Typical Rank Promotion Trajectory

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Star Trek Online isn't the greatest example of logical storytelling, but Commander. Naomi Wildman is the commanding officer of Deep Space Station K-7 in 2409/2410.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Although one wonders if he'd have made captain faster had his career not stalled somewhat after his wife's death. About three years passed between Wolf 359 and the events of "Emissary," during which Sisko was promoted to full commander--might he have been promoted to captain sooner had he been serving aboard a starship instead of running Utopia Planitia?

--Sran

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know all that. Disco was saying the following:

And

What I'm asking is, is there any proof that when Picard first took command of the Stargazer, as its official, Starfleet assigned commanding officer, his rank was anything lower than a full captain? To my knowledge, we only know he served on the ship at a lower rank, not that he held a rank other than Captain when he was placed in permanent command.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^No, as far as I recall, the SGZ novels didn't say that Picard officially commanded the ship at commander rank. I misread the second quote -- I took it to mean that Picard wasn't a captain at the beginning of his service aboard the Stargazer, but I see now it said he wasn't a captain at the beginning of his command tenure.

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

This is a good point - The police here in the UK have recently decided to recruit a 'fast track' programme which will accelerate joiners through the first three ranks to Inspector (equiv. to a US police Lt) in 3 years; this will mean (as the law has changed to allow it) they will definitely be the youngest in service length terms ever to hold those ranks. 'Fastest', to borrow Picard's word. However, they won't necessarily be younger in age than others in that rank.

I wonder if Starfleet has a 'fast track' programme?

6. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't studying a certain field of expertise get you promoted much quicker (in the real world too) When I was at school, some army guy came for the career day and they told me that if you qualify as a doctor within the army, you automatically receive the rank of major

I would assume it's the same for things like engineering or other sciences. With this in mind, shouldn't a lot of ex doctors and ex engineers become captains sooner than most run of the mill Starfleet academy cadets

I mean, what specifically did Picard study at the academy (how to be a captain?) what does any cadet study at Starfleet academy for that matter (while others are studying engineering, medicine etc I mean)

7. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Yes, expertise in a specific field may get you promoted faster. As far as cadets with an interest in command specifically, the Academy offers command school following the completion of the standard four-year program. It's not clear how long the graduate program lasts, but it appears to offer cadets and junior officers the chance to get promoted more quickly (and would explain why Saavik was a lieutenant while still a cadet, as she may have graduated the Academy but decided to take graduate courses through the command school).

--Sran

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's also worth keeping in mind that you can turn down promotions if you want to. Riker turned down at couple promotions to stay on the Enterprise, and Kirk also told Picard not to let them promote him. So apparently if you're happy where you are, you can choose to turn down promotions and stay where you are.

9. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

to a point at least. I remember someone saying something negative about riker always turning down the promotion

10. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Best of Both Worlds, I believe. If I remember right, he was told that if he turned down the Melbourne, he probably wouldn't get a fourth offer.

11. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ And it was 13 years before he was offered another one. :)

12. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

And ultimately with no financial incentive, there is every possibility that this would be more common than in today's world. There are plenty of people who enjoy 'doing' more than 'managing'.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm that way. As long as I have the option I don't want to move up in my job. I just don't want to have to deal with he extra headaches and stress of being in a higher position.

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

And Picard did just that during the ongoing post-Borg recovery in TNG - Losing the Peace.

15. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard as deskjockey? No, no, no. Still occupying center stage of the Enterprise bridge he is able to make a difference. Who´s idea was it anyway to promote him? Akaar?

16. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

I have to say that, it being Kirk's quote aside, that quote's awfully insulting to Starfleet Command as a whole. It's not like Akaar never made a difference in the galaxy after being promoted, or Nechayev, or Nogura. :p

Kirk only saw things from that perspective because he likes to get in there personally; he doesn't consider telling others to help someone to be making a difference, no matter how important it was for him to have recognized the problem in the first place. You might even be able to point that to his same habit of always going on landing parties personally, that to him if he had just sent a landing party out to handle a crisis, he would've seen it as uselessness on his part. If he had recognized a problem as CSO that everyone else in the Admirality had missed and maneuvered fleet operations to protect a planet or a sector, to him his influence would've been meaningless; it would have been all the thanks of the people he'd ordered, not recognizing his own importance in the situation at all.

17. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with this completely.

Also with the way the books are going I can see Picard changing subtly and is more likely to take accept promotion at some point in the future.