THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.5%
  2. A

28.2%
  3. A-

21.8%
  4. B+

20.0%
  5. B

10.9%
  6. B-

8.2%
  7. C+

6.4%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering is odin dead and if so who killed him and why did we not see it?

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well if he's dead the person who killed him would have obviously been Loki.

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In order to keep from masquerading as Odin, Loki has to act in character, which presumably means ruling wisely and well. But if he rules wisely and well, there's no need for Odin to come back!

It dawns on me that they've actually written Loki's happy ending.
    Thor now lives on Earth and Thor 3 need only end with Thor and Jane getting married for his happy ending. This will make for a remarkably upbeat trilogy, no?

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Following this idea, not at all.

5. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

That really was a great movie.. SOOOO much better than the first. A very good blend of humor, action, drama and FX.

I'm not sure if it's because it was partly set in London, or if it was because of the look of the elvish warriors, but I got a distinct Doctor Who vibe from the movie.. It just seemed to permiate the entire film and NO, it was not because Malekith was played by Doctor 9... Really...

The elvish warriors reminded me of Cybermen... And my daughter said the same thing without me even prompting her..

The bit with Chris Evans was a hoot. Looking forward to Part 3.

6. Trekker4747

I doubt Loki will rule in the vein of Odin. He may very well fake Odin's death and then Loki's ascension to the throne and then rule in his own way. Which I doubt will be good for the people of Asgard or the other "realms."

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think, even if he wanted to rule like Odin, he wouldn't be capable of it.

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

If they killed Odin off offscreen I'll be amazed.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Loki is too inherently unstable and cruel to rule like Odin, and he's not as powerful as Odin either (though with Odin's staff he's gotten a big power boost).

Of course, if his cruelty and ruthlessness does come through he'll be able to use Frigga's death as an excuse for "Odin's" changed behavior.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would it really be so hard to add a tongue-in-cheek emoticon?

Yes, I'm talking to you moderators.

And for the record, yes, the joke is, how could the Aesir tell the difference?

11. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a gut feeling that Odin is still alive. I know this is a bad example, but remember what happened at the end of the first GI Joe movie? Zartan, disguised as the Chief Executive, assumed control of the White House. Then in Retaliation it was revealed that the real POTUS (played by Jonathan Pryce) was imprisoned and still alive. So it's possible Loki is keeping Odin a prisoner.

12. Captain Qwert Jr

Captain Qwert Jr Captain Captain

Saw it. My thoughts:

- I love IMAX. I hate 3D. Why cant I be allowed to choose?

- I got such a big Krull vibe from the opening battle.

- Christopher Eccleston has too nice a voice for such a crappy role.

- If I had my druthers, they should have had Loki manipulate events so that the Aether would turn Jane into his "daughter", Hela. Almost thought they were going in that direction.

- I loved the Collector at the end. Makes me look forward to GOTG.

- One week before the Friday primere, I went grocery shopping. What were the housefraus and the cashiers talking about?: couldn't wait for Thor! Family came into town briefly. None read comics or was into sci-fi/fantasy. All couldn't wait for Thor! Had to call the plumber in the middle of the week. They sent 2 guys: white haired, working class: They already had tickets to the Thursday Night premiere! None can resist Chris Hemsworth's flowing locks it seems.
    Aside from that, I can why they are popular. Compared to most of the other ciphers who populate these 21st century industrial exercises that pass themselves off as movies, the cast of the Marvel movies actually seem to go out of their way to charm the audience....except Portman-tron, the latest OS update must have crippled her emote function this time around.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Grade: A-

I found the film to have excellent pacing and it set up it's premise and introductions, as well as re-introductions, to be well done.

I like how it has an opening monologue from Odin similar to the one from the first film where he talks of "humans once accepted a simple truth....", the continuity there is something I like.

Pros:
    • The romance is solid, it's fully realized here.
    • Darcy, I actually didn't mind Darcy this time.
    • The call back mentions to Avengers
    • Loki
    • Sif
    • Figga fighting and her death scene
    • Odin
    • Well placed humor
    • King Bor!! (nice delving into more lore!)
    • Captain America's cameo
    • Kurse

Cons:
    • Seeming accidental ease with which Jane teleports to exactly where the "hard to find" Ether(mcguffin) is located so it bonds to her making her crucial to the plot for 2 acts. I get why, just could used some work.
    • So, where exactly is Odin now?

Indifferent:
    • So Malekith isn't really a threat without the Ether? That was my take. I mean yeah, he controls an army but he himself, as depicted here doesn't seem to be a threat to Thor or the 9 Realms without it. In the comics it's not quite that way but I didn't get that vibe in the film.
    • Would I have liked more Warriors 3, yes, but it's neither here nor there. They got about equal time, maybe a tad more here in DW---except for Hogun.

I was never fooled by the cut off hand scene, I did however buy into the Loki death scene. Why? Cause Frigga had died also and was sent off to Valhalla. So with a main character in Loki dead also a trip to Valhalla to revive, rebirth them as has been done seemed a great story point moving forward. A Thor 3 where the journey is made to speak with Brumhilda(Valkyrie) to return Loki and Frigga to the living seemed possible to me.
    So when the Asgardian foot soldier reports to Odin they found a body. I believe that foot soldier to have been Loki now. However, what did he do with Odin? Did I miss something.

Only a few nagging things but overall I solid and enjoyable Marvel Studios entry yet again!!
    I'll see it at least one more time, not ruling out twice more. For me, better than IM3.

14. Trekker4747

The concept of a cliffhanger to a sequel. ;)

15. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, that should hardly be a con. It's a deliberate set-up for the future. It all but cements that there needs to be a Thor 3 (so I hope the movies keep doing well). I wonder if that's the plan - three of each? At least each of the originals. Perhaps Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Dr. Strange will be one-off. Perhaps we'll actually get a Hulk movie? Either way, I'm wondering if they want to do a Captain America 3 as well.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

17. Alidar Jarok

I know Anthony Hopkins is bored of the role, but it quite frankly makes no sense for Odin to not be in the third movie - even if it's Loki in disguise, he still has to be in disguise. I'd imagine a recast before anything else.

It's entirely possible he's dead. Probable, perhaps. But, with all due respect to Sir Anthony Hopkins, he shouldn't get to decide that.

18. Trekker4747

Eh, saying that and it happening are two different things. Pay him enough and he'll do it and even if he doesn't he can always be put in using a CGI likeness of him or simply just recasting the role.

This, again, assumes Loki will maintain the Odin disguise to rule Asgard and not simply "kill off" Odin and install himself as King.

19. Alidar Jarok

No one will buy it. He already made a powerplay for the throne. Then he was imprisoned. Then he faked his death. If Odin made Loki (who is supposed to be dead) his successor once again, everyone will assume Odin was Loki in disguise since they know he's capable of doing that.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

An interesting twist on everyone's assumptions would be if Odin allowed Loki to take his place, with or without Loki's knowledge. He seems pretty eager to pass on his throne. Maybe he plans to retire in Tahiti (it's a magical place).