Fact checking These Are The Voyages....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Jan 12, 2014.

1. stcanada29

stcanada29 Lieutenant Red Shirt

FYI, here is a link to recent post on Gerald Gurian's website featuring a lengthy excerpt from "These Are The Voyages - TOS: Season Two" on the filming of the episode "Metamorphosis": http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2014/02/worldwide-exclusive-excerpt-from-marc.html . Gurian precedes the excerpt with a book review which is, to be expected, very favorably disposed towards the book; though I've seen another review (by Wesley Britton of SeattlePI.com) that echoes Gurian's positive sentiments for this second volume. In the "Metamorphosis" excerpt, I think it's interesting how Shatner was unfriendly at first with guest star Elinor Donahue and had to be scolded by Director Senensky over his conduct. I don't recall hearing of any other incident where Shatner was described as displaying open unfriendliness or disrespect towards a fellow actor/actress while filming TOS.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to reading this.

3. bentpin

bentpin Ensign Newbie

I hate to butt in here, because I'm enjoying the conversation, but I have a question. Does this book have much in the way of how the bridge props were developed?
    I'm researching how to recreate some of the graphics and controls.

I emailed the book publishers, and they said no, there wasn't any, but out of an abundance of inquisitiveness...

Shawn

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

TOSgraphics.com explains how the panels were made.

5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Harvey, you're awesome. Thanks! :) Yes, I did read the published portion of the memo in the Alexander book. I found that fascinating, since published accounts of the Irwin Allen shows are slender on actual behind the scenes facts (the exception being a really good, detailed book on The Time Tunnel - but I digress).

6. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

UniWatch!

7. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

One has to suspect for Batman, that some of the 'Special Guest Villains' must have commanded higher than normal fees than the 'normal' guest performer.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  8. stcanada29

stcanada29 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Gerald Gurian's website startrekpropauthority.com is actually a good resource for information on screen used props and costumes from across the entire range of Star Trek feature films and television series - but it is especially focused on TOS. Here's a link to an interesting article on Captain Kirk's Original Series chair:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2008/06/captain-kirks-chair-from-star-trek.html

and another on the TOS Helm / Navigation console:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2008/07/helm-navigation-console-from-star-trek.html

Gurian has basically reprinted some lengthy auction catalog descriptions of these items from when they went on sale in the early 2000's; but the articles are informative I think and have some interesting photos of the internal design of these Bridge pieces. Also, Gurian posted the following articles on TOS control panels and displays on his site:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2008/05/star-trek-original-series-control.html

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2010/07/star-trek-original-series-uss.html

The first article has some nice shots of the breakdown of a warp drive panel from Scotty's Bridge Engineering station, and the second article shows some nice close up shots of the different styles of screen used buttons used to create the various Bridge control panels. I believe those button's are part of Gerald Gurian's memorabilia collection. The multi-colored square and circular one's were molded from resin by the studio, and they also used real aircraft switches to decorate the panels.

Here's another article on the TOS Bridge Chairs:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2012/12/star-trek-original-series-uss.html

I'm sure if you browse through the site, you'll likely find other articles of interest as it's quite extensive.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Fascinating!

10. bentpin

bentpin Ensign Newbie

Hey!

Thanks SO much for the detailed responses! In fact, I have already availed myself of both the Gurian and the Smith sites. I have attempted to contact Mr. Gurion in hopes he has already done the measurements on the pieces in his collection. Just waiting on a response!

Thanks again, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled program!

11. Lubitsch

Lubitsch Cadet Newbie

A question still unanswered as far as I can see: what are differences between the first and the second edition? Hasn't anyone who has both copies flipped through the books e.g. comparing paragraph beginnings and ends? I'd really love to know if it's worth the trouble of buying again.

12. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can speak to two of them off the top of my head: in the Balance of Terror section, a bit is added where he clarifies the "electric violin" theme, recorded the same time as The Man Trap, was used until The Corbomite Maneuver (i.e. only the first 9 aired episodes). At that point, the "cello" theme was substituted. It was recorded at the same time as Balance of Terror, Corbomite and What Are Little Girls Made Of? This has been a question of mine for some time and it's nice to finally have that answer.

He also fixed the error about the "partial score" recorded for Operation -- Annihilate! This was incorrect and now appears in the section on City on the Edge of Forever.

Also, originally Cushman said Shatner ran from the soundstage to the recording booth to do the opening narration in one take without being short of breath. John D.F. Black corrected this by saying Shatner took a golf cart to the booth and it took two takes because of a tape error. Anyway, there are other bits, but I haven't had time to scour the whole book again. However, I did notice an attempt to clear up the ratings issue. However, the fan created cover of a fantasy Arena novelization still appears as a factual release.

I have no buyer's remorse.