Blssdwlf's TOS and TOS Movie Era ships

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure if I like it. It's not terrible, but I'm really not digging the non-straight pylons. The over-under nacelles are kinda cool, but I suppose that Star Fleet would design new, bigger engines rather than doubling up classic Connie nacelles?

Just my two cents. The actual modelling looks pretty great.

--Alex

2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Albertese - Agreed. It was more of a thought exercise to see if it was workable. I think in the context of TOS is that they already have straight pylons so there really needs to be a good reason to make them non-straight. The bigger engines I just slapped together to play with the idea and if I did more with the model I would build out a new design. :)

3. blssdwlf

Speaking of those bigger engines, I just noticed how similar they are to the Atlas class nacelles. The main difference is that I filled the gap between the top and bottom nacelles with Excelsior-style grilles. Small world :)

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's one of the few four nacelle ships I like.

Great job.

5. blssdwlf

I've been stewing on this design for a while so I thought I'd put up a WIP on my take of the TOS Class J Starship aka Mudd's stolen cargo ship aka same type of ship that is used as Cadet Vessel that Pike has an accident on.

I wanted to keep the shape as seen in "Mudd's Women" and make it large enough to be a cadet vessel and cargo ship in civilian life. It is meant to be able to land on planets and has a loading door at the bow of the ship. Purple block is used as scale (6' person).

[​IMG]

aridas sofia, BK613, Cyfa and 9 others like this.
  6. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

The idea you have of taking a blurry TOS ship and fleshing it out is a challenging one! You have my respect!

This is a great start. Can't wait to see more!

publiusr and Spaceship Jo like this.
  7. blssdwlf

Thanks Donny!

8. Donnewtype

Donnewtype Lieutenant Red Shirt

Fantastic work blssdwlf. May I also say thank you for the work that you've posted here as well. Finding your deck by deck build of the TOS Enterprise on Google is what helped push me to try building the Enterprise as well as some of the other TOS ships in 3d myself. Keep up the inspirational work.

blssdwlf likes this.
  9. blssdwlf

Wow, I'm honored @Donnewtype :beer: and I'm enjoying seeing the progress on your shuttle, Enterprise and Scout/Destroyer build outs. Good stuff! :)

10. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

Brilliant extrapolation and interpretation of that shape :)

11. blssdwlf

Thanks Atolm! :beer:

Atolm likes this.
  12. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

NP... I really love it! very TOS but also very classic Sci-Fi in general. Excellent insight bro.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A work of love.

14. blssdwlf

While catching some spare time to do some modeling I opted to pause on my TOS Enterprise build and dusted off my Class J cargo ship. She's scaled up a little bit with a simplified hull shape.

[​IMG]

15. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Okay, you win. I think your scale is way too big, but the overall shape here is miles above everyone else's! This is the best match by far to the blobby shape we see in TOS.

I think I may be officially logging this one into my private headcanon.

--Alex

Henoch likes this.
  16. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

No nacelles, so, FLT impulse drive? (not really a question rather to point out that not all TOS ships had nacelles.) :)

17. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Although I’m still a big fan of the overall design extrapolation, I have to agree with @Albertese about the scale. Sizing it up like you have (and all the additional windows) makes it feel like less of a private cargo ship, and almost more like a mid-sized cruise vessel.

What was the reasoning for the increase in scale?

18. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What everyone else said about the size and the placement of the nav lights seem weird as well, I actually like the overall direction of your older version more.

19. blssdwlf

A slightly revised version :D

[​IMG]

LOL, thanks Alex :D

Yes, in my head canon, Impulse engines in TOS are all FTL-capable. :)

Good question @Donny... I had scaled her up so that she could function as a cadet starship. In my mind that meant in Starfleet trim she would have interior facilities that would resemble what's in other starships and room enough to train a good class of cadets. So I scaled it up to fit two decks and a Season 1 engine room in the upper hull. The bottom hull would contain fuel and machinery and a multipurpose flight/cargo bay with doors on port and starboard sides. The ship is meant to be able to land and take-off from planets.

In civilian form, most of the Starfleet gear is removed, leaving the cargo bay below and civilian grade, automated machinery above with crew and passenger cabins.

I tried to keep her "small" relative to the Enterprise (included for scale).

I'd like to think that Harry Mudd being as grandiose and flamboyant as he is in TOS opted to avoid a tiny ship and went for something of this size or even bigger :)

Yep, I'm still playing with the nav lights. After almost 2 years? I couldn't get back in the same mindset of where I wanted to go with the older version.

On a tangent - One thing I'm kind of wondering about is whether Star Trek was doing a tongue-in-cheek reference to Lost In Space's Jupiter spacecraft with the "Class J" designation. The silhouettes of the two ships from the front bears a passing similarity with only the bottom being shallower on the Lost In Space ship.

EDIT: Corrected image. The original one I had labeled the Enterprise to Class J as a "scale" when I should have labeled the Enterprises as 1080' and 947' length for reference. My Class J is 202' long.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  20. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Oh wow, I am SO glad you dusted this off, if for no other reason it resurfaces this thread that I missed during my extended absence around here. (Really digging the TOS-era Defiant-class starship, btw.)

Blurry starships were one of the few gripes I had with TOS, so I salute your take on Harry Mudd's ship. And I agree--Harry doesn't do things small. Hell, he tried to take over the Enterprise twice (three times if you count "Mudd's Passion"!) so I think your class-J cargo ship is sized just about perfectly. It's small (compared to the Enterprise) but it's yuuuuge for one egomaniac and his three, er, cargo items. :D

blssdwlf and BK613 like this.