‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    It's a sequel. It'll build on the events in the first film.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It is the defacto MOS2, and the main reason is that they want people to be psyched so they can compete with the Avengers.

It's all about money

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why? The longest "rest" that James Bond has ever been given is six years, and that delay only happened because of sales and mergers and lawsuits behind the scenes. Other than that, the only gaps longer than three years have happened because of the studio's financial troubles. They don't take a "rest" between actors or incarnations, they just try to keep going forward as steadily as possible.

Personally I don't understand the idea that a film series needs a "rest" to remain viable. Where's the benefit in letting something popular lie fallow?

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It'll depend on what they call the sequel. It'll either be "Man of Steel 2" or be called "Worlds Finest".

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It'll function as a sequel no matter what they call it, and I don't think they'll use either of those titles. Superman vs. Batman is the most likely title in my opinion.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

You have to figure that a MoS sequel would have some sort of colorful antagonist, hopefully played by a strong actor. In this case, the character in question happens to be Batman rather than a villain.

The Bond series has proven to be more the exception than the rule.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. Warners has gone for more classy titles like "The Dark Knight" and "The Man of Steel" in recent years.

"Superman vs Batman" is cheesy and feels like a video game title.

8. The Old Mixer

My vote goes to Abbott and Costello Meet Superman vs. Batman.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

We'll see.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They should call it Bruce and Clark.

11. The Old Mixer

Bruce & Clark's Excellent Adventure...and base it on the "Super Café" sketches.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Using numbers in sequel titles seems to have fallen out of favor lately, at least for genre films. There hasn't been a number on a Star Trek sequel in the past 22 years. No Batman film sequel has ever had a number in its title. The only Marvel sequels to use numbers are the Iron Man and Spider-Man sequels, Blade II, and X2. So I think it's more likely to be either Man of Steel: Subtitle Goes Here or The Man of Steel Does Something. (How about The Man of Steel Goes Bats? Huh? Huh? ... I'll just be over here...)

But what is the rule? Here's a list of the longest-running film franchises. I don't really see a consistent rule there; some have had long gaps prior to being rebooted or continued, while others have just kept going at fairly regular intervals, while others haven't had reboots at all.

13. The Old Mixer

Even some of the examples on that list have huge gaps...they seem to be counting the Adam West Batman movie, for example....

I'm not married to the new Batman having or not having his own series...but there's no announced movie and no clear indication that WB is planning to go that way in the near future...ergo, it can't be taken for granted. By the time they make a new Batman solo film, they could just reboot him yet again as easily as do one for the JL Batman.

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The next Superman movie (sequel to one where hey, if you squinted through a telescope you could maybe see there was kinda a W on a satellite and if you use your imagination that might've meant it was WayneTech!) will have Batman, played by who knows, and they announce it by referencing a storyline from a time 40+ years beyond the time in their careers that the movie will be set. But hey, it'll work out fine, since WB has such a great track record. At least I'm not bitter.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

So The Dark Knight isn't the follow up to Batman Beyond because "Batman" isn't in the title? :cardie:

16. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Along with a new actor to play Bruce Wayne, I expect a brand new set of vehicle and gadget designs for Batman. I would, however, welcome a Batmobile that is similar to the 1989-1992 version. As for Batman's suit, the one used by Bale was a good design and I see no need to change the suit again.

17. The Old Mixer

How about Justice League Origins: Superman vs. Batman?

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They'll call it "Batman vs Superman". Batman sells better so he'll come first.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I wouldn't rule it out, but I think they'll put Superman first if they go with a "versus" title to indicate it's his sequel. Having Batman in the title would be enough for sales purposes.

20. The Old Mixer

Heck, if Batman has to be front and center, why stop there? Why call the big team movie Justice League when they can call it Five Men and a Batman...or Batman and His Amazing Friends...or Batman Origins: Justice League?