STAR TREK the enemy of LOST IN SPACE?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But it's not just about memory of the facts. The brain constructs narratives to make sense of the world, and we have a bias toward constructing consistent ones. The more time we have to mull over something, whether it's a TV show or a personal memory, the more time we have to revise the narratives we construct to explain it to ourselves, and the more excuses we come up with to rationalize or forgive things that would stand out more jarringly if the experience were new. It's like relationships -- we learn to excuse and even enjoy the quirks of our friends or loved ones that annoyed or even offended us initially, because we train our brains to find them more acceptable -- we revise our narratives about those people and the reasons for their behavior, because we want those narratives to fit a consistent model of "person I like." By the same token, as I said, we learn to forgive things about the old, familiar Trek that we're unforgiving of in something new. We see them differently because we're applying different narrative constructs to them.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Uh, no. I can look at things I liked as a kid (LIS) and nostalgia isn't colouring what I can see now. And I can cite other examples as well. But while I can see what I might have missed when watching TOS when I was younger my now adult perspective can appreciate more all the good things it did. I can appreciate it even while seeing its missteps because the good far outweighs the bad. Nostalgia wouldn't be enough if there wasn't a substantial measure of quality to begin with.

And when I can put "The Corbomite Maneuver" or "Balance Of Terror" or "The Doomsday Machine" or the majority of the 79 episodes side-by-side with a contemporary reboot even with the disparity of forty years difference in production standards between then and now then I can call garbage when I smell it. I can compare the writing and plot and conceptualizing and world building and characterization and a whole host of things side-by-side and clearly see the difference.

I really like Batman and Christopher Nolan clearly diverged from how things had been done before. And while I don't agree with everything he did he got more right than wrong in my eyes. I really like James Bond and I think Daniel Craig is mostly giving me a character I like over what we've been getting for decades.

There are things I think are clearly being done better than they were before and others that are really lacking in comparison to what has been done before.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I like "The Anti-Matter Man" simply because it gives Guy Williams a chance to be a major part in the story and to play two roles.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I'm sure Mr. Williams liked it for the same reason...