(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend to agree. Young Nigel's got it pretty sweet at Burton. That particular challenge allows him to enjoy both the professional side and the family side in a healthily balanced manner. He probably wouldn't have that at a league club, particularly in the higher echelons. I know that when the Derby job and Forest job have come up in the past he's never gone out of his way to be linked with them, and I'm sure on occasion he's stated a preference that he didn't want them (at least not at the time). Sounds to me like someone who knows exactly where there personal priorities lie and doesn't want to sacrifice certain things. Fair play to him IMO.

Would I want him at Derby? Honestly, joking aside, don't really know. Don't really care that he played for Forest, it would be the experience that would put me off initially I think. Let's be fair, if we were looking for another manager, would we be happy at being linked with any other non-league manager? I'd wager not. Obviously decent managers can work their way up the ranks though, didn't Martin O'Neil start with Wycombe in the conference?

Re Earnshaw, I think you're spot-on. Personally, I think he's got bags of talent, and will undoubtedly score goals in the CCC, but the fact that PJ, BD and JT have all had concerns over him, to me, says there's something wrong somewhere.

I've heard that we'll be looking to showboat against Forest in November. PJ's apparently said that he'll be recalling Camara to play at LB and with Teale now back at PPS, he'll line up on the right wing. We're just looking into special dispensation to bring Eddie Lewis back for one game on the left wing and we're all sorted. Effectively we'd be playing with 8 men, but that's probably still more than enough to beat the red dogs! :lol:

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly, violent conduct doesn't just mean stamping on someone, but using the arms in a challenge. He dragged Jo down - that's just not allowed. The FA are sending out the message that this is acceptable.

3. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, not only was the card rescinded, Mark Halsey was banished to refereeing a League Two game this weekend. Not sure what to make of that.

4. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Well I for one completely support the FA's decision.

Garak, biased

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Not spoken on this yet but....

The FA are idiots, Terry fouled someone with 100% intent and not even with his legs, the idiot dragged him down...FFS you get a yellow card for taking your shirt off and this gets nothing from FA.

This is the reason I have no respect for the FA and why I don't want Terry as ENG captain, yes all defenders even Rio foul but I've never seen Rio try to hump someones leg on a Saturday Afternoon :p

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Not during the season, anyway.

We got lucky last night. We were solid enough at the back but there was no bite to our attack. Adebayor, RvP and Theo looked half asleep and we barely saw anything out of Fabregas. Gallas has a habit of bailing us out at vital moments.

I like this idea if West Ham can't find a paying sponsor:

7. TheArsenal

The penalty against Sagna was a bit harsh, so I feel it was a fair outcome all said. It was always going to be a tricky fixture as Arsenal seem a bit cursed when they venture to that part of the world. Even so, if that's all the attack Kiev could muster at home, I have no worries about the return leg.

I was more surprised by United's inability to get the full points against Villarreal. In fact, with a flick (I forgot who took the shot) that hit the inside of the post and bounced out, they were lucky not to lose. Pires did some nice work, but is clearly not the player he was at Arsenal. But he was still Arsenal as far as Old Trafford were concerned, they booed his every touch.

The bad news is Show Pony doesn't look too far off the pace - and based on an ovation given to him for just warming up, the fans still support him - so United's recent form looks to be turned around soon.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

That was Villarreal only real shot so Utd deserved to win since they had complete control of the game and hit the post with Evans and Tevez had his shot cleared off the line.

9. TheArsenal

I hope you're not expecting me to look at a United game with anything like an unbiased eye? ;)

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Two important bits of Arsenal news.

Arsenal have announced pre-tax profits of £36.7m for the financial year, a record up from £26.9m last year.

In addition, Stan Kroenke has been appointed to the Board of Directors.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Scummer got thrashed 6-0 today :rommie:

And wtf was that in the Watford/Reading game yesterday - a goal was given when the ball bounced half a yard outside the post. :wtf:

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Thanks to our friends at Netresult, I can't find any video of that to post. It was absolutely bizarre, though. It clearly didn't go in. Only one man in that stadium thought it was a goal.

In other news, the mighty Arsenal are back where they belong - top of the league with a nice 3-1 win over the dirty set piece merchants from the North.

13. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Here's a currently working link.

14. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple of points on the Reading 'goal';

The lino says that it was an optical illusion and that due to his positioning it looked as though the ball had crossed the line for a goal. Even if that allows for the 'half a yard past the post' bit, the replays yesterday showed that the ball wasn't even close to crossing the line anyway, whether for a goalkick/corner/goal/whatever.....

Second point, a lot of the media seems to be admonishing the lino and overlooking the fact that the ref was much closer, "he was dependent on the linesman". Why? He was much closer, and had a far better angle. From where he was standing there was no way on earth he couldn't have seen that the ball didn't go in the goal.

One of the most bizarre 'goals' you're ever likely to see. Bad luck for John Eustace, he's been credited with an own-goal for it!

15. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I just think it's a shame that yet again after a week of great football from the Prem, CL, Uefa Cup and the rest of the League, the attention is focussed yet again on sodding referees or their assistants.

It happens every time...

...but it's not quite as inevitable as the managerial merry-go-round. Another two managers gone today (Colchester and Port Vale) and Kenny Dalgliesh is being linked with Newcastle.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It'll keep happening until they're made accountable. Managers get sacked, players get dropped, referees collect their mileage allowance.

17. HappyDayRiot

I'm sure you guys have seen it by now, so... what the HELL is Platini talking about!? Attacking Wenger over careful money management and wanting video replays for questionable refereeing decisions!? Does that man even listen to himself!?

18. TheArsenal

Three things:

1. Platini is a fool.

2. He is also, for some reason, violently against the introduction of any technology into the game. He was the one who harpooned the chip in the ball technology which would with 100% accuracy tell when the ball crosses the goal line (needed, as we've seen this weekend) after it was all set to be introduced.

3. Platini is a fool.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Platini wouldn't have had the guts to say that a couple of years ago when David Dein was in charge of the G14.

20. HappyDayRiot

The man is just insane. How on earth can his comments about Wenger's money-management be reconciled with his comments on teams operating and winning on massive debts!?