Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 14 2014, 05:04 PM   #91
billcosby
Commodore

Re: If you could make ONE change to each trek series...

TOS: Another season.
TNG: Another season.
DS9: Ro Laren as a major character (but not replacing Kira).
VOY: Replace the entire cast, minus the Doctor.
ENT: Another season.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 06:23 PM   #92
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

For the majority of the shows run, Belanna's hair was "helmet hair," it had no style or personality.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 07:30 PM   #93
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

billcosby wrote: View Post
TOS: Another season.
I'd have been in favor of this if they'd shown the end of the five-year mission and the Enterprise's return to Earth. It would have been a cool setup for TMP.

TNG: Another season.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. TNG's seventh season was extremely weak compared to the previous three or four. "All Good Things..." was a great finale, but the series itself was on its last legs. Another season may have killed the show and made films impossible.

DS9: Ro Laren as a major character (but not replacing Kira).
I like this idea. But would you have given Ro a role similar to what she had in the re-launch novels, or would she have been a member of the Maquis?

I'd have gotten rid of Beltran, Wang and Phillips, all of whom irritated me to no end. But I love Kate Mulgrew as Janeway despite how poorly her character was written. The same goes for Robert Duncan McNeil as Tom Paris, probably my favorite character of the series. I also like Jeri Ryan a great deal despite her being overused compared to the rest of the cast. It's not her fault she's a beautiful woman or that TPTB wanted to use her to market the show.

ENT: Another season.
If and only if they did the Romulan War.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 02:47 PM   #94
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Clark Terrell wrote: View Post
I'd have gotten rid of Beltran, Wang and Phillips, all of whom irritated me to no end. But I love Kate Mulgrew as Janeway despite how poorly her character was written. The same goes for Robert Duncan McNeil as Tom Paris, probably my favorite character of the series. I also like Jeri Ryan a great deal despite her being overused compared to the rest of the cast. It's not her fault she's a beautiful woman or that TPTB wanted to use her to market the show.
The only characters I'd want to see being retained would be: Janeway (written and developed consistently), Tuvok (probably the best Vulcan), Torres (a refreshing take on Klingons), Paris (he was pretty inoffensive during the show) and Kes (I will never forgive the PTB for axing her). Chakotay and Kim were just dullness personified, the EMH was just hammy and far too convenient to have around, Neelix was grating, and Seven was just tiresome and also made things far too easy for them.
Old March 15 2014, 03:33 PM   #95
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

TOS: Much less womanizing for Kirk (or at least have McCoy giving him shots for VD occasionally.)

TNG: A LOT LESS "perfection" within the main cast. People getting along all the time is boring.

DS9: Skip season one (snore) and go straight to season two.

VOY: In episode one marry off Neelix and Kes and send them off on a really really really long honeymoon.

ENT: Cast Connor Trinneer as captain.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 06:34 PM   #96
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I think for all of them I would have a slightly larger recurring cast but with fewer of the recurring characters appearing in each episode to mix up relationships, politics, and attitudes more and maybe kill off a few recurring characters as they went i.e.

1. TOS - keep using Rand and use other characters more and more often as a focus for aspects of the plot like first half of season one.
2. TNG - keep using Tasha, Ro, Vash, Tomalok etc
3. Go bak in time and kill whoever thought it was a good idea for Kai Winn to shag a Pah wraith.
4. Chell & the dodgy Maquis, the twins, keep Kes around until Year of Hell
5. Keep using Shran etc more like the fourth season.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 07:16 PM   #97
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

One change I would make to the universe in general is I would make it so the transporter only works if there's a physical transporter fixture on both ends.

The transporter is one of those story-breaking technologies where they have to constantly make excuses why you can't just use it and end the story, and substitutes technobabble solutions for dramatic action solutions. Limiting its reach would eliminate the need for a lot of excuses not to use it and create a lot more dramatic endings.

Kind of like Stargate had those epic ground battles at the gate, Star Trek would have to have more of those instead of just "I finally cut through the interference captain! I've got him!"
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 07:19 PM   #98
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
One change I would make to the universe in general is I would make it so the transporter only works if there's a physical transporter fixture on both ends.
I agree with this and find that the transporter becomes an all too convenient escape hatch for the characters when they get into trouble. I can accept that there may be auxiliary transporter circuits on the bridge or elsewhere that enable other forms of site-to-site transport, but the use of these mechanisms should come at the cost of considerable power loss.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote