Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Interesting development, but I won't believe anything until the BBC themselves say it.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

'Until' sounds way too certain - I'd say it is an 'if' the BBC say anything.

Still hopeful though...

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hmmmm...Not sure what credibility Doctor Who Online might have, but, that definitely sounds like there is indeed something that will be announced and DWO are being gagged. Could be only 1 new episode (If this isn't unsubstantiated hogwash) but, it definitely sounds like they are saying it's no less than 1

Some days it's really tough to maintain your skepticism and keep your hopes down :eek:...:alienblush:

4. The Nth Doctor

Yeah...that's what I meant to say. :lol:

5. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, it could simply be DWO stating that they won't report missing episode recoveries till the BBC announces it as a general rule, not that they are currently waiting for a BBC ok to report somthing now.

6. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  7. diankra

Ok, the pessimist (and probably realist) take on this: it's Airlock and Underwater Menace 2, and Radio Times has messed up by saying they're both Troughton episodes.
    The optimist take: wow!
    But... I'm going to go for pessimist: always go for cock-up rather than conspiracy (even if it is a conspiracy, someone involved in it will cock-up).

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Even given the caveats diankra mentions, the Radio Times article is the first thing to make me suspect there might actually be some truth to all this. There's been a version of the rumor circulating recently where the find is "only" the five missing episodes of "The Enemy of the World" and four of the five missing from "The Web of Fear." That, I could believe. And putting them on iTunes, perhaps gradually, isn't unheard of-- it was mooted for Air Lock and UM2.

But I'll wait for an announcement before getting excited. I think the BBC has to say something soon, one way or the other. Either a massive misunderstanding has happened, or they've been thoroughly scooped.

9. Atticus

I can't believe the RT, which is pretty knowledgeable about DW, would goof so spectacularly - and it would be a particularly spectacular goof - about this subject, especially given they've shown acute awareness of the febrile discussions over the rumours - see their earlier article chasing up said rumours. Some small doubt in me lingers, especially as the timing of the announcement is odd, but I can't believe it's not what it looks like...

10. Brendan Moody

11. The Nth Doctor

Damn, this is starting to sound real. And yet, I remain pessimistic because I remember how excited I got back in June.

Interestingly, the press conference is on a Tuesday.

Crap. Here we go again... :lol:

12. diankra

Fwiw I've just had a text saying my pessimism is wrong and it is very good news. Am hoping for a second source, which is when I'll believe it.but now hopeful.

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two episodes is a realistic number. One hundred, not so much.

14. Brendan Moody

God help them if they're announcing two episodes found, or nine, or seventeen, or anything below the ninety-odd some people are expecting. Because if they are, there's going to be endless expectation of future announcements about "the rest," whether they exist or not.

15. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever happens I wouldn't want to be Paul Vanezis this week!

16. diankra

Ok... I know Mark Jeffries (killing time between interviews on set trips) and he's fairly reliable. I doubt he'd have run that story unless the Tuesday press conference was happening, and had something to do with the vintage series rather than the new one.
    The Radio Times post, FWIW, comes from Ben Dowell, rather than their resident (ex-DWM) Who correspondent Patrick Mulkern (who is probably having the weekend off right now).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  17. The Nth Doctor

Honestly, given the level of grief he's been getting all summer, I wouldn't be him right now at all.

18. Brendan Moody

The Radio Times article has been slightly edited; it no longer gives the number of episodes that will appear on iTunes, though the word "both" was inadvertently left in.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'm told it's (at least two episode of) The Highlanders. But then I was told last November about Marco Polo being found, and nothing came of that either.

If there's something new found, then there's something new, and that'll be way cool and I'll enjoy it, but after months of the Bleeding Cool omnirumour, I'm not willing to get worked up about it.

20. Atticus

The titles being bandied around as the iTunes stories are Enemy of the World and Web of Fear...