Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Amazon screwed up my order and now I will not get it until the 17th or 18th:brickwall:

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think a big problem is that it is being released the same day as TDKR. The stores are all focusing on that. CBS decided it was worth it so S2 can be released before Christmas. But the sets should start appearing in stores more if there is a demand for it.

As a last resort the sets can always be bought on places online like on Amazon.

3. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

There's dirt on the floor, the bottom of the hand-rails aren't painted, my childhood is ruined! ;)

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The system that vacuums the carpet on the ship and the craftmanship at Utopia Planitia disappoints me. :(

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, at least it goes against the criticism that TNG was too clean. ;)

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Never realized before that fans cared so much about the brightness of the deflector and engines.

I think it looks fine either way. Besides, the ship IS at warp in that shot, so seems like it probably should be a bit brighter.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Trek fans.

What did you expect?:devil:

8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't posted about Trek here in ages... let alone in the TNG forum!

I just thought I'd drop by to say that the extended cut of Measure of a Man was interesting, but a lot of that editing just feels so dated. They probably could have trimmed a lot of those face reaction shots and sped the episode along a lot, even if it only effectively would be cutting a couple seconds or so of screen time.

That said, I was surprised that the episode didn't feel all that different with the extra 13 minutes or so. It still had the same beats as the original episode - it's just that the acts were extended slightly - so it still has the same structure. It makes me wonder if all TNG episodes would work if they were TOS episode length.

Anyway, I do like the fact that they included the "hybrid" cut, if only so you could see which scenes were new, but I am a bit frustrated that you can't watch the hybrid cut with the commentary. I don't think I'm interested enough in the episode to watch it three times... so I guess I'll just end up looking at a list of the new scenes on some wiki somewhere.

Looking forward to diving the rest of the set!

9. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

As I was attempting to get some of the names from that ship list in "The Measure of a Man", I noticed that the picture went from grainy to clear and back to grainy. Is this normal?

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Best Buy here in Florence, Ky. had twenty copies when I got mine this morning!

11. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I had that exact experience trying to find the first sampler disc when it came out. Had to drive way the hell out of town to get it.

12. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

It's "In Stock" at the ten nearest store to me (Miami). Weird...

13. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

14. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Compared to these, I think so.
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/cbs_dauphindaled4_hd.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/cbs_icarussbmontgomery_hd.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/cbs_penpalsdrema4_hd.jpg

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think the "dull look" of it is very "natural" looking.

I liked in the opening of "The Child" the color contrast between the Enterprise and the Excelsior-class is very stark. The Enterprise looking new, clean, and modern. The Excelsior looking weathered and beaten, like she's been around the block a few times.

16. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they all look good. I don't need the ship to be lit the exact same way in every shot, and don't understand why other fans apparently do.

18. BillJ

It still looks good for a twenty-five year old TV series. Watching Where Silence Has Lease and my biggest issue so far is how over lit the Enterprise is.

19. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I personally feel that there's a difference between being lit differently and being lit well. CBS-D lit the ship differently as well, but they still made the ship look like it belonged in the environment. HTV has, with a few exceptions, failed to do the same. The lighting is flat, washed out. I noticed it in the preview for Season 2 on the Season 1 bluray. We were told those were just placeholder shots but for the most part, they don't look all that different. Even though HTV pulled some of the same tinting tricks CBS did to make it look like the planet is casting light, HTV couldn't pull it off.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  20. BillJ

What really makes it stick out is that it looks like the credits done for season one were reused for season two. The ship in the episodes doesn't match the ship in the credits.