Survivor 25: Phillipines Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Garak, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

And so Jeff Probst said "Let There Be Another Survivor." And there was. Yay.

Greetings folks, this is your one stop thread for all things related to the 25th season of Survivor, taking place this year in the Phillipines.

[​IMG]

A few notable things this year - three previous contestants who were forced from the game due to injury are returning. They are Mike the Pig Killer, Older Blue Eyes Jonathon and Dehydrated Russell.

2 other notables are Blair from The Facts of Life (I was hoping for Tootie) and former MLB NL MVP Jeff Kent who has made more than $40 million over his so so baseball career.

Hidden Immunity Idols aren't really idols anymore rather everyday pieces of equipment, like the top of a coffee pot. I'm interested to see how that works.

Back are underwater challenges as the last few locations didn't allow for that. So you know what that means, someone could drown!!!

Interesting to note that the one who looks like a lesbian is a lesbian and Jeff Kent donated $15,000 to support the controversial Prop 8 in California.

Will sparks fly? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

2. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

The only reason I'd tune in is to see Michael from Australia again, a holdover from when Survivor contestants were chosen for more then how they looked in a bikini. Unfortunately, they will most likely vote all of them out before the merge.

3. Garak

I think Jonathon might have what it takes to get far as he's a bit of a sneaky bastard, Mike was pissing everyone off by the time he burned himself and would have probably been the first member of his tribe to get voted off after the merge. I can't remember that much of Russell other than he was something of a leader for his tribe.

4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

this is kinda full circle for me. The last Survivor i watched was Australia. So its been a long time for me. I only tuned in tonight since nothing else was on tonight. But i've been enjoying it.

5. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Russel might have been booted if the guy they did vote off (forgot his name already) had enough sense to keep his mouth shut. Too early to play the mind games he was attempting to play. Espeically at the first tribal council, giving your teammates an easy out should be avoided.

6. Garak

I really enjoyed the premier, talk about a beautiful location - those opening shots of the Philippines were stunning.

Redneck tattoo kid really made several huge mistakes, definitely deserved to go. He makes an alliance with everyone and then tells someone that he made alliances with everyone and then basically puts his own head on the chopping block in some backwards ass stupid plan he hatched. Idiot.

Russell sure came off as a fool, who says they don't want to be the leader and then goes ahead and start barking orders at people? Funny that Mike is the only guy to recognize Tootie's friend, and I loved it when the girl figured out it was Jeff Kent and then started asking him questions while looking at him with an "are you fucking kidding me?" look.

My early favorites is that alliance between the young studly guy and the older woman, both seem pretty smart.

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

We have a 90 minute opener, so there's plenty of time to give introductions to everyone. We get intros for the three returnees, and then for the two already-famous people. And then for Tat guy. (zane?) ... Then they go on with the opening credits. I was confused momentarily, as in "why would they pick out this one guy and give him a special centerpiece intro like that and not the others?" ... by the time the first commercial break was over, I'd already decided he was the one to get voted off, and that's why they featured him that way.

A few seasons back, there was a young gay guy on the show. He had barely been in any episodes, no mention of anything about him beyond his name, until his final episode. Then, suddenly, he's everywhere, we get his interviews/video diaries, he's a big part of the challenge ... Sometimes, they make it completely obvious who is getting the boot.

8. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I can't believe how stupid Zane acted, everyone was annoyed by Russel and wanted to get rid of him, so naturally he does everything to convince the others to vote for him and thinks that this is a brilliant plan?
    What makes it worse that even after he put himself up for elimination the others made it pretty obvious they wanted to keep him, so what does he do?

Blond girl: Uh Zane, I know you said it's all your fault, but I actually think it's Russel's fault, so I think he should go home.
    Zane (thinking): Oh my god, my plan works, I'm genius but I have to make sure she doesn't change her mind about Russel!
    Zane: No blond girl, vote for me, Zane. That's Z, A, N, E, it's all my fault, I suck, I'm bad at running.
    BG: But Russel ...
    Zane: No, ME! Everyone has to vote for me! And I'm pretty sure he has immunity anyway.

*Everyone votes for Zane*

Zane: Fuck

What I didn't get is why they didn't vote for Russel anyway. It was obvious Russel would vote for Zane so if everyone else voted for Russel they had nothing to lose.

Russel has no immunity idol: He goes
    Russel has an immunity idol but doesn't play it: He goes
    Russel has an immunity idol and plays it: Zane goes, Russels stays but lost his immunity idol

I guess Zane fighting for votes kinda makes sense if he thought Russel had found the immunity idol. Make him think he's safe so that he doesn't play it, *bam* he goes home. The only problem is that he didn't tell his team mates about it, if this was his plan.

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good ol' Survivor. Yeah the show is pretty played out here in season 25, but I still enjoy the weekly dose of human stupidity.

And yeah. Fucking Jeff Kent... I hope you blew out your knee, asshole. Fucking 1 percenter... I don't even mean he's top 1 percent in general... That mofo is top 1% even among rich baseball players.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched it last night and enjoyed it, but I was surprised not many people knew Jeff Kent was a baseball player.

I do wonder what the final season of Survivor will be like, if there even will be such a thing. It's approaching soap opera territory now, if not getting up there with the Simpsons. I guess it's still a ratings hit but, like Amazing Race, it's getting worn out.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The only one of the three returnees I'm not familiar with is Russell, but he's lucky Zane screwed up so badly. He talks about not wanting to come in and be a leader this time around, and the first thing he starts doing is bossing people around and acting like a leader. :lol: He eventually noticed his mistake, now it'll be interesting to see if he remembers not to do it again.

Of the returnees, I think Mike will go the farthest.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Having Mike from Australia back is awesome, I liked him and was sorry to see him go. I suspect once "outed" the celebrity castaways will leave pretty quickly. Should certainly be an interesting season.

There's also a local to my area on this season.

Well, the "Zane Gambit" didn't work. I was wondering what he was going for there and, well, apparently he didn't either. Shame because he actually seemed like a good guy and Russel was being such an asshat he deserved to get the boot.

The show also certainly brought the pretty this year, as always.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I confess that I had never heard of "Jeff Kent" before.

But I'm not a sports fan.

14. Trekker4747

I'm not surprised. How many players from your local baseball team from a few years ago could your name or pick out of a lineup let alone someone from another baseball team? Scores of baseball players, dozens of teams, things changing every year. No surprise no one recognized him. It's more of a surprise no one recognized Facts of Life girl.

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except that he is a borderline hall of famer. Hardly a random journeyman. They've had more obscure pro athletes in the past. Also, he was recognized.

Anyone who paid attention to baseball at all in the mid-90s through the mid-00s is going to recognize the name at least. He was never really the marquee draw, always overshadowed by a Bonilla or a Bonds, and he has a pretty generic look to him though.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could probably name the Giants 2002 Roster, at least half of them, which included Jeff Kent and Berry Bonds. I just find it hard to believe that only one person recognized him, given he was a star baseball player in his career.

17. Trekker4747

Maybe everyone there just aren't die-hard enough baseball fans to know a player on the spot or at the sound of their name?

18. KalEl

KalEl Lieutenant Commander

I really liked this episode, I started watching Survivor in the second season so it's good to see Michael back.

Zane should have told someone his plan and not that Russell had the idol, but that he saw Russell doing something. If he had done that, then maybe his plan could have worked.

I think that Lisa/ Blair and Jeff will be gone ASAP. Jeff will be gone due to his knee likely and Lisa is not playing the social game, so she will be gone.

I remember Russell from last season, he was an ass then and an ass now. Last season though they tolerated him a lot more than this group seems to be doing.

It will be interesting seeing three tribes, I guess there will be a merge sooner and possibly be split into two tribes, then a second merge.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Or maybe there's not a lot of overlap between SURVIVOR fans and baseball fans?

20. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I mean I can't think of that many people I know who are huge baseball fans or know the names of any players. I would say I am a very casual baseball fan, watching games on TV every now and then and going to a game about once every two years (usually the A's), but I could count the number of players names I know on one hand, including any past and present players. They don't include Jeff Kent, I have no idea who he played for.

I do know Blair though! I watch the Facts of Life on DVD every now and then. It doesn't look like Lisa will be sticking around for long though.