Is Anyone still playing Birth of the Federation?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by craig keith, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig keith

craig keith Lieutenant Red Shirt

I still have a windows xp laptop and the only reason i have kept it is to play birth of the federation It really really is the best trek game ever made and way ahead of its time in my opinion. If you havnt got it you still still download it from amarda fleet command :) x

guyute03 likes this.
  2. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

I remember coming across that game at Best Buy for $5 in like 2002 maybe. So I bought it and played it. I never really got into it heavily but I did make it through a few times once I realized to turn off those 'random events' otherwise the Borg showed up and cleaned my clock.

guyute03 likes this.
  3. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I only ever had the Borg turn up twice in my games, and the first time I managed to defeat them by the skin of my teeth in Earth orbit (and subsequently the galaxy decided they loved me and let me win the game) and the second time I forgot how many ships I needed and lost :(

It was a very fun game, though the glitch that happened at 100+ turns that slowed everything down was a nightmare.

guyute03 likes this.
  4. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Is there any way to play themgamemin MP? I neber found outmhow tomdo it withmmodern computers, the game seemed unresponsive :confused:

5. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

I still play BOTF.
    Granted I use Ultimate Dominion Mod for it which has new ship models, some modification to the Galaxy map size, etc.
    Multiplayer runs fine if the other party has the same mod of course.

If you want to use vanilla game though (no mods), then I suggest you find and download the latest patch for the game.

This is the website that has the patch, the game as well, plus the mods:
    http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf/

guyute03 likes this.
  6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I always felt that it was a pity that you had to play on a randomly generated map. At least one map that placed the races in sensible starting positions (though this game preceded Geoffrey Mandel's star charts) would have been cool. Did anyone every work out how to create a map editor for BotF?

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always liked to play in the ring style galaxy and would keep reloading until I was placed in that bit in the center. A map editor would have been awesome though. Someone could have placed all the planets roughly where they should've been.

8. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

There was a map editor, but it was kinda buggy. I tried doing one once where Romulus was put in a corner behind a nebula, and the computer was at a much higher tech level. The computer would always pass through the nebula to get to Romulus, but my cloaked fleet would always decimate their huge fleets, despite that I was outmatched and outgunned. The game could have stood to have scenario maps like that.

9. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Is it straightforward to install on Win 7 - may go back to it....

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

It's not super straightforward. You'll need to download a patch from the armadafleetcommand website linked above. And even still you might run into some weird crashes.

11. R. Star

Well BotF was always buggy and crash prone. On the bright side it did autosave your game every turn so that wasn't utterly catostrophic.

12. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I play every once in a while but always with All the Ages mod. Allows the player to start with NX age ships and move on until Sovereign. I changed my version a little to include Centaur, Vesta and Luna class ships.
    And on a Large map it takes a very long time to finish a game.

guyute03 likes this.
  13. R. Star

I'd love a mod where the map is WAAAY bigger.

14. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

The Large Ultimate Dominion Mod perhaps?

Its far larger than the vanilla 'large'.
    :D

guyute03 likes this.
  15. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Or All the Ages mod. It has 2 distinct versions. In one of them small map is actually vanilla large. As one can guess, medium and large are simply gigantic. However, you do need a lot of RAM for the game to work good later on. When the map is agglomerated with colonies and bases is getting hard to even scroll it.

guyute03 likes this.
  16. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

I used to play this every year during the summer when I was off from school, but I haven't played it in a couple of years now.

I do agree it's the best game Star Trek ever had. I spent countless hours with all the civilizations. I even endured the slow down bug that appears after a while.

guyute03 likes this.
  17. Igard

Igard Lieutenant Red Shirt

An absolutely great game. My brother was still playing it as recently as last year, but I haven't for quite a few years now.

If you're a fan of 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) space games, why not try Distant Worlds? Only draw back is it's quite expensive and no demo sadly. However, it is worth it. I make Trek mods for it.

guyute03 likes this.
  18. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

Still got that game in my star trek collection, among many other star trek games :)

guyute03 likes this.
  19. blueshirt

blueshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love the game and still play it occasionally when I have the chance.
    A few years back I compiled a few dozen pages of ideas for a sequel, with the Dominion as a sixth empire, minor aliens from every series and new structures and planet types.
    Sadly, we'll never see a sequel, with or without any of those ideas.

guyute03 likes this.
  20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I moved on to Starfleet Command when they got the combat right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.