Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

I don't think the console was that close to the wall. I'd move it about 2-3 feet to the left. Since it's a season 3 transporter room you're doing, maybe this Trekcore screengrab from "The Mark of Gideon" would help:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x16hd/themarkofgideonhd0050.jpg

2. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Yeah, move it away from the wall a bit. It always seemed like there was a few feet of space for someone to walk around either side of the console.

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Here are some shots of the transporter room with a full lighting compile and ambient occlusion baked into the lighting as well. I also adjusted the lighting so that the resulting shadows are more defined. I moved the console away from the wall, but not too much since I was having collision issues when I moved it too far away (the player character couldn't walk to the other side of it). I also completed the auxiliary console, the viewing screen Chekov uses in The Tholian Web, and the small "goose neck" viewer from The Cage that was added to the transporter room as a wall decoration sometime in the second season. The rear walls of the transporter room varied slightly each episode in the third season, but this is very close to the way it is seen in The Tholian Web. Also, the framed "poster" of the star cluster next to the console is of course from the first and second season version of the transporter room. I couldn't find any caps during the third season that showed this poster there (this wall wasn't shown much during season three, as it appears to have been removed most of the time). I found a high-resolution image of the Pleiades star cluster that, while not exact, closely resembles the poster we see. (If anyone has any info on the real image used in this poster, please let me know!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Your work really puts things into proverbial new perspectives. :)

Now I see (from the transport chamber) how actually close the transporter console is next to the wall. In the original shots they obviously made certain we didn't see too much of that area and apparently removed the wall to place their camera equipment "behind" it. Very interesting.

Whether the star chart should be there in a Season Three set or not is an interesting question.

The star chart evolved during the first season (no lines, then two lines, then three lines overimposed) and by the time of "Dagger of the Mind" the wall behind the console had the engineering master display.
    Given the big probability of several transporter rooms having this star chart (showing the position of the Enterprise?) I can't think of a good reason why it shouldn't be in a Season Three transporter room just because we haven't seen it.

The one transporter room which did not feature the star chart is the one with the yellow equipment / food elevators seen in "This Side of Paradise" during Kirk's brawl with Spock. But that's not the one you featured so I'd say your recreation is beautiful and flawless. :techman:

Bob

5. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am curious about the wall with the "gooseneck viewer" on it - in the side shots it seems to angle AWAY from the Transporter platform. However, in the view taken whilst standing on the platform itself, the wall seems to angle TOWARDS the platform.

Which is actually true?

6. Donny

This should clear it up:
    [​IMG]

However, now that I'm looking at it, my statement earlier that this layout closely matches the layout that is seen in The Tholian Web is incorrect. This more closely resembles the layout seen in The Mark of Gideon, except I added the viewing screen seen in The Tholian Web.
    My mistake! :hugegrin:

7. Donny

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szD6s73ScDk[/yt]

8. Robert Comsol

I know this will sound odd (after you spoiled us with your beautiful renderings in 3D) but after seeing your transporter room 2D one question is now locked into my mind: Can you just as easily turn that graphic into a traditional "clear" 2D view? (I'm a computer idiot).

Bob

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, dear God.

10. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Donny:

For what it's worth, "Savage Curtain" has the lilac/lavendar paint going all the way up on the back walls:

[​IMG]

Also, I'm not sure what this is from "Cloudminders." I thought it was a drop ceiling, but it looks like that board is in front of Spock's head. Weird!

[​IMG]

11. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

It looks hastily painted. Perhaps it's to hide the ceiling or lack thereof?

12. Donny

Yes, I'd noticed the walls. But there were shots showing the grey stripe going across all the walls (Let That Be Your Last Battlefield and The Mark of Gideon),which I liked better. I guess some choices are a matter of what I'd rather go with!

Having trouble now with the briefing room color scheme. So many color variations between episodes! I'm liking the mid season 2 version the best (grey wall panels, light-blue curved beams, grey bulkheads), but the uglier season 3 version (seafoam green wall panels and bulkheads, light blue curved beams) seems to fit more into the time period I'm going for.

Anyone have any objections if I use the "there was more than one briefing room" defense?

13. Donny

Hmm. I wouldn't say "just as easily", because all I did there was hit print-screen, paste, save. ;)

Are you talking about a typical black/white schematic, or do you mean a top-down render with colors, lighting, textures, etc?

14. Donny

Before I go to bed, here's an early test shot of the briefing room. Lighting and color scheme is still WIP.

Thanks to Mytran's sharp eye, I was able to catch that the season 2/3 briefing room was about 2 feet longer (or wider? Which would it be?) than the season 1 version.
    [​IMG]

15. Robert Comsol

I think a barebone black/white schematic would do, I can't recall if we ever saw an accurate b&w reproduction, so this might be a "first". ;)

According to the black "Briefing Room 2" door sign, there must be at least two. The problem with "Briefing Room 2" are a couple of inconsistencies, I'm currently looking at because of my deck plan project.

In "The Corbomite Maneuver" Kirk is passing BR 2 to get to red turbo lift door at the end of the "transporter room set" corridor.

In "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" Captain Christopher is passing BR 2 to get to the transporter room corridor and the transporter room (door at the end of the corridor is blue). I'm taking this as irrefutable evidence that BR 2 is close to a transporter.

The apparent oddity is that the door opposite the transporter room should be the side door of BR 2.

The last appearance is "Turnabout Intruder" when McCoy and Scotty have their conspiracy talk during recess of the hearing. The interior footage of the room doesn't suggest a side door.

Maybe GSchnitzer has a compilation of BR 2 door sign scenes available? If one exists it could help two purposes. :)

Bob

16. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

It's not unreasonable to assume there was more than one briefing room. Same way there would logically be more than one transporter room, more than one brig holding cell, etc.

17. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There probably was more than one briefing room based on observation of signage (according to Bob) but not via dialogue.

Since the Recreation Rooms also share similar wall features you can kinda pick and choose the features you want in your briefing room so long as the table and big viewer is in there :)

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Hey! Who stole the ^&*% furniture?!" :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

19. Robert Comsol

It's part of the ladies' excercise area hinted in "Charlie X". ;)

Funny, seeing it the first time like this, I wonder what the corridors behind the angled wall must look like (a "perfect" A-frame corridor, perhaps?)

Bob

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Either that, or it's implied that it's the outer edge of the primary hull maybe? Angle looks about right.