Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, May 3, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

[LEFT]ZERO SUM GAME:
    Hmm pretty much the same as what we read before. Although I don't know if I ever got the impression that Serina Douglas was Julian's long lost true love. But it could be interesting to see him in a long term relationship with another genetically engineered person, if she sticks around that is.
    Hopefully since this seems to feature the Breen pretty extensively we'll get to learn more about them. I've always been rather suprised that more hasn't been done with them given how big of a role they played in the end of DS9.

Seize The Fire
    : Not up yet

Rough Beasts of Empire:
    I'm pretty sure this is the same one that was posted in the other thread but just in case some of the posters here missed it.
    [/LEFT]

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks JD. How many months to go? 6? ARGH. Its like waiting for your first born

Umm... no one tell my wife that last thing I said, ok? That would be great

3. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Zero Sum Game sounds very good. Though I am not sure how a character who appeared, what, twice in the entire series? Is someone whom Bashir thinks of as his "long-lost true love". But more Dax and Aventine, and Bashir being a spy? Yay.

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Rough Beasts of Empire sounds awesome, but I think Zero Sum Game will be the best. Bashir as spy is alwyas a good thing :techman:

5. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I don't remember Sarina Douglas? The stories sound good and I look forward to reading them. I have to say Spock is one very healthy vulcan, isn't he over 150 now?

6. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Well, Sarek lived to be 204 or so (measured in human years). :)

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

FYI, I didn't just pull that relationship out of thin air. Re-watch the seventh-season DS9 episode "Chrysalis," listen to what Bashir says about Sarina, and note the look on his face at the end of the episode when she leaves. It was very clear how intensely he felt about her.

8. chelly

I didn't think you did, it has been a while since I have seen any DS9 episodes. Though when I read the wiki for her name it did jog my memory a little bit.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's been part of Trek lore since the '60s that Vulcans are very long-lived. Sarek was said to be 102 in "Journey to Babel" and, as Dayton said, lived for another century. Tuvok was over 100 during Voyager (despite an erroneous line in "Fury" suggesting he was only in his 90s). A young T'Pau appeared in Enterprise episodes set 113 years before "Amok Time," and her birthdate as established in ENT would put her age in "Amok Time" at 145.

I grew up thinking it was an established fact that Vulcan life expectancy was around 250, but that doesn't seem to be from any canonical source, so it must've come from tie-ins or behind-the-scenes material or fan lore.

10. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I remember all that, and he certainly had feelings for her in that episode, I just find it slightly strange to read about someone who was, in essence, "love interest of the week" and never mentioned again, being described as his "long-lost true love".

I dont have any problem with him having feelings for her, or a relationship between them, it's more the specific wording than the concept I blinked at.

Aside from that, when I originally read the blurb, I thought Bashir had permantely transferred over to starfleet Intelligence as an operative. Shame I misread it, as I'd actually like that development.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Any chance of seeing a hint of Nero in any Romulus related novels? Would be a nice touch (and yes, I am saying that even though I hated the new movie).

12. chelly

I was thinking 200 was the life expectancy, so I guess I was thinking Spock was close to what his father's age was in the TNG episode. (for some reason I was thinking 200) Then again Spock wouldn't necessarly get the disease that Sarek had. (for the life of me I can't think of the right word. )

13. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ Bendii Syndrome :)

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I want to see Nero in the novels. I loved the film, and I actually thought Nero was a good villain but I really liked his backstory in Countdown and in a fannish way I don't want to read anything that conflicts with it (Yes I realize how small-minded that sounds)

I also loved the Nerada's Borg uber-upgrade (as well as the idea that the ship itself was alive), and don't like the idea that space octopii are the norm for 24th century Romulan mining ships.

Also if everyone knew Nero and Ayel it would be a big case of Small Universe Syndrome.

I also hope the book with Spock in won't have any cheesy "I hope I don't get sucked into the past via a black hole and reset the timeline anytime soon" style horrible in-jokes.

Spock and his reunification movement "coming out" might be interesting, as the Federation and half the Empire strengthen bonds.

A Jellyfish-type ship cropping up I might allow :)
    Ambassador Spock certainly flies in style!

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

After the Destiny events, is it even possible to upgrade a ship with Borg technology?

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC the Narada's upgrade is based on reverse-engineered Borg tech, so it might not be Borg itself, just a Romulan knock-off.

Ergo: Yes. It is possible.

18. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel like letting out a Klingon Death Scream.

(counts to ten, does some "plexing")

Okay...now:

All right...that makes it easier to swallow.

Mr. Mack...I will see how this works out...and I wonder if this will turn into a possible triangle--Ezri/Sarina/Bashir. I think I'd love to see that--especially if it "knocks some sense" into Ezri, and gets rid of that attitude she'd had towards Bashir throughout the relaunch. (I actually wrote an alternate version of Ezri's "Come to I'nora" moment for the FanFic forum....)

But I sincerely hope that this book does NOT close any doors for Ezri. She and Julian have suffered enough from that break-up. For goodness sake, it's bad enough that we get the "aw, gee, the Bashir/Ezri feelings weren't REAL, it was just a redo of Worf/Ezri--just a by-product of the Jadzia/Bashir feelings".

But NOW--to have THIS happen!

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

I'm sorry, I'm just...a little worked up about that break-up.

Seriously...I'll look forward to this. But, if some details of this...relationship...were possible...? :)

(And...FWIW, I think the "moments" between Ezri and Julian are reaonable rivalry for the last scene in "Chrysalis", IMANSHO. ;))

19. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

A chapter in A Singular Destiny detailed a top-secret Starfleet effort to reverse-engineer leftover Borg technology. Whether that effort bears fruition or causes massive mayhem (or both) is up to the writers of future books. But the possibility has been left open.

20. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

All righty, Mr. Mack...question:

Is it late enough in the game for some info?

No real spoilers, of course, but--will Ezri and Julian's past romance bear on the story in any shape, matter, or form?

(Gee, should we start a "SPOILER" thread for that, or what? Mods, what say you?)