Reign - The CW

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Taylirious, May 16, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We had people doing that in season one.

They didn't come back, or they are very quiet.

Mary is only supposed to be in France for 2 years.

We could be looking at some mass firings at the end of this season on par with Game of Thrones' Red Wedding.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i've read a little bit about Mary's early history. i'm a history buff but this era is not one i have a lot of knowledge of.

3. Guy Gardener

What would have been amazing if probably at the end of the series since Cate is too old to play young Elizabeth, we could have Cate Blanchet showing up to Mary's funeral to spit on her grave.

4. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Technically, no. The term "first world" comes from the Cold War - the United States and its allies were "first world", the USSR and its allies were "second world", and everybody else was "third world". India and Pakistan weren't allied with either side, so they were part of the "third world".

5. Guy Gardener

Thank you.

The actress playing Claude turned 20 last February.

Although if Mary is still supposed to be 14, is the character supposed to be 10?

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

About lengthening Mary's stay in France...the Korean War went on for a far shorter time than MASH got in seasons.

7. Guy Gardener

They got married, and Henry died.

Either the producers have of no concept of how to use staggered time, or the ground is going to come out from under a lot of people's job security at the end of this season.

Even if they have to change castles, that does mean that most of their support staff who are local, even if they are given the option to follow, will have to quit because they are rooted by family.

(I was more thinking that TPTB would change history and just keep her there for as long as they want because they are monsters. But maybe I am bitter and they have a good well thought out respectful plan.)

What's the worst possible thing that could happen?

Mars Attacks Reign?

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They killed off Henri because they figured making Mary and Francis the new Royals would create more drama and conflict. It's worked.

There's too much to lost if the kill off Francis this early.

9. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Sorry- European history isn't my specialty.

If you're looking for someone to talk about the Progressive Era or Jacksonian America and Texas history, I'm your woman. :bolian:

10. Guy Gardener

I think Francis looks like a weasel.

A thin boy probably with a thin boys todger, lucky enough to marry a virgin with no context to diagnose his obvious thin deficiencies... Although Lola would know the difference between a boy and a man? (the actor is 23, but I suppose the casting agent who embraced him was looking for a man so undernourished that he could pass for 14 year old boy.).

Although the characters are an appropriate age for each other, even though neither should be psychosocially ready for a physical relationship with anyone (Except that they are royal who have been told that they have to make babies with whosoever they are told to make babies to maintain the line of succession since they could first talk. Brainwashing. Yay?), even though Mary said near the beginning that it is her ladies in waiting's job to tire out all the men in court physically so that she can remain pristine and unaccosted.

All that being said, I have been head over heels in love with Anne of Green Gables since the 80s when she was Anne of Green Gable, so I don't want any bugger to remove Catherine from the board, even if it means that Mary doesn't get to play with a full sized man... Once she is full sized herself? (Adelaide is 24. Seriously!? They're all fully grown adults playing children who are half grown, which mean that the characters are likely to all double in size before they are half way through their 20s.)

Although a real man should be measured in "responsibility" not kilograms, so never mind my hatespeech against persons detrimentally more attractive than I am.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They'd get in trouble casting real teens to do the steamy and raunchy stuff we see these adults doing. It's the same reason Skins US bombed hard.

You know why we'll never see an actual teen playing Paul Atreides? They can't show a teen doing the stuff he does.

12. Guy Gardener

A new Mary Queen of Scotts movie came out recently in the last couple weeks.

Visually it's very Polanski's MacBeth, but the film is also in %90 in the French language.

13. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Judging from how "historically inaccurate" this show is, I don't think the royals are meant to be portrayed as teens under the age of 18.

14. Guy Gardener

Wikipedia says that the character was 16 when she arrived at French Court, and that the historical figure was 16 when she married Francis.

"14" is just me being a dick not paying attention.

15. Gryffindorian

I like watching the shirtless guys on Teen Wolf. Although the characters are high school students, the actors are actually in their 20s, so I guess that's OK. ;) I'd be interested to see characters like Ferdinand Magellan and Christopher Columbus appear on Reign.

16. Guy Gardener

Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492

Mary married Francis in 1558.

Magellan died in 1521.

So I guess you're intrigued by the thought of a Zombie Apocalypse in the 16th century?

Personally I want to see Rowan Atkinson playing Blackadder II on the set of Reign, but that's very unlikely.

Imagine Catherine meeting Baldrick?

17. Gryffindorian

So that was a shocking revelation about Claude. She suffocated her twin baby sisters when she was just a little girl. :eek: No wonder those ghosts wouldn't leave Catherine alone.

The Protestant uprising has begun (and this appeared to be the "bomb" the minister referred to).

18. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:(

I can't even get my thoughts together.

19. Gryffindorian

That was just ... wrong. Did this really happen in history (Mary getting sexually assaulted by a Protestant extremist)? If it didn't, there was no reason to use rape as a plot device.

20. Guy Gardener

Yes there is.

Rape happens.

Rape survival happens.

Watching her survive rape and how it changes Mary is going to be interesting. It's called drama. Horrible things have to happen to "fictional" characters to make them interesting or they might as well be real people.

And as far as real goes, real people who have been raped now have a character here who they can identify with, which is hopefully helpful.

Notice how the Queen went from "If you leave now, even if you're captured, I'll see that you're spared" to a couple hours later post rape, on the throne "Kill them! Kill them all! No mercy! Kill them all!"

Something inside her has changed. Hardened. Darkened.

If Mary hadn't already been taking Catherine lessons, she's about to put her nose to the grind stone.