"Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Is "Pilgrim of Eternity" good enough for your sense of continuity?

1. Yes, it felt enough like the real thing.

49 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. No, I can only accept what's on TV or film.

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. I don't know.

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Watching this production I often felt that if the right lens or filter slid into place I'd swear this was an authentic episode from TOS' original run.

I've never had that feeling from any of the other fan productions. I can commend their efforts and admire their enthusiasm, but in the end there are often too many differences that distract me from getting swept up in it. It's much like feeling an author hasn't been effective at getting and holding your attention sufficiently for you to really care about his or her story.

This really did it for me. :techman:

Now for the past several hours I've been pondering a question: Is it good enough?

Good enough for what(?) you are wondering.

No work outside of what TPTB put on-screen is considered canon or "official" Star Trek. That said a lot of fans privately exercise their own discretion in terms of what fits into their own schemes of continuity. I know I do it and following remarks posted in various discussions over the years here on the TBBS as well as other sites I know other fans do it, too. Some like to accept (or exclude) certain books or comics or even episodes, films and whole series.

And note, too, that the issue of TAS (in regard to continuity) is still debated among fans.

So from that perspective do you feel Star Trek Continues: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" is good enough to be considered as part of your sense of TOS' continuity?

We know that it will never be officially recognized and accepted, but the question is whether you personally/privately might recognize and accept it as part of TOS' continuity.

There's no right or wrong answer. It's just a thought to foster discussion.

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Wow, your choices in this poll are:
    (1) It was professional quality, not a mere fan film.
    (2) I am an idiot and I admit it. It was of professional quality, but because it wasn't on TV, I can't see that; or
    (3) I have no idea.

Thanks, I won't vote.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No, B means you liked it, but if it's not sanctioned by TPTB then you don't feel it can fit into TOS' continuity.

4. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I don't understand the point of this poll.

Is PoE excellent? Yes.
    Will I consider it (or any other fan film -- including my own) canon>? No.

I'd hate to see this forum degenerate into another 'what's canon?' controversy.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't see how I could have been any more clear. The question is in regards to what a person thinks personally as opposed to what TPTB do or don't label as official.

It doesn't have to degenerate into an argument as to what is canon because that's already a given in terms of what has been actually produced by Paramount and broadcast on television. That can't be disputed.

But one is still free to accept or disregard whatever one likes or doesn't like.

6. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I'm not exactly sure what we do with the poll results. It seems to me that after multiple posts in multiple threads on multiple forums on multiple boards, the discussion is already pretty well fostered. It seems kind of junior high school-ish: "Do you want to go with me to the dance? Check one: Yes or No."

You really, really, really, really, really like the first STC episode. We get that.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Since this poll is about continuity and not whether the show is good or not, pass.

8. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it "good enough for my sense of continuity"?

I don't even know what that means, nor do I understand why anyone would care. No matter what it means, any answer would simply be my personal opinion.

And I hate option B. If for instance, I didn't think this film was good enough for my sense of continuity, it would not necessarily follow that I only accept what's on TV or film. Other fan films might qualify. The answer just doesn't make sense.

Pass.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, like that is the question.

Everyone is always offering up their opinion around here so I don't get what the reticence or confusion is now.

10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I like it.

Your poll is ... well ... better left uncommented.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I am flabbergasted, really. I have re-read my original post several times and (just as I did before I posted it) and I cannot see how I could have explained my question more clearly.

We already know what is considered "official" Star Trek, that which has been broadcast on television or screened on film. That isn't in dispute. Knowing that there are films, particular episodes and even whole series individual fans privately ignore for whatever reason because in their opinion it doesn't fit into their view of Trek, their sense of what Trek's continuity should be like.

On the flip side nothing outside of television or film is considered "official" Star Trek, and that includes published novels, comics, fan fiction, games and fan films. Yet with that said individuals can often accept a non-recognized work as fitting in with their own personal sense of continuity.

For examples. Someone might think the Eugenics Wars books sufficiently explains in what they feel is a plausible way the early history of Khan and they accept it as how things likely happened during this period of Trek's history. Someone might accept Marvel Comics' Early Voyages comics as the depiction of Pike's early days aboard the Enterprise. They can accept them as "that's what happened" even though the works are not recognized by Paramount or CBS. And those are but two examples.

Another example. ENT is recognized as official Trek and yet I (as an individual) wholly disregard the series in its entirety because I don't feel it fits as the likely prehistory of TOS. It is a personal choice based on a personal opinion. My opinion doesn't carry any weight anywhere or with anyone except with me and that's all that needs to matter. Some people disregard TAS simply because it's animated rather than live-action.

Which, of course, now brings me to the question I've been pondering. I really like the STC episode "Pilgrim of Eternity." For the most part it feels quite authentic (in my opinion). And so I'm wondering:

A) I really like it and sufficiently enough that (even knowing it will never be officially recognized) I can accept it as a genuine episode in TOS' continuity and the Enterprise's 5-year mission, or

B) I like it, but it I don't feel it fits with TOS' continuity and I can only accept something in continuity if it's officially recognized, or

C) I don't how I feel about it.

The question isn't asking what is. It's asking your opinion.

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

where's the options for:

D) i don't like it and don't consider it anywhere in any continuinituinity

E)it's ok for a fanfilm, but accept this and reject enterprise?! you cray-cray!

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Leaving out a D option could have been on oversight on my part, but then again if someone doesn't like it I assumed they wouldn't be interested in this question.

14. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the title of this thread is 'is it good enough?'

so saying 'no' should be part of the spectrum

otherwise the thread should be 'it's good and you should all agree'

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That's your interpretation and you are essentially proving my point.

I don't care for certain series and films so I generally stay out of those threads and forums because why should I want to discuss those things if I'm not interested in them. I generally restrict my remarks regarding those series or films when they are brought into threads or forums I do participate in.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This, coupled with the absence of any other 'No' option, covers my initial reaction.

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

so whats the point in asking 'is it good enough?' then telling people they can't have a different opinion?

and then why did you make negative comments in for example, the 'original star trek with jj abrams verse' thread? makes that last paragraph very hypocritical

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I give up.

You bring the JJverse into the TOS forum and you're fair game if I don't agree with it.

Mods, you might as well close this.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I haven't watched it (yet).

But the only thing I care about is if its entertaining. I don't need it fit into some type of continuity to enjoy it. :shrug:

20. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

and this is about a fan film in the fan film forum so it's the place to talk about it. i don't even think 'pilgrim of eternity' was that bad a fan film, but not being welcome to express that alternate opinion is weird.