STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

You may want to read this.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3404982/

Zimmer purposefully left out the trumpet fanfare. Its a hard reboot like Batman Begins was for Batman. You look at Superman Returns which was a homage to the classic films of the 70's and 80's Superman. And where is it now? A mediocre success that never got a sequel. With the director and writers (the same writer, director, producers of X-Men 1 and 2) all distancing themselves as far back as 2008 from any potential sequel. With Bryan Singer himself admitting the flaws of his movie and regrets.

2. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I've always prefaced my thoughts on this, with the fact that I am an "Old School" comic fan...

I understand completely that this movie wasn't made for folks like me.
    I was just hoping that they would have been able to balance it out a bit more without having to completely cut out what I've come to know as the Superman 'mythos', for all these years.

I just don't think it's going to sit well with the general movie-going public.
    It's too desolate and grim in my opinion.
    As I've said before, SUPERMAN was created to up-lift ones spirit, not show that he can be just as cold-hearted and dismal as the rest of us humans.
    I left the theater feeling a bit sad, not up-lifted and I think that's going to cost them long-term, at the box-office.
    This is not a movie I would want to see over and over.
    <shrug>

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Considering how well the darker batman series was received and the positive reception if Capt America and Thor. I think MoS has nothing to worry about. It will do Warner Bros projected 500 million.

I myself am a huge Superman fan. Silver Age all the way through today. While Superman Returns was a classic age film it didn't inspire repeated viewings. Supes has been morphed into a go get'em action film for the summer. Superman Returns was a romantic drama film released in the summer of 2006. The times have changed and Superman has to also if he is to be relevant. Snyder said he approached this film as if it were a real scenario in our world. The light comic book fantasy doesn't play as well as it did back in the 70's-90's. Tough pill for us old school fans but we have to swallow.

4. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Given the nature of what was at stake in the film, I don't think Man Of Steel had too much room for whimsy and humor. The next one may, and if he has to pal around with people like the Flash in a JL movie, there will be some levity.

"That being said..." (in Spock Prime voice) STiD had a good blend of humor and seriousness, so it can be done.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It'd be easier to swallow if it was a good film, but it isn't.

6. judgeroy

judgeroy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

LOL. I am an old school comics and Supes fan too. Shoot, I remember buy new Sgt Rock and Easy Co comics. With that said, the MOS is, IMO, a breath of fresh air. Gone are the old, cheesy camp boyscout Supes and they replace it with someone with heart and a salt of the earth attitude. the "real life" tack they took really made for an (I hate this word) epic show. Best Supes movie ever, yes even better than the sainted Chris Reeves. When you consider that a 1:30 in the afternoon show, in 2D is full and people gave it a standing ovation, that says something.

7. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

+1

8. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Saw STID for a fifth and final time tonight. Had one last close friend who still didn't get a chance in all my other excursions.

We were three (took a friend again who joined me last time) of six people in the theater total, but it was a 12:10 showing at a fairly mediocre theater and Man of Steel is opening, too. So, not really all that bad.

He loved it.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

STID tumbled on Friday to 1.44m due to losing hundreds of theatres and because of Man of Steel.

ST09 made $2.5m on its 5th Friday, 1m more than STID.

I think Into Darkness will finish with around $225m in total, $30m short of ST09 in-spite of 4 years ticket price inflation AND 3D. Ultimately the domestic run of STID is a disappointment.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And Star Trek 2009 wasn't competing with Iron Man 3 and Fast and the Furious 6. It's all about context. Into Darkness did great business overseas and will sell like hotcakes on Blu-ray/DVD.

When all is said and done, it will have been a huge financial success for Paramount.

11. Flake

Agreed.

However in the USA and Canada, the box office gross is a disappointment. That is what I am saying. Competition was more fierce but this means people chose the competition over Trek.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Which is the way its always been. Americans seem to have an easier time connecting with contemporary sci-fi than futuristic sci-fi and contemporary action than futuristic action.

I had hoped this one would do major business here, but was concerned with what it was competing with.

Plus, I'll say now, I don't think we see a budget cut with the third film. But I do think they will up the action to continue to appeal to foreign markets. Star Trek for the foreseeable future will be more a straight action franchise.

13. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any news about overseas gross?

It would be great if STID could past $450 million mark.
    Anyway for the next movie. Why dont Paramount do aka Kill Bill. Just write extra long story/script and make 2 movies. First should be release in December 2015 and second December 2016.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek already had a movie that killed Bill. It was called Generations.

15. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Movie is splitting opinion, I thought all the stuff before the fight was dull and lacked substance, certainly not better than 1/2/SR as far as depicting loneliness or Clark Kent.

16. Flake

Well in the United Kingdom, ST09 was a great success and was its biggest market outside of the USA and arguably the second most 'saturated' and if any foreign market would see a drop it would presumably be the UK for the same reasons as the USA (competition/content/release date)

But in the UK Star Trek Into Darkness has increased over Star Trek 2009.

STID currently: 24.8m Pounds
    ST09 total: 21.3m Pounds

Against the same competition. The UK has not increased its cinema screens like other countries and STID has not got a bigger release than ST09 did because with USA it was the most heavily saturated Trek market... but its increased! USA didnt. USA = disappointing gross. UK & Rest of world a success.

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

This is a few days old, but I wasn't being needlessly pedantic. As real Cinemascope is effectively a dead format, despite the continued use of the "Scope" nomenclature, I was trying to clarify if the comparison was being made to actual Cinemascope or not.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

But it will kick ass (by a huge margin) over STO9 overseas BO performance; and probably go on to be the highest grossing (overall) Star Trek film to date.

But why state all the facts when they don't fit your agenda?

Bottom line: STID is a BIG success for Paramount and the Star Trek franchise; and we'll get a third film with these actors, and characterizations.

19. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Just saw it a couple of hours ago. My wife and I both liked it very much. Into Darkness was better, however.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

How does STD fare against Trek 2009 when you take the 3D ticket prices into account?