TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 1 2013, 06:25 PM   #76
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara
Re: Why my friend doesn't like DS9: Sisko.

Vanyel wrote: View Post
A question for you Edit_XYZ, the suicide pills you believe all command personnel should have when in battle with the Borg, when should they use them? When the Borg take down the shields? When the Borg catch up with the ship running at maximum warp? Should Starfleet even try to mount a defense?

Look at it, Starfleet can't stop the Borg which means the Borg are going to be able to take who or what they want from any ship, so why try?

The command crew is always going to be vulnerable to abduction by the Borg and since the Borg can adapt to phasers quickly, and there are far more Borg on a Cube than personnel on any Starfleet ship, so they can just keep sending Borg until they capture someone. Or should Starfleet send ships with Cadets to fight so no codes, advanced battle tactics, expieience, or anything else can be learned?
Red Squad!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 06:31 PM   #77
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Excellent idea! The Borg would assimilate them, then think there's nothing worthwhile about the Federation and leave em alone!
Old April 1 2013, 08:06 PM   #78
dru
Fleet Captain

No goatee? Didn't like Sisko. Goatee? Sisko was awesome.

Nothing could make me like Jake or Keiko. Sigh.
Old April 1 2013, 08:53 PM   #79
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

The Borg also have advanced medical technology, death to Federation doctors, may be near death to Borg medical technology. For example the cryonically frozen people discovered in the episode, The Neutral Zone, were dead to 20th century doctors, but not to Dr. Crusher. To the Borg, the few seconds between the taking of the pill and the nonoprobes injection may be more than enough time to prevent the killer pill to take effect.

What then happens when a Starfleet ship comes across a Borg ship in open space where no Borg activity had been detected? Have some run and get the suicide pills while the starship makes a brake for it?

And I will ask you to look at it from the standpoint of the Enterprise crew in Best of Both Worlds. They didn't know about assimilation and they didn't know the repercussions of assimilation. They knew the Borg wanted the Captain, but not for what reason. Extra security would mean more phaser fire on the bridge. And as was pointed out Picard was taken off guard, surprised, even with a suicide pill he may not have had time to activate it and maybe the Borg had already neutralized it.

As for Starfleet at Wolf 359 I think it's fairly obvious that no suicide pills were given to the command crews. Otherwise Sisko's job, after the Saratoga was mortally wounded, would have been bite the pill before the Borg beam on board, but instead he went lookingfor his family and exacuating civilians. If these suicide pills you suggest were indeed given to the command crew as you also sugested, didn't Sisko show dereliction of duty (sorry about mispellings not on my regular computer) by not taking his?

We can play arm-chair-quarterback all we want (and we do a lot of that here for situations that never happened) but our heroes didn't know what they were in for.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 09:03 PM   #80
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sorry, it's just good policy to politely decline membership in any organization where suicide pills are paired with the word duty.