Retro Review: Civil Defense

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TrekToday, Sep 28, 2012.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When an automated Cardassian self-defense program is activated, not even Gul Dukat can save Deep Space Nine. Plot Summary: While working with Jake on converting the station’s ore processing facility to handle deuterium, O’Brien tries to delete a file and inadvertently triggers a Cardassian security program designed to suppress a Bajoran worker revolt. The two [...]

More...

2. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched this episode yesterday in my rewatch, and I happen to think it just a fun episode and does not try to be anything more then it is. And it fun to watch, which is something that people forget sometimes.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a sucker for escalating suspense plots, and "Civil Defense" is an excellent example, on par with the early "Enemy Within". Alas, a fundamental problem with such plots is that afterwards, the audience can claim that simple and sensible steps would have prevented the whole thing from happening, and thus the characters are all morons...

Of course, that's the very point of escalating suspense: there's absolutely no reason to take the simple and sensible steps originally. Unless you are a paranoid Cardassian, that is - and it's delightful to find out that Garak actually comes prepared, effortlessly "walking through walls" when everybody else is caught in a deadly trap. All the more enjoyable, then, to see Garak realize he hasn't been paranoid enough...

Like a well-structured Mozart comedic opera, the episode even escalates the cast, adding first Garak and then Dukat into the mix until finally everybody is singing septetto for their lives. DS9 seldom manages to do something this involved without resorting to B or C plots. The very integrity of this episode is its biggest strength.

Timo Saloniemi

4. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

Civil Defense: I want the scene of Dukat making these videos. “Cut! Ok Dukat, once again, but
    a bit more menacing. But not too menacing. Let the Bajoran workers know you’re really looking
    out for them, ok roll camera!”