Xbox One: $499

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by firehawk12, Jun 10, 2013.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Figure people would just want the headline. The Xbox One is 499 in the US!

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

But dont fret all you non US people, MS have been thinking of you.

EU €499.
    UK £430.

lol

3. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's this bad for the UK and EU, I can't wait to see how badly the Australians get screwed on XBone pricing.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The PS4 is listed on Amazon UK for £600, and now the XBO for £430.

Ouch.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That's a huge difference in price. PS4 will have to drop to at least £500 in the UK to make it competative. Yes the XBox 1 does have issues, but If I was voting with my wallet it would be the XBox 1.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can almost guarantee you that is a placeholder price, the XBO was listed at the same price the other day. The PS4 will launch in the $400-450 range.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, with a similar markup for the UK market bringing it to around £430-480 here or so.

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

That suits me, i just bought a boat....i mean a Wii-u. lol

9. TheGodBen

Nah, £340-380. The higher prices in European markets are partly down to VAT (which isn't included in US prices by convention) and EU environmental taxes on electronic goods. A direct dollars to euros conversion is normal these days.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

At the current exchange rate, $499 is £320. The UK XBO price is £430, 110 more.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

With VAT should be £384, WTF MICROSOFT.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The UK taken for a ride again when it comes to prices, what a surprise. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes available at £399.99 in the UK.

13. TheGodBen

Like I said, the EU has tougher environmental policies on electronic goods, one of which imposes the costs of collecting and recycling electronic products at their end of life onto the manufacturers, thus making that service free to the consumer. Electronics sold in the EU also must meet stricter environmental standards during manufacture. This makes the cost of selling electronic goods in the EU higher than in the US, so they typically charge more here.

Microsoft are still probably making a profit in that direct price conversion, but it's not as much as it first might seem.

14. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I think I will keep my 360 thanks, £400:eek:

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

$499 for a system whose games force you to pay again for every console you play it on, most of the games have monthly subscription fees, and is targeting its appeal to casual gamers.

[​IMG]

16. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless Microsoft does some serious backtracking, more hardcore gamers will be moving on to PC and/or PS4 in droves.

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Hardcore gamers buy everything.

18. TheGodBen

I would ordinarily agree with you, but the general sentiment among hardcore gamers towards the XBO is one of hatred towards its DRM. While it is not universal, there does appear to be a determination there to ensure that the XBO is not a success, for it is viewed as a threat to their hobby. Some will buy it regardless because it has games they want, but many will vote with their wallets and stick with PS4 and Wii U.

19. Scherazade

Scherazade Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Normally I would agree that hardcore gamers buy everything. I personally own a PS3, 360 and a Wii (purchased in that order). But I would say that one of the primary characteristics of hardcore gamers (or some of us, anyway) is our desire to keep the games we enjoy as long as we choose. With Microsoft essentially taking that choice away, many gamers will refuse to buy the console. I don't care how good an exclusive game looks for the Xbox One, if I can't own it, I won't purchase it. I know hardcore gamers are in the minority, but at the end of the day they are the ones who pre-order consoles and line up day one to pick it up. It's not a good idea to piss them off. Lastly, while hardcore gamers desire all the consoles, they still have to prioritize which ones to get first, price being one of the factors to be considered. With the PS4 being the cheaper option, I see many gamers reaching for that first (or asking for it as a gift) before considering the Xbox One.

20. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

After this, I don't see Microsoft selling much. This is an utter disaster. They're gonna be licking their wounds for a while, but for now Sony is going to have the lead in the console war.

XB1 won't be getting my money unless there is some clarification from Microsoft or until the first reviews come out.