Rescue! - the old Mac game from the early 90s

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mott the barber, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Anyone else play this gem back in the day on their old Macs? It was shareware but there really wasn't any limitations if you didn't contribute money. I remember eagerly anticipating the next versions. It used sounds and effects from TNG, but Paramount got on the developer's case and the game had to be modified.

You had to warp around to different planets and rescue colonists before the planets were destroyer by Warbirds, Ferengi, and later, the Borg. You could use tractor beams, phasers, photon torpedos, etc., but had to manage the ships power with all the warping around. Awesome game!

Here's a wiki and there are some background links on that page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue!

2. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    I remember this, I think. Could you use pressor beams too? If I'm remembering correctly...

As far as ancient Mac games go, the closest to a Star Trek experience, for me, was Escape Velocity and its two sequels. Now those games were works of cheesy old-school Macintosh art.

3. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved Rescue!

I remember hanging around the wormholes, hailing until I met Q. The clue then was to piss him off, and then he would send the Borg after you

And it was actually possible to beat them! Sometime all it took was beaming over and put them to sleep, but of course, most of the time the away team would be killed if you tried it. Also I remember teaming up with some Klingon bird of preys, attacking the cube. It was hard, but think I managed to kill the Borg this way too.

4. Minuet

You could do all of this in Rescue!? I'm definitely thinking of the wrong game. That sounds fun.

5. Minuet

I found a Windows version that was remade in Java, and I am failing horrifically at this game. Before I could do anything, I got attacked by little circular ships and was destroyed. Shortest career in Starfleet ever.

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Not that old-school. EV Nova is what, maybe 11 years old at most?

7. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Haha exactly! I forgot about the Q part. There was also some other trick where you tractored a warbird or a Marauder into the wormhole and it would unlock something but I forget what it was? Maybe that was another way to get the Borg cube to appear? Been a long time...

8. Nociod

I sort of wish that I still had my old Mac and Rescue. I never tried pulling another ship through the wormhole with the tractorbeam (that I can remember anyways, I haven't played since I was a kid in the 90's)

I remember playing Rescue! and Escape velocity on that Mac. While Rescue! was a fun game, Escape Velocity was better. Rescue was too short.

If anyone still wants to play Escape Velocity I recommend Escape Velocity Nova. It can be played on both Macs and PCs. If you buy the game, you could also play plugins, and in one of the plugins you can also play the original Escape Velocity.

A little off topic, but Lindley, didn't you make a firefly plugin for EV Nova? Did you ever finish it? I vaguely remember playing the beta version of it years ago

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got a link? This has piqued my interest.

10. Minuet

Here's the link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rescue/

It's a complete port of Rescue! that works on any newer Macs or Windows programs, due to it being a Java program. Enjoy! I fail very hard at this game, but I think I'll give it another chance.

11. Lindley

It's more done than it was, but I haven't had time to work on it lately. I wouldn't say it's 100% yet, but it's not that far off. Most of the writing is done, it's just art and gameplay that need tweaking. At some point I'll finish it.

12. Nociod

Glad to hear that its not in developers hell and will be released at some point :cool:

If you remember it, could you drop me a pm or reply to this thread when you do release it?

13. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember playing that game in middle school, but I never knew what it was called. Neat.

14. Lindley

Well....it's kind of developer's purgatory. Not quite hell though.