Game of Thrones 4.7 - "Mockingbird" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 18, 2014.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

55.6%
  2. Above average

38.9%
  3. Average

2.8%
  4. Below average

2.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

That was great - if short.

How old is Oberyn supposed to be, though? The actor is visibly younger than Dinklage, yet we're supposed to believe he was at least in double figures by the time of Tyrion's birth...

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Along with Cersei(sp?) maybe the question is how young is Tyrion supposed to be.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

In the books, Tyrion is 8 years younger than Cersei and Jaime (making him about 28). In the show, he's about 4 years younger than them (and they both got aged up by 4 years as well) making him about 32.

Oberyn is probably in his early 40s, since he's supposed to have adult daughters. So maybe he was 13 or 14 when he saw Baby Tyrion.

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been established this season that Jaime and Cersei are 40, making Tyrion 36.

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Once again an awesome performance by Dinklage who effortlessly turns from grief and sadness to rage while listening to Oberyn recount the story how he met him as a baby all the circumstances of his birth - all with just the expression in his eyes and his face (i honestly thought he would cry when Oberyn mentioned Tyrion's mother and how everyone hated him for "killing" her).

The rest of the episode was very good too.. no big fights (if you disregard the Mountain butchering some poor men as "training") but pure dialogue and i was still glued to the screen.

It's a testament to the show, the writing and the actors that they don't need big scenes and flashy special effects scenes to captivate the audience (few shows can).

7. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

In the book it was powerful scene, but watching it unfold as you described sent chills down my back. Amazing.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Sadly, it's been so long since I read the book I don't even remember reading the scene.

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's obviously in love with Sansa - whether that's paternal or romantic love remains to be seen. How Sansa will deal with that also will be interesting. BTW, I was completly surprised. I thought Sansa would be the gonner in that scene.

Great episode. They really through everyone for a loop - I was honestly expecting Jamie to be the fighter.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I looked up the actor. He is 6'9" and weighs 419 pounds! :eek:

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It's absolutely not paternal. His interest in Sansa has always been super creepy. This is Littlefinger we're talking about.

12. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Littlefinger's not in love with Sansa - she's just the closest he can get to Catelyn, her mother. He flat out says at the end that she's the only woman he's ever loved (which really makes me wonder what will happen when - well, those of you who've read the books can imagine the rest of that sentence...)

I've been trying to puzzle out Littlefinger's strategy for a while. Now that Lysa's dead, he's got the Vale. If he marries Sansa, he's got the North (though Bran and Rickon can still mess him up there). He was given Harrenhall. Is he planning on taking Westeros piece by piece?

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Can he actually love at all? True love means being selfless for the other, to put your own ambitions away if needed for the other.

I doubt Littlefinger would make that last step and give it all up for Catelyn, he might fool himself and think he would but he's not the small businessman type to play husband with a nice house in the country.

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I think Varys put it best: he would see Westeros destroyed if he could rule over the ashes.

Littlefinger craves power for its own sake. I don't think he has any specific endgame in mind, he'll just seize opportunities as they present themselves. He's also the type to never look a gift horse in the mouth.

15. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's only "paternal" in a very sick way. Here's the man himself, GRRM, summing it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtYhmD2TZs0

That's exactly what I got from the books. He sees her as both the daughter he may have had with Catelyn if she had married him, and a representation of teenage Catelyn that he knew as a boy, who he has the hots for. And still, he also sees her as a political pawn.

I personally think of his "love" for Catelyn as more of an obsession with something he was never able to have than genuine love for her as a person. Though I guess that's still some kind of love - the most that someone like him is capable of.

16. DarthTom

Firstly, welcome back stranger. Your thoughtful analysis is always a joy to read.

Regarding Sansa, slapping Robyn was an interesting growth moment for her. Perhaps Sansa has learned more from Littlefinger than she's letting on Also, she may be able to minipulate his feelings for her to an advantage?

17. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I would think slapping petulant children would have been a learned quality from Tyrion. :p

18. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It all begins to blur - doesn't Littlefinger believe that he took Catelyn's virginity but really it was Lysa who he had sex with that night? I seem to remember that from the books. But I suppose laying with your "true love" for only one night and then seeing her go to not one, but two other men and end up happy with the second would still boil down to the one he could never have. By which I mean, I agree - he's not one for actual love, probably. But you never know, right? GRRM is good at mixing evil, selfishness and admirable qualities all in the same person.

Hey DarthTom! Missed you too, old buddy! I haven't been on the boards in ages - good genre stuff only just now being back on my radar...

19. DarthTom

One of my only complaints this season is the Dany story arc of her freeing the slaves with basically the same lines week-after-week has grown tiresome.

20. DarthTom

One other thought about this. Littlefinger did say that Sansa was more beautiful than Catelyn her mother. What can we infer from that comment?