common misconceptions about Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Aug 15, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved all those pool scenes in I, Claudius!

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They invented plumbing.

If bathhouses hadn't existed for the first half of my life, I doubt any force in the universe would keep me out for the second half...

The Ritz

3. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always thought Neelix was a walking pot roast with eyes, hmmmm I guess I was wrong.

4. Guy Gardener

Well he was a drug dealer.

Baked on Pot?

You weren't far from the truth.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Perhaps that ever-popular leola root had hallucinatory properties. That could explain a lot about Voyager.

6. Guy Gardener

It's a wonder no one tried fermenting it?

Blotto is not a desirable vacation spot in the future it would seem.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually they stole most of their ideas on plumbing from the Greeks and Egyptians. The Romans were kind of like ancient Borg were they took all the abilities of those they conquered and improved upon them. ;)

8. teacake

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwr6sWK-_w0[/yt]

need a drink AND WHAT

"on my home planet there was so much poverty and violence".. I'm sorry, where is your freaking evolvement now TASHA?

And yes, leola could have been the DQ peyote but nooooo..

9. Melakon

Some friends and I used to watch my taped TNG: Symbiosis, and around the time the Onarans are allowed to get a felicium fix, we'd fire up the bong. It was a riot.

10. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's this thread about again? I think it has skewed far away from what the topic was 3 pages ago =(.

11. Melakon

Not really. Jazzstick stated a misconception he had about Neelix in post 203 above.

12. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Meaning no disrespect, but why does it matter. Great conversations always move along in strange and wondrous ways. I am a mod on another forum, and an administrator on still another and I never understood that the only conversation on a thread had to relate to the first topic.

I grew up in a family that would talk about anything and everything, even as a kid I was allowed to join in. It's like you hear others quote ever so often, "It isn't the destination, it's the journey." To me every conversation is a journey, you may be informed, humored or even enraged but it's all good.

13. teacake

As we all know from reading it so many times Voyager abandoned it's solid Trek premise and spent seven years jacked into it's own lala land of reset buttons and absurdities.

This forum shows its love by doing likewise.

14. Lighthammer

I was enjoying where the conversation was playing around with several pages back (not that this is about me, mind you) and been looking for a place to dive back in, but it just hasn't seemed to revolved back to Voyager-esque escapades!

Heck, I wouldn't necessarily say a few pages back, it was really even on Voyager misconceptions anymore, but almost dived into Trek universe misconceptions, which was getting interesting --- at least I thought so!

15. teacake

You know Janeway murdered Tuvix.

Go ahead and reply to older posts or just start posting what is on your mind in relation to what you were enjoying. People will respond.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They will respond! Poor, poor Tuvix!

17. Melakon

Or you could really fire things up by saying something like, "I always thought [character] was gay."

18. teacake

[all]

:D

You know what would be cool, if you could get out of being trapped in tedious conversations about people's renovations and diets and crap by saying, "you know Janeway murdered Tuvix."

19. Lighthammer

You know, I'll take that from another angel --- though I'm unsure if we can chalk this up as a misconception, lol

As much Tim Russ struggled for a primary part in a trek series for the better part of 15 years and he's continued to be a pretty awesome beacon for carrying the Trek Torch, I often think Voyager could have been a whole bunch more interesting if we would have actually kept Tuvix around .

Chakotay's throw away line of "Tuvix is proving the saying a whole can be greater then the sum of its parts wrong" pretty much nailed how I felt about the character on the head.

However, the thing that I always felt sucked about the series is it always felt like we Voyager was losing crew members and magically throwing out higher numbers throughout the series, though characters that would have been awesome to see get adopted by the crew and not necessarily become regular reoccurring would have been nice to see.

Just among some characters that would have been interesting to see Voyager pickup:
    - 3947 (From "Prototype"): At the end, they kind of realized they were dying.
    - Denara Pel (From "Lifesigns"): She could have said she didn't want to go back.
    - The Colonists (From "The Thaw"): Where did they REALLY have to go?
    - Gegen (From "Distant Origin"): He probably would have wanted to be the first of his kind to return "home".
    - Kellin (From "Unforgettable"): She was one of the first characters we had that could have probably easily 'feel in the background'.
    - One (From "Drone"): Seemed like such a waste to get rid of the 32nd century borg that fast. Would have been neater to pick a better end for him.
    - Valerie Archer (From "In the Flesh"): Would have been interesting to see her tag along for a while.
    - Crell Moset (From "Nothing Human"): The Doctor and him had such an interest dynamic and it would have been fun playing the ethics of the situation a little longer.
    - Kashyk (From "Counterpoint"): I think this guy had some awesome opportunity to be a crew member we'd see pop up once in a while. He really DID have the feel of 'looking for a new home' till the twist at the end.
    - Ensign Gilmore (From "Equinox"): I think she had potential to be a more trusted member a la Lt. Cary.
    - Some of the Klingons may have considered staying onboard...

I think I might be beating a dead horse by this point; just because we had a main cast doesn't mean we couldn't have seen some of these characters join the crew even if they didn't become permanent fixtures. Its not like other characters we met and learned to like such as Lt. Cary, Ensign Vorik, Ensign Wildman among others didn't fall into the backdrop.

I should also point out, Intrepid classes (according to memory beta) can hold 200 crew members, but generally carry under 150. We've heard numbers as low as 113 and as high as 151 :-\.

20. Guy Gardener

I firmly believe that the Demon Planet gave birth to tens of... Hundreds of thousands of fully staffed USS Voyagers... And that at least in one of those many, many USS Voyagers... In the recent (ho hum!) Freaky Friday remake, Jamie Lee Curtis and that off-ginger catastrophe, after the switch, run towards each other at great velocity wishing that the collision would jostle their souls back into the correct bodies where they belong... That perhaps Tuvok and Neelix didn't charge like two staggs arguing over a really hot doe, and wound up stuffed inside each other in a completely familiure way.