Ben Cross or Mark Leanord?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by darkshadow0001, Jun 10, 2009.

?

new SAREK

Poll closed Jun 17, 2009.
  1. Mark Lenard is Sarek...but I like this new one too

26 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Awful casting!!! or as some might say CASTING VIOLATION!

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen any posts made about Spock's father yet, although he did have a minor role in the film. He also did in the previous Kirk era movies, but how did you think Ben Cross's portrayal of Sarek played out to be? I think he did very well, he was a good Sarek for the movie but like Spock, Leanord had the voice and stemina to play the character.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Mark's name is spelled "Lenard"; I'm not sure why it gives so many people so much trouble.

Anyway, there were quite a number of comments made about Sarek and comparisons made between Ben Cross' portrayal and Lenard's in the pinned Grading & Discussion thread, as well as in other threads in this forum.

3. Qued

Qued Ensign Red Shirt

Leanord's Sarek always had this feel to him like you didn't want to cross him. Cross just looked sad.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Ben Cross or Mark Lenard?

I thought Ben Cross played Sarek very well. We all know there's no one who'll ever have a voice like Mark Lenard did. So no other Sarek actor could copy him - that's a given. Cross made the role his own, and did it well, IMHO.

5. ManaByte

ManaByte Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Worst casting in the movie. He lacked the gravitas of Leonard and came off as both weak and lacking the aura of wisdom Leonard had.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought he did an excellent job with the small role he had, and while he is no Mark Lenard, he is Ben Cross, and he had to make it his role. I believe he did so admirably.

J.

7. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I might have liked Derek Jacobi as Sarek if we're going British thespian.

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

He didnt do as well as the original, but in some ways I don't think it is a fair comparison. While an important role, it isn't a very large one so it is hard to compare the small amount of screen time Cross had with the more significant amount of screen time Lenard had

9. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mr. Owl, how many different spellings are there for "Lenard"? This thread is sure to find out. :p

10. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I had no issue with Ben Cross's portrayal as Spock's father. But was he Mark Lenard's Sarek? Nope.

11. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Crawss was ok, but Lioanoaaerd was the bestest Sorak.

12. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time to start a "Badass Mark Lenard thread". :)

13. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Like so many have said, he's no Mark Lenard, but I liked his performance. He seemed to carry the arrogance and emotionless of the adult Vulcan.

14. ManaByte

Mark Leonard carried himself like a wise aged Vulcan who walked into a room and people respected him just out of his mere presence.

Cross just came off as an arrogant jerk.

15. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I've tried really hard not to rag on Pegg, Urban or Cross since they pretty much couldn't win having to follow such iconic (and beloved) performers who are no longer with us.

In Cross' case, I really don't think anyone could've managed to match what Mark brought to the role. But I really like what he did with Sarek. He made him more vulnerable and I liked his ability to admit the depth of his love for his wife to his son.

16. ManaByte

While it would've cost too much, Liam Neeson could've done Sarek better.

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I found he filled the role ably, as did all the others. Whenever someone is recast, I make a serious effort to NOT compare them to their predecessors except in the broadest terms. I try to evaluate them in terms of the characters they portray, not the actors they replace. It's not perfect (I cannot simply "forget" what I've come to know so well) but it helps to take a "theatrical" approach (stage play). In the same way I can enjoy both Olivier and Brannagh in Henry V (and I do not make an effort to compare them to each other as performers), I can enjoy Shatner and Pine as Kirk, Quinto and Nimoy as Spock and Lenard and Cross as Sarek, for example.

This is not to say I don't have favourites, but I try to judge the performers against the roles, rather than against each other.

18. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Mark Lenard's Sarek had more of an edge to him; but Ben Cross had plenty under the surface, IMO.

He managed to convey a Vulcan suffering horror and grief at the moment his wife failed to appear on the transporter pad -- without moving a muscle. I felt very sad for him.

And he was fortunate to be given the best line the character has ever had: "You asked me once why I married your mother; I married her because I loved her!"

His scene with Quinto in the transporter room when both characters were grieving was very moving to me.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I agree with others: Ben Cross did very well as Spock's father, but Lenard's Sarek had a more dangerous edge.

Arlo, I spurted orange juice from my nose. And it's all your fault.

20. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

(Was that a reference to "Flaaaares is alright, but it's taters whats feeds ya?" -- Tony Hancock)