Star Trek: Renegades

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Again, impressive. I don't use a sophisticated sound system with my notebook computer but the sound seemed very high quality to me.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That looked... generic. I didn't get any sense of the story at all.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

This is my exact reaction. I have been following this on Facebook. So I know what is already been released. This looks like a generic video game set in the 24th Century. A spin off from Voyager. I only see this appealing to a small number of hardcore fans. I do not see how this would interest anyone at CBS.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I like it. Look good and the story looks interesting. Just not sure I'm totally sold on a grim-and-gritty Star Trek series. Still, I'm for giving it a chance when it comes out.

5. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

This is a problem I have with most or ALL proposed ideas to bring Trek back to the small-screen. "Post-Voyager" they say. "Captain Worf" they say. But these ideas would only appeal to the 'serious' Trekkies who actually care about the continuing story of the Federation and so on. Zero appeal beyond that.

If Trek is to return to television, it should probably be something very new. A brand-new approach. A true reboot. Sort of what TNG was when it first came out: a radically different approach in both style and tone, with new ships, new characters, and fresh ideas. But something still distinctly "Star Trek"

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Rewatched the trailer a few times, and I think I nailed down what was bothering me from the first watching: It feels too UPNish, almost generic action scifi. It's not bad. It doesn't look bad. The acting doesn't seem bad. It just doesn't seem like something that jumps out at me. Still interested, and I'll give anything with "Star Trek" in the title a try. It just seems, on repeated viewing, like it's not really selling Renegades. There's a "You've gotta see this!" factor missing.

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

This feels like "Star Trek" in nuBSG drag.

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

9. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nah, too dark for me. Tired of the idea that everything has to be dark and gritty now. This isn’t the Trek Roddenberry envisaged.
    Too many of these fans films are getting wrapped up in the idea of war and destruction, including the seemingly superior Axanar. They then get to showcase their fancy set designs and CGI effects. But those elements to Star Trek have always been to compliment the story and not the other way around, which seems to be the case for most fan films that aren’t TOS remakes/continuations. Plus, with the exception of Axanar, the acting in these films continues to be woeful (former Trek cast members or not).

10. Smoked Salmon

It misses the uniqueness that should come with Trek. There's no hope, inspiration, exploration or newness. It just feels like the action from Wrath of Khan has been ripped out and translated into a TV show, while failing to understand why TWOK worked. Space battles, phasers, rebels. Star Wars has that. It's not what Trek is about.

11. Smoked Salmon

I'd still like it in the prime universe, but I otherwise entirely agree.

For Star Trek to succeed again it needs to go back to it's roots. Intelligent, hopeful stories in a universe of wonder and exploration. Stuff like this is just a variation on what has been done to death over 18 years and four movies of TNG era Trek and the desperation to introduce twists for variety also has the affect of pushing the "show" further away from the spirit of Trek itself.

12. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

I can already tell you there is one flaw in the story's premise. I haven't been through the entire thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned.

The one big flaw is that in Star Trek IV Spock invented a process that recrystallized the dilithium crystals so I don't see how they can run out.

Now if another empire developed a weapon that could tear dilithium apart, that I could believe.

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Every week on TOS they discovered awesome shut that they forgot a week later. That's not a flaw in a fan film; that's Star Trek.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe there aren't any nuclear wessels available to collect photons from. Maybe Chekov doesn't remember because he was injured and/or because he's older than dirt now. Maybe the crew of the HMS Bounty was ordered to not reveal any details of the trip back in time. Maybe it only worked on 23rd century Klingon crystals. Maybe the formula was written on a scrap of paper and hidden under Chekov's toupee, and it blew away when he took it off. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

There are a ton of ways to explain away a one-off thing in a movie from 30 years ago.

15. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

TNG established that dilithium is recrystallised in the chamber as a matter of course. Though I imagine they would still need raw crystals.

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

We talked about this during the story's conception, the fact that Dilthium now lasts much, much longer, based on the above 'Relics' dialogue, than it did in TOS. As you mentioned, they still do need the crystals (just not as much as before). This area was downplayed a bit in the later drafts, and it is more about Borrada having a weapon that can destroy planets. He starts with Dilthium mining planets as a big 'FU' to the Federation, but his plans get much more bolder after that...

As for not seeing the story in trailer, that was because this trailer was designed to showcase the VFX in the film, that was lacking in the earlier teaser trailers. While it may seem from this trailer that STR is all about space battles, it's really only a small part in the film (but very exciting when they happen). We got some great VFX stuff (over 637 shots!) over the past several months and we wanted to show them off in this trailer.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  17. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The trailer commits the sin of not giving us a reason to care. The flashy visuals are there, and the fan-service, and to some people that's enough, but I can't tease out a protagonist to root for.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yeup. As a VFX reel, it's great, it's eye catching...now why do I give a damn about these people and their story.

You're probably right. Maybe there's a diminishing return factor at play? After so many times the crystals become worthless due to loss of efficiency or some sort of structural instability from repeated uses of the process. At which point you hand out the spent crystals as paper-weights to family and friends, and pop in a fresh set.

Hell, maybe not all engine types can run on recrystallized dilithuim. Something to do with quantum-whatever.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Mostly becuase the Roddenberry and the TNG writers were tired of the of the over used the "dilithium crystals need to be replaced" stories.

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess you will have to watch and find out ;)