Sci-fi creatives with clout?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by xortex, Jan 11, 2012.

1. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Who are the best sci-fi guys out there with enough clout to pitch another series to Les Moonves and CBS for let's say AMC or TNT? Potential showrunners?

Joe Menosky? He's a thinker and an originator.
    Brian Fuller? I don't think he gets it and would only make it worse under the pretense of trying to make it better. Plus he's not a thinker, just a clever twisting tinkerer like RDM.

It can't be just about space tourism and same old same old like Enterprise was. So it's got to be someone like GR with heart and a great idea - a story to tell and something to say and a visionary and not just a hired gun/stud who has no real love for it or great need and passion to see it happen and realize his dream, with the ability to pitch to Les or at least send him an e-mail tha's not going to be immediately deleted or never seen, etc..

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ron Moore or GTFO.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

JJ Abrams

Roberto Orci

Alex Kurtzman

4. xortex

Who is GTFO?

5. Nerys Myk

Getty Theo Frank-Ouse. Big name in SF, perhaps the biggest.

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

San Francisco?

7. Nerys Myk

San Fernando.

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why are you even bothering to ask? Anyone with enough clout you will call "a suit or son of a suit", and not fit your narrow definition of creative. I'm beginning to think you're not just massively delusional, but are instead a massive troll having fun filling this board with nonsense.

9. xortex

I don't call everybody a son of a suit. Only those who uphold corperate ideals.
    JJ is a kid who gets into his father's things and messes it all up like General Trelain.
    My question is who would you like see take on the Trek franchise with both the creative ability and the clout to be taken seriously, in a twenty second elevator pitch, that its. I imagine that taking it away from JJ won't be easy and akin to taking it away from V'ger.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  10. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If only Irwin Allen was still around to give us his take on Star Trek. Or maybe Sherwood Schwartz!....

11. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Greg Rucka or Gail Simone...

would love to see either of those working on a Trek project...

both are absolutely fantastic writers and well known to the novel / comics crowd... they work with a lot of sci-fi / fantasy and have enough recognition to pull it off really well

M

12. Admiral Buzzkill

There's no reason that someone without substantial experience in television and specifically some experience as a producer would or should be offered a franchise like this.

They might be hired as writers.

13. xortex

Which goes back to my point that nobody is going to convert their substantial dream project into Trek just so that Trek can be revitalized as that would mean handing over control of it to the likes of someone like JJ Abrams who is gonna run through it with an ice cream cone and over it with an ice cream truck. So an original idea for a break through Trek premise is not going to be sacrificed to 'save' Trek just to bring it back to tv. It's still owned by the CBS corperate megaconglomerate that breeds suits and the hired mediocre guns that work for them and do their bidding.
    These people - Erik Storey, chief devil exec at NBC Sy-fy and Les Moonves are protected by walls of very nasty people clawing their way to the top and are virtually impervious. Meanwhile I hear that Speilberg is very approachable. It must just be NY. Santa has to deliver presents here in a tank.

14. Nerys Myk

Someone with a "dream project" wouldn't/shouldn't be trying to convert it into a Star Trek show in the first place.

From what you've said in other threads your ideas ( and I use the term loosely) are a worse "ice cream truck accident" than anything Berman or Abrams has done. They at least have some respect for what Trek is.

Face it, Abrams has clout, the "SciFi background", TV experience and is more than just a guy playing with his fathers toys or a son of a suit. On TV he's given us Lost, Fringe, Alias, Felicity and Undercovers. Not exactly the cookie cutter fair one would expect from the son of a suit. Not all were hits but most garnered critical praise and fan followings. If they want to go the TV route, Abrams would probably be their first stop.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Exactly. The idea that Star Trek needs a guy who will somehow turn it into something unrecognizably new in order to succeed is completely wrong. Someone like Abrams or, in a different way, Moore is the kind of person who can do something entertaining with Trek.

16. xortex

If you're content with the broader sadistic appeal of whipping a mule up a hill, who am I to argue. Lost and Fringe are jokes.

17. Nerys Myk

Credibility just flew out the window.

18. Nerys Myk

Who am i kidding? Nothing in your posts have never been credible:guffaw:

19. xortex

Try not to double post if you've got nothing to say. OK, sport?

20. Nerys Myk

Has the veil been dropped? That's the most coherent thing you've ever written! Hell, my last two posts say more than all your previous ones!:guffaw: