Must kill people waiting an entire year between seasons of Netflix shows given the way they dump them all at once.

7. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Well this is based on the assumption that the show will premiere at the same time each year, which doesn't necessarily have to be the case. I suppose if a show is being ambitious technically it could ramp up production so there's simply less time in between seasons. But realistically that's just generally not how the industry works. For starters, it's more expensive. Also programming stability is a good thing. It gives the networks an idea of what their needs are in a calendar year, and it helps with ratings for the viewing audience to be used to certain shows coming back at certain times of year.

8. Christopher

Well, yeah, theoretically you could have a shorter gap in a given year, but that couldn't be expected every year. It takes time and money to produce a TV season, and a production only gets money allocated to it for so many episodes per year. However much you might be able to shift premiere dates in specific cases, on the average you'd still get only one season per year, so if there's a shorter gap between seasons one year, it has to be paid for by a longer gap the following year.

9. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Agreed. You do see it now and then, like the first season of HBO's Girls premiered with GoT in the Spring, but the second season had a January debut, followed by another January debut for the third season, so it happens. But like you said, for practical reasons it's really just not how the industry works.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

HBO has set the premiere for The Leftovers for the 15th June. It'll have a 10-episode season.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Syfy has ordered 12 Monkeys to series with a 12-episode order. Bryan Fuller's High Moon will not go ahead as a series. You can read Deadline's report here.

12. RJDiogenes

Okay, that sucks.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy about 12 Monkeys, but disappointed about High Moon, I was really looking forward to that one.

14. Bob The Skutter

Channel 4 and Xbox have partnered on remaking the Swedish "Real Humans".

15. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

16. RJDiogenes

And another Zombie Apocalypse. Just what we need. :rommie:

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

My wife will be happy.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, I've been hoping Nick Willing would be doing more stuff for Syfy soon, and I'm glad to see it's a weekly series. I loved Tin Man, Alice, and Neverland.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Deadline reports that Paramount TV is developing a TV series version of The Truman Show.

20. Christopher

That seems a little redundant these days, honestly. When the film came out, the idea that millions of TV viewers would watch a show that was just spying on a person's real life was still somewhat conjectural. These days it's an everyday reality, pun intended.