Do you like the idea of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Aug 4, 2013.

?

Do you like the concept of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

1. Yes :)

85.1%
  2. No :(

3.0%
  3. Neutral So Far :|

11.9%
  1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I do like his up-swept hair.

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's NOT SMILING! Fans of a more serious Doctor rejoice? :P

Mark

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'm happy with the idea of an older Doctor. I'd been hoping for an older Doctor for a while. (My previous short list included Bill Nighy and John Hurt, so sometimes the show listens to me.) Capaldi isn't my 100% ideal choice because I was kinda hoping for a woman. And I still haven't completely come to terms with Smith leaving. :( But I'm very excited about seeing what's next for the show.:techman:

I suppose I would be more ambivalent if Moffat were leaving too. But Moffat is staying on, and while I don't agree with absolutely everything he's done with the show, I think he's done a very good job. I've found that he & I tend to see things in a similar way. My conception of who the Doctor is is much closer to Moffat's interpretation than to RTD's interpretation. (We also have very similar views on Sherlock Holmes, to such an extent that Sherlock has pretty much negated any dreams I ever had about making my own "definitive" Sherlock Holmes movie.)

Say no more!;);)

But is he a super fan like David Tennant? (I mean, there are moments in Tennant's video diaries where he's making casual references to "Kinda." You can't get much more hardcore than that.)

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Idle wrote "All You Need Is Cash" aka the Rutles TV Special. No it wouldn't have worked as well without Innes' music, but it's still pretty funny. The Punk Floyd scene always makes me laugh. As does "Shocked and stunned".

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I think it's safe to say he was quite the fan :lol:

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And still is - last year he was spotted browsing the Target novelisation reprints in Forbidden Planet

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sounds like he'd fit right in here.

I wonder what name he posts under. ;)

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This sort of thing makes me breathe a lot easier. I have to admit when I first heard the announcement, I was really worried that he was only doing it for a paycheck, or for a laugh. If he loves the show that much, it means he's likely to stick around for awhile.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And his age and extensive experience makes it less likely he'll be running off to Hollywood in a couple of years after he makes a name for himself

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Of course his age might mean he can't keep up with a punishing schedule for too many years. I would anticipate him being around as long as Tennant and Smith, or at the very least longer than Eccleston :)

As for his fandom, I dunno. I don't think Smith is any different a Doctor to Tennant because he didn't grow up a fan, if anything I think at times the role weighed heavier on Tennant than it has on Smith, sometimes he seemed to try too hard cos he didn't want to let people down.

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh, Pertwee stayed for five years and he was 51 when he started the gig. He was a former military man though, and arguably the most physically active of all the Doctors. Capaldi is great at shouting a lot from what clips I've seen, and not at running or punching people; however the average health of fifty-somethings these days plus his multi-year history on "The Thick of It" suggests he can keep up with the legendarily grueling shoot schedule on this show.

As such, will we have a Doctor-lite episode in Series 8? And if so, will fans think it's an excuse to let Peter rest up a bit?

Mark

12. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I'd bet you Shatner could do it. So it should be a breeze for Capaldi

13. diankra

The Dr-lite eps started when they were asked for Xmas ep on top of 13 eps. Rumour is next year is 12plusXmas, so...

14. diankra

The Dr-lite eps started when they were asked for Xmas ep on top of 13 eps. Rumour is next year is 12plusXmas, so...

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I do wonder, given Capaldi's age, if there's any truth to the rumors that the series will have another gap year in 2015. That perhaps Capaldi was hired with the express intention of only doing a single year to close out Moffat's era so the next producer can start with a blank slate and a new Doctor in 2015.

I hope that's not true, however. I see no reason why Capaldi can't span two producers. Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, and Baker all spanned multiple producers, after all. Nor do I see any need for gap year in 2015, especially since, for all intents and purposes, there's just been one, albeit one disguised by spreading the episodes of the last two years around.

I don't know how long Capaldi will stay. Several years, I hope.

If he has workload issues, I imagine they would take the Hartnell approach and bring in a younger male actor as a companion to be the action lead, much as Ian and Steven were for Hartnell's Doctor (and Jack was for Eccleston's, oddly).

I actually think that Capaldi could make us rethink the role of the Doctor. Every actor takes their lead from what Troughton did. Capaldi could be the one to take his lead from Hartnell. That would actually be rather fun. And quite possibly mind-blowing. :)

16. diankra

Agewise, Capaldi was five when it started, eight when Troughton came in. Suspect Troughton might just be his Doctor....

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/a...-be-the-dashing-young-man-he-was-a-minute-ago

I bet the 12th doctor will make a chin joke(audition samples) and toss the bow tie away in disguise.

He's got a bit of the 3rd doctor look with the hair and eyebrow

[​IMG]

18. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh that's a very unflattering photograph.

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

There'd better NOT be another gap year. That would be pretty ridiculous after all of the delays we've already had!

And, I'd say that Colin Baker already drew from Hartnell. I don't really want that again!

However, I do agree that we'll probably get an interesting take that we haven't seen for a while. Perhaps he'll be the first to draw from Peter Cushing's Doctor?

Mr Awe

20. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone else getting a Dr Lizardo vibe off this pic?