The Dark Knight to have a female villain?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

How is Morrison's Talia sexist exactly? I think he's written her as being arrogant, superior, elitist and she is all of those things. I detected no difference in his Talia than how she's been written anywhere else.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Azrael would make an interesting antagonist for a Batman film. A fairly straightforward adaptation of Sword of Azrael would work within the context of Nolan's work. (It would also be an ersatz James Bond film.)

Azrael as an opponent manipulated by Talia into taking on Batman, though, would be downright fantastic.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obsessed with being with Batman, to the point of mania. It was dreadfully off-putting.

Now, bear in mind I'm basing this off what I've read in the Batman and Son trade. Her brief appearance in Batman RIP wasn't much of anything substantial. My collection of Morrisonian Batman is patchy, largely because I keep trying to like it (because Morrison is, ordinarily, the shit), but I keep failing to do so.

Anyway, some sample lines to show you what I mean:

"You know I always get what I want, beloved. And what I want is you. I want us to fulfill my father's wishes and be a family [...] Join me and I promise I'll never threaten civilization again."

And Batman brushes her off and:

"Then it's war. And you're responsibile. My dear detective, my mad, bilionaire, brilliant genius with your secret hideouts [did Grant Morrison think we forgot which comic we were reading? shit, I thought this was about that guy from Krypton with the glasses, and further unnecessary description], your double life and your Justice League membership... it's not over."

Like, seriously? This is what all those cyphers in masks are going to die for? Talia al Ghul's loneliness? That's horrid.

Is she like that everywhere? Jeez.

On the plus side, Damian is great. I don't know why people were saying he sucked. He's easily the best thing in Morrison's Batman run. Little dude is friggin' hilarious.

4. Admiral_Young

Lil' Matches Malone. 'nuff said about Damien. He's probably my favorite character in comics right now. :)

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this had been Batman 3D, they would've cast Kelly Brook as Talia and Diora Baird as Selena. :p

6. Admiral_Young

Another female character we missed is Zee!!! I doubt Zatanna would even be considered because of her magic use. Unless Nolan wanted to do a Prestige thing with her.

7. Myasishchev

:lol:

Ok, I'd watch that.

8. Admiral_Young

I'd be thrilled if Zee was in but doubt it.

9. Myasishchev

Yeah, I didn't even consider Zatanna, although I like her character a lot. Never really considered her a Bat-family character. But also, she's so broken that it's hard enough to put her in a comic book with Supermen and Captain Marvels, let alone a semi-realist movie whose most super person is Bats.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think a good male villain/ally in conflict would be Superman...imagine that film. ;)

11. Myasishchev

They did. I really wish something had come of that.

Remember I Am Legend? I wish Will Smith had just gone into the abandoned cineplex, salvaged the print of Petersen's Batman vs. Superman, and let us watch him watch that for two hours.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Zatanna- Are you watching closely............

Or the MadHater

Fan- Bruce was still in the dream!!!

;)

13. Admiral_Young

Superman Vs Batman:Aslyum was an awful read if you've ever had a chance to read that script, another movie I'm glad didn't get made. I guess ever since "Batman: The Animated Series" tied Zee into Bruce's training that I've included her as part of the Bat-Family even though technically she isn't. Dini of course is a huge Zatanna fan as I am and played around with a possible romance in his Detective run. They both agreed to be friends and Bruce forgave her for the mind wiping incident.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

This. Rachel Weisz playing Talia or Selena Kyle would just be amazing. Simply amazing. It must happen.

15. Admiral_Young

Could you imagine if we somehow got Rachel playing Selena (my absolute dream casting for Catwoman) and Natalie Portman for Talia? Nat seems everywhere and rumored for everything these days thanks to the rave early reviews for her performance in "Black Swan".

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd actually go with Rachel Weisz as Ducards daughter and Keira Knightley for Salena Kyle. A cat burglar and Assassin seems like they would fit in Nolans world.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Stax of IGN had this to say about what he's hearing for the female leads and main villain of The Dark Knight Rises on his Twitter:

I would have no problem if this turned out to be true. I'm really pulling for Strange, and The Duchess and Atonement convinced me that Knightley is a very strong actress when given the right material.

18. Admiral_Young

Sarah Essen keeps cropping up...interesting. I would not be surprised if the third movie reveals that Gordon's wife left him after the events of "The Dark Knight". That strain being too much for her to take. I think that is why she left in the comcis.

19. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Part of me wants to see them cast both Knightley and Portman and somehow play up their physical similarity (though it's obviously not as great as it once was).

20. Admiral_Young

Keira was an uncredited handmaiden in Phantom Menace ;)