Vulcan Breeding Stock

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USS Triumphant, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

After "The Counter-Clock Incident" Starfleet reviewed its mandatory force retirement policy, and allowed Robert April to continue serving if he wanted. This would have been not long after Tuvok was born.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose that could be true. Still, though, it doesn't change the fact that the Intrepid is still a Starfleet vessel. It's not under the control of what remains of Vulcan's local defense force - it's a Starfleet ship that happens to have an all-Vulcan crew. Like the T'Kumbra from DS9.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Somewhere just short of 100, going by dialogue:

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah, now, I know where my confusion came from, I heard 3rd Century, not 3 Digits, was why I always thought it was 200+. Thanks, that's always bothered me, because I thought it was far too old (The extra 12 was just misremembering).

Still, as young as he was at 100 years old, forced retirement at 75 is ridiculous.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It could go either way, but yeah, a SF vessel but with an all Vulcan crew is probably more likely.

Most Vulcans didn't like how Humans smelled anyway.

Did any TOS novel ever expand on the Intrepid?

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No, it's a TV show that was developing as it was being made

On Vulcan, various bases and ships like the Intrepid. It's a big fleet.

No it's the weighing of the options and going with the one that fits best. Trek is pretty grounded, the weirdness comes from the SF setting not the structure of Starfleet or the characters' relationships.

Sure it is. I even quoted it.
    That certainly can be read as the Intrepid investigating the loss of contact.

Again, you're looking for the least obvious, least practical, least reasonable explanations.

No it doesn't. Knowing the name of every civilian Vulcan crewed ship is not the same as inner eyelids and mating cycles.

. Often is a stretch.

If you're asking what themes, then you've not payed attention the show.

Where in TOS is it established that Vulcans are "not trusted or well known". Sarek is a well known and respected Ambassador. T'Pau was offered a seat on the UFP Council. Vulcans are known for not lying. (Even though that's a lie) Cochrane recognises Spock as a Vulcan. IIRC, others have done the same

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

So yes, it's a jumbled mess. And it doesn't "work" without the audience explaining it to themselves, because the writers didn't bother.

There's nothing there about Starfleet. And grammatically, it's clear the Intrepid couldn't have been investigating the loss of contact, because the investigating came before the loss.

So claiming that the Intrepid is a Starfleet asset is a pure guess, an unnecessary oversimplification of the Star Trek universe, and no grounds for arguing that Spock would have species-mates in this otherwise (until TAS) 100% human force that insists on referring to the character with racist epithets in official correspondence.

That's subjective nonsense. The task of explaining why these Vulcans would agree to operate a ship with an English name when all other Vulcan ships in the show have Vulcan (or at least alien, i.e. made-up and heavily apostrophized) names, is at least as heavy as the assuming that "Intrepid" is a translated name.

Why "every"? Clearly, the Intrepid is doing important and interesting deep space research stuff - why wouldn't Kirk know about the Vulcan Calypso?

Remember that Kirk does know everything and everybody. He requires no briefing on SS Beagle, a truly random fourth-rate vessel, and indeed personally knows her skipper. There's no basis on claiming that his knowledge would be limited to Starfleet assets - at best, we could claim that he only studies ships assigned to the same sector of space as the Enterprise, and even then he appears to already know most of the relevant information through weird television coincidences.

In every episode introducing a new fact about Vulcans. And that's not an exaggeration. "Corbomite" shows a character hating Vulcan emotionlessness. "Dagger of the Mind" shows how scary and unknown Vulcan touch telepathy is. "Amok Time" paints with a heavy brush the fact that humans have little say in Vulcan affairs, consider Vulcan diplomats mighty opponents, know zip about Vulcan biology or cultural mores, and could be randomly killed by Vulcans.

If an episode mentioned that Spock is the first-ever Vulcan to be accepted into Starfleet, and then only thanks to his human blood, it wouldn't even be worth raising an eyebrow. An episode discussing Spock's Starfleet background and failing to make it a surprise and an example of distrust would be inconsistent with all precedent! It's just that we didn't get such an episode, because "Journey to Babel" was heavy with other types of whopper about Spock's exotic nature and background.

Several, as can be guessed. Off the top of my memory: MW Bonnano's Strangers from the Sky refers to "the Vulcanian Expedition", a shameful Starfleet bit of gunboat diplomacy where the organization forced Vulcans to crew at least one starship at gunpoint; it's further mentioned that Vulcans only paid lip service, the Intrepid never ever firing her weapons in anger. Diane Duane's books in contrast mention the Intrepid engaging in war heroics (say, in connection with "Errand of Mercy"), and the Reeves-Stevenses refer to this unseen vessel spearheading the ST:TMP style warp technology and essentially being a Vulcan engineering tour de force. In newer books, the Stricklands in a Starfleet Academy book say the ship was attached to the Vulcan Science Academy rather than Starfleet.

As far as I know, no book has told the story of a purely Vulcan vessel Intrepid, even when several have made a disconnect with the Constitution class, or with Starfleet.

Timo Saloniemi

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, in connection with the topic of this thread.... What if they reconnected with old Vulcan colonies? There may have been others besides P'Jem, and maybe other splinter groups besides the Romulans.

There wasn't any direct evidence that Mintakans were descended from Vulcans. The original series had the idea of "parallel planetary development" to explain so many earth-like planets and races. There could have been similar parallel development of Vulcan-like races. The James Blish novelization of "Balance of Terror" presented an idea that Vulcanoid species were common in a certain sector of space.

Kor

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

One wonders... Would Vulcans count almost-Vulcan alien species as viable means of preserving the Vulcan species? Their close cousins Romulans appear racistically paranoid; little in Star Trek suggests the Vulcans themselves would be any more open to ideas of racial diversity.

If there are 10,000 Vulcans from Vulcan left, then the existence of three million Mintakans might be perceived more as a threat than as an opportunity!

Timo Saloniemi