Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, then I agree. I would be very disappointed if the family dynamic was changed. That IS what the Fantastic Four is all about.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems like your fear that they may be abandoning the brother/sister dynamic is based on the fact that they chose a black actor to play Johnny. Ask yourself this; if a white actor had been chosen to play Johnny, would this action have made you concerned that the brother/sister dynamic was being dropped?

When I heard that Michael B. Jordan was being considered to play the Torch, it never occurred to me that this might mean that Johnny and Sue would no longer be brother and sister. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who felt this way, just as I'm sure others felt the way you do.

I do think they'll offer some explanation, though it is hardly necessary.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that many of us didn't question that the brother/sister dynamic would continue. It never even dawned on me that that might be in question. But I think we should take the original poster at his word and not belabor the issue.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

No, it was based on hiring a white actress to play Susan Storm. That and the persistent rumors about the radical overhaul of their origin story.

If they cast Susan with a black actress, I'd have the same concern, yeah. Keep in mind that I've been supportive of Michael B. Jordan's casting. It's everyone else I'm concerned about. And I can't shake this feeling that the people who are making these decisions said "We'll hire one black person to look like a diverse cast, but we absolutely don't want two." That's concerning to me. And if they followed that up by deciding that they'd change the connection between the Storm's to fit this casting decision, it would be a deal breaker.

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

You should see who they're casting to play Annie and Daddy Warbucks in the next Annie movie....

[​IMG]

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Cool. I never saw the movie, but I know she did a great job in Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Although wasn't this a plot of Boston Legal ;)

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pilot episode of Boston legal had black Annie.

I'm more concerned that Jamie didn't shave his head.

8. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Also, he's called "Benjamin Stacks" rather than Daddy Warbucks. (which is pretty cool, though)

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find myself surprised at liking that.

10. Guy Gardener

Are we sure if it's Stacks or Stax?

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Mi...t-Offers-Grounded-Take-Marvel-Team-42034.html

So, Miles Teller says that the script is 'grounded.'

Now, it doesn't do to take actors' comments too much at face value but surely a film called 'FANTASTIC Four' by definition ought not to be grounded? I'm all for grounded when Batman or Daredevil are involved but a superhero team who includes a man made of rock, a human fireball and a real life stretch Armstrong? If ever there was a superhero film that doesn't have to be grounded, then this must be a contender.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Have to agree that grounded is not a good word choice for the FF. Although the characters could be grounded and the adventure Fantastic which would work out well.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Yes, that would be fine by me too. I do hope that he's talking about the characters, rather than the adventure being grounded. Like I say, it doesn't do to put too much stock in how actors describe a project.

14. Guy Gardener

Well, the older generations are not hip enough to get such a fresh and novel new concept like the fantastic Four and they have to be protected from agitation.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of the cast of The Avengers called it grounded. It's a very loose term when it comes to superhero movies. It basically just means it's not Schumacher-esque.

16. Guy Gardener

What i hear when you say grounded, is that they won't let the roocket lift off.

Wasn't their ship grounded anyway and the Four had to break into it and subtly sneak into orbit when everyone else was sleeping?

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll bet you any money you like their origin in this movie had nothing to do with rockets and cosmic rays.

18. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Probably more like the Ultimate origin which I had no problem with.

19. Guy Gardener

Negative Zone transporter accident?

The matter transfer pad looked like Stage E at Burning Man.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to make of the "grounded" comment. Hopefully he means the characterizations and not the plot. I really think the Marvel movies have already proved that you can go more fantastic and it won't scare people off.