Gotta admit, Earth Starfleet Command's not very diverse

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by t_smitts, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Georgia= Scotland. USA=UK. So again I ask, has McCoy ever mentioned being from the USA or being American? Should we assume he's just a Georgian and not an American?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Georgia the state in the USA.

3. Nerys Myk

Yeah, I know. I was born there. I even share my birthday with DeForest Kelley

Scotland, one of the countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

4. teacake

OOooooo... no. Much as I would like there to be a place called Georgia that is not America I don't think we can assume that.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

McCoy never specifically mentions where he was from, Scotty did.

Wow, how did that enter this discussion?

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if you're being facetious or not but just in case, Georgia is also a small country in the Caucus region just northeast of Turkey.

7. teacake

Yes I know that. Sorry I seem to have jumped into the country discussion without paying quite enough attention :lol:

8. Nerys Myk

If Scotland can leave the UK, making Scotty not British, then Georgia can leave the USA, making McCoy not American.

9. Nerys Myk

IIRC, McCoy mentions he was from the "Old South". Based on his accent, Georgia is the logical location. If you prefer we can switch it to Iowa and Kirk. We know Kirk is from Iowa, but does he mention he's an American?

10. R. Star

So the Trekverse has a Soviet Union that never fell, a Southern Confederacy that apparently rose again and Scottish separatists gaining independence. How did this world ever unite again? :p

11. Nerys Myk

Nukes and aliens, man. It's a recipe for unity!

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And your point is?

I could say I'm from Aberdeen, Scotland. It wouldn't mean I was less British. Just that I'm from the part of the UK that is Scotland. Scotty was just proud of his Scottish heritge.

It would be like an American saying I'm from Iowa.

13. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't forget the Irish Reunification of 2024. :p
    In the same episode Crusher confirms that she is a North American but doesn't specify from which nation state on that continent.

Trek was always vague when it came to defining the extent to which modern nations continued their existence into Trek's time. Going by the accounts of various alien species earth should be comprised of city states.

14. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

United Earth sounds fairly clear to me: good, centralized, progressive rule with a moderately federal structure below. It cannot be too federal as you cannot get rid of hunger, war on so on via letting every nation or group playing its own game.

15. teacake

Science got rid of hunger and supposedly the knowing we are not alone in the universe got rid of war.

Personally I think the MU response to first contact is more likely.

16. R. Star

This would explain why Starfleet is so western oriented if it was Americans who killed the Vulcans, stole their technology and 'united' the world. ;)

17. teacake

They should have landed in Australia, as long as they had some Romulan ale somewhere on board everything would have been cool.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Good fences, make for good neighbors.

Having a United Earth apparently doesn't mean blandly mushing into a single national and cultural entity. From Picard's comments to Riker in The Defector, America as a country (and not a state) still exists in the 24th century.

:)

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently, none. Instead, she comes from that part of North America that is located on the Moon ("Conundrum").

Timo Saloniemi

20. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^That guy talked as if George Washington was her countryman. As for the moon, that was where she was born. I think it was implied her family spent generations in the States before going to the stars.

Harry Kim was born in South Carolina