DS9 deserved a movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Xzpezer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope that's a joke...

2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Only if they traveled back in time and Sisko met the Changeling Queen.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Dukat returning, Marc Alaimo would have deserved to play a big screen villain.

4. Shatna

Shatna Grand Lord Admiral Admiral

What Greg Cox said, plus the fact that DS9's story was had a beginning and an end, by design. It was a wonderful take on the Star Trek mythos and told its own saga very well, but when it was done, it was done.

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG was a great show, but then it was followed up by three subpar and one OK movie.

TOS had what, a dozen good episodes, yet it got five good movies and one awful movie? Not bad.

I'm satisfied DS9 ended on a high note. RDM and Behr would have already moved on by then. Would you trust Berman and Braga to do DS9 justice? :lol:

6. Viva Sativa

Viva Sativa Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

Sorry about that, contextual error on my part. At first glance I thought you had voiced that you agree there should've been a DS9 movie. Now I see that you were just saying to stay focused on the thread topic.

7. Viva Sativa

Viva Sativa Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

TOS had 5 good movies? 2,3,4, and generations. So is the other good movie 1 or 5?

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Seriously, being mad that your entire planet was enslaved for fifty years is 'Crybaby' worthy? What is worthy being miffed about?

DS9 could have made a really good movie, but obviously, it would have lost tons of money. If it ended more recently it could possibly get a Syfy channel movie.

9. Shatna

Shatna Grand Lord Admiral Admiral

No sweat, carry on.

10. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 ran its course. All the story lines were for the most part closed up. I don't see any reason for them to have tried to continue the series on the big screen. An attempt at a movie with the actors they had would have been just another tv episode. Totally not worth the effort. My opinion.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Featuring a new threat from the other side of the wormhole--Sharknado!

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for that JirinPanthosa :)

Kira started off as being angry and traumatised by the Occupation and what she did in it, but matured over seven years and put many of her demons to rest and became an important individual in Bajoran society as well as the larger interstellar community--taking a leading role in the First Battle of Chin'toka and then the Cardassian Resistance (to mention just a couple).

Add to that she suffered several great personal tragedies, was also a tough scrapper who kicked ass whilst heavily pregnant and willing to go toe-to-toe with a fleet of Warbirds in only an impulse ship, its not hard to see that she is a fully realised, tough-as-nails yet emotionally articulate character.

Compared to that, the likes of NuUhura or NuCarol really are pretty limp attempts at portraying postive female characters in Trek.

13. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think we can all agree that the answer to that one is "FRACK NO!" ;) I'm not anti-B&B, I just don't think they are DS9-compatible.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Better yet: a Jem'Hadardo!

15. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

The classic argument is that "it had poor ratings despite being the shit". Well I'd have to agree with that lol..

As for a plot, simple. The Pah Wraiths find a way to restore Dukat, and wants to destroy Bajor, DS9 and by extension Earth since this is the Federation's capital planet and more importantly Sisko's home. So essentially the Prophets send Sisko to stop Dukat destroying Bajor and ultimately Earth.

16. desfem79

hmmmm...i take it others' views offend you.. lol.:lol:

17. desfem79

The Syfy film with those giant worms killing GI Joes in Afghanistan was good.:techman:

Dukat could release some giant worms in Bajor, and Sisko has to kill them and kill Dukat. :lol:

18. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there any idea that isn't essentially saying that the villain--Freddy, Jason, Chucky, whomever--isn't really dead? Why not just have Quark buy a mysterious container and, OOPS!, out pops Benedict Cumberbatch?

20. cal_nevari

cal_nevari Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Although I enjoyed DS9 as a series and enjoyed the other trek series as well, I have no need for any trek movies. I'd much rather have 10-15 episodes a year of a new series (or even 22) than one big spectacle of a 96-137 minute movie every 3-4 years that deals with some big reboot or remake or regurgitation of what's come before.

If there was a new series set in the post DS9 era - whatever it was on (a station, a ship, a planet) - it would certainly be possible for some episodes to touch upon updating what's happened to characters from shows like DS9, TNG, even... Voyager. Or for that matter... TOS or ENT (century/centuries later - the grandchild of this one or that one). Not that a new series would have to reference any of them - but it could if they wanted to.

As far as "deserves" goes... no trek series "deserves" a movie, imo.