So.........Could Neelix cook or not?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Yvaine, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I've used that. Someone owes you something and whines "I'm TRYING", and I shoot back "Yes, you are... very"

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

GET THIS CHEESE TO SICKBAY!!

The bitching annoys me. Get in the kitchen and help him if it's a matter of Talaxian taste being different. He's feeding a lot of people with limited fresh food. Nothing is burnt. He takes into account balance and nutrition. Replicators have spoiled them because they've been able to eat whatever they want exactly to their taste and now suddenly it's out of their control.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obviously Neelix literally could cook, because we saw him do it. He looked like he knew what he was doing. On Talax, he could have been considered a master chef for all we know.

But not everyone is going to like his food. That doesn't mean he's a bad cook or anything, it just means that the crew doesn't like Talaxian cuisine (assuming that's what he was making).

This.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, that's always been my thought. He likely was a good cook, the crews Palette just wasn't accustomed to the taste of the spices and ingredients available to Neelix, the reason he eventually was known as a good cook, was because their taste adapted or he found tastes closer to what their taste was accustomed to

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

QFT.

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still trying to get over the "hair pasta" thing.

7. Keturah

Keturah Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Totally agree! I always thought the comments about his cooking were cheap shots. In my house, if you don't like the cooking, fine go ahead and take a turn for a few weeks!

8. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I bet there were plenty of better coocks on Voyager.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes but they had other jobs to do.

If I was transported to Voyager in the Delta quadrant I'd end up a cook too since I couldn't do anything else. I couldn't even teach Naomi since I wouldn't know any Federation history or the maths etc.. I'd be like well... vegetables. Vegetables I know. Sure most of them are very different vegetables but just let me have a taste and I'll figure out what to do with it.

Imagine if you took someone who knew no earth foods and gave them a bunch of vegetables. They might make some interesting assumptions. They might use carrot puree as a basis for lots of soups whereas you would think potato was a more obvious choice. That kind of mixing around what quantities we normally think of as making a balanced dish.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I took a biology class in high school. According to Janeway, that qualifies me to be a medic. ;)