Next Microsoft OS "Windows Blue" leaked online

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, if that's the future of Windows, I'll just stick to Windows 7 until it loses support, and then switch permanently to a Linux distro, likely Ubuntu or Mint. Windows 8 is a step back for desktop users. Windows Blue/9 seems to be half a step forward, but it's still half a step back.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Microsoft: taking their best OS ever, and abandoning it for a completely shit business strategy.

Windows 7, cold dead hands, yada yada.

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is a terrible name. That just makes me think of blue screen of death. A whole operating system based around the BSOD.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a service pack* not 'the next version of the OS' - nothing will ever be released called Windows Blue because that is simply an internal name for the release. That PC world article is a mishmash of half-truths and misunderstandings.

* although Microsoft are doing away with the service pack terminology.

6. Amaris

MS Exec:"Sweet Zombie Jesus! Windows 7 is the best selling OS since Windows XP!"
    MS Project Leader: "Ooh, yeah, I know. Sorry about that. Don't worry, we'll fuck it up real good next time."

- Two years later -

MS Exec: "Incredible! Windows 8 is barely selling, and many users are angry because they still use desktops as their primary PC."
    MS Project Leader: "You think that's great? We're adding more features that are useless to desktop PCs! This next OS will probably sell even less than Windows 8!"
    MS Exec: "I love it! Son, you're going to go far!"

It makes me think of Pepsi Blue.

7. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Win7 for ever. And ever.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it's a hop?

9. Candlelight

There's a lot of discussion about this, most concluding this actually is a full OS.

I keep popping in and out of Beta Archive:

http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27716

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I've used Win8 for about five minutes total, so I'm hardly an expert. But this definitely seems like another step in the wrong direction.

I think we should all just roll back to abaci and be done with it.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I feel like I should buy a new laptop while I can still get Windows 7

12. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Good luck. I bought a new laptop at Best Buy in November, and it came with Windows 8.

Unless you're talking about removing Win8 and installing Win7 in its place... in which case, have at it. :)

13. Amaris

Yep. Good luck, though. Without Windows 8 Pro, you won't have downgrade rights, which means you'll be on your own. That and a lot of laptop manufacturers are making deals with Windows on 8, where the hardware is certified for 8 but not for 7, as they look down on downgrading, so no one is guaranteeing it won't create a giant clusterfuck when you try.

I've done a couple of downgrades, and they're not too difficult, but they can be a pain in the ass if the drivers refuse to work on Windows 7. Then you have to go searching for compatible drivers, which can be time consuming. Still, it's better than Windows 8. I've set up a few new laptops running Windows 8, and I'd rather gnaw my own arm off than deal with that again.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

There are some BestBuy laptops that are still Win7. I'll have to check how good they are, though.

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't like the Modern UI crap in Windows 8 either, but desktop mode is pretty much everything Win 7 was but a little faster and better.

16. Candlelight

I don't know why people complain about Windows 8. I set my computer up in about half an hour and it was just as functional as Windows 7. I installed Classic Shell as a precaution but actually found myself using the start menu less. I don't use Metro very much mainly because the applications I use aren't in Metro so I have no need to visit it. Plus without a touch screen it's not as effective.

But I wouldn't describe it as horrible. Windows Blue with it's SkyDrive-pretending-to-be-iCloud with tight integration for backups etc looks quite good.

17. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

"Windows Blue" is a Windows 8 update. I's not a new OS.

Although I would argue Windows 8 (or Windows 7 for that matter) are not new OS's either. They are just marketed that way.

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been using Windows RT on my tablet for a couple of weeks and I love it. I still use Windows 7 on my home computer, but I wouldn't mind switching to 8.

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not so much that Win8 is bad, but that it represents an ideological shift in Microsoft that's moving towards closed systems. You said it yourself, desktop mode in Win8 is not fully functional by default, to get the same sort of functionality as Win7 you have to download third party software. The OS by default tries to get you to use the new Start screen, and to use Modern apps that you can only purchase from the Windows Store. I'm sure Win8 has plenty of new stuff that makes it a worthwhile upgrade for you, the new task manager and file transfer UI's are particularly nice. But for me, and curmudgeons like me, I don't want to reward Microsoft with my money for moving in a direction I don't want them to go down, and as a consumer I can only vote with my wallet.

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Probably part of the naming scheme that brought us Windows Azure.

This is interesting, looks like it's an update for Windows 8 rather than a new OS. I've had a bit of experience with Windows 8 recently, setting up a laptop for a cousin and then a new PC for my parents, and I have to say I can see it working for my parents, I can see it working on a tablet for myself, but I can't see it being anything I want to run on a desktop or laptop.
    So much so, in fact, that I need a new laptop myself and in my head Windows 8 isn't even an option. I'm either try and grab a windows 7 while still available or get a Windows 8 one and install Ubuntu or Mint on there.
    The other option is a Chromebook, which hadn't really been something I'd considered until MS decided Windows 8 was the future.