HMV to go into administration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JoeZhang, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

And another one bits the dust - many a Saturday I would spend looking for items (and then scanning the barcode so that I could buy cheaper on amazon).

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Sad. Especially for workers. I still miss Tower Records, esp the Strip one. :sigh:

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Better use up my HMV points.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It might live on, online.

5. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I felt sad when I heard that HMV was brought out buy another company here. I knew there was problems then. Anyways, a sad day.

6. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I used to love going to HMV, but I only shop in there now if I have a gift card. They're just too expensive, and can't compete with the likes of Amazon.

It's a shame for all the staff though.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No big fan of HMV, but sad that that is the end of High Street music shops.

8. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Feel for the staff, I was on the good ship Borders when it sank back in 2009, working in retail during administration is about as worse as it gets. Monumental loss to the industry if it goes under.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Soon Walmart will be the only place to get physical copies of anything. I trired supporting HMV before Xmas and I kind of figured this would happen.
    Our grandkids will go to 'store' museums one day. "You could hold something before you bought it? Wow!"

Incredible fact from the article: "Despite its troubled position, the retailer still sells 27% of all DVDs and Blu-Ray discs and 38% of the physical music market."
    :confused

10. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073

In this article it says that 73.4% of music and film are downloaded now, I guess only selling 30-40% of the remaining 27% isn't going to keep a business as big as HMV viably profitable.

11. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

noooo I have season 4 of tng on order there

12. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

HMV Canada is unaffected by this, it was split off in 2011.

13. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very sad as you can see on this graphic it has been coming for a long time: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ma...ruggling-retailer-HMV-set-administrators.html
    I have seen our price go, then tower, then virgin who became zavi then went. Hmv who sold waterstones a couple of years back have dropped like a stone. Amazon who are based in Ireland and jersey to keep taxes low mean high street stores cannot compete. Then there was mp3 which iTunes and others cained them on. Electrical goods never paid off for them. Now the banks have pulled the plug they will follow comet, woolworths(uk) Jessops and the others into the history books, only question is is who is next?

14. Steven321

Steven321 Ensign Red Shirt

I used to work at WHSmith next door to an HMV, I went in there a few times on my dinner breaks (about 2 years ago now) and even then a lot of the staff told me that they were concerned about their job security, at the time then it wasn't great either and they could have been in this situation then.

As long as there is music and movies etc available to download from the Internet, stores like this will continue to decline and go out of business.

15. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, according to their Twitter feed, HMV Canada did decent sales this Xmas season.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well the Jersey loophole is being closed (maybe too late for HMV) and Play for one are folding up their tents.

Thing is I don't have a lot of sympathy for HMV, I remember back in the day (the day being the mid to late ninties/early noughties) before online shopping became the norm, and HMV was always expensive. I pretty much used to always end up buying at Virgin because most of the time it was cheaper.

I also wonder if they didn't get a bit big for their boots during the good times. It's only a couple of years ago that there were three HMV stores in Nottingham, plus FOPP once they bought its store in Nottingham as well. I thought it was madness at the time. They stripped down to one store and FOPP but too late I think.

It is sad though. will there be much of a Highstreet left soon?

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Robert Peston makes some interesting points here maybe HMV won't dissapear from the highstreet completely?

18. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

HMV was a staple of my youth but lately I could never be bothered to go in. Too, too expensive. Still, it's sad to see all those people lose their jobs. And at Jessops, too.

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, this is good news for independent record shops at any rate, hopefully this will push some of the remaining business back their way. HMV and the other giant music retailers did take it off them in the first place, after all.

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well didn't GAME enter administration? They still have stores dotted around.