The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Want a good chuckle or to do a spit take? Go to eBay and look up the Legacy Collection Jacen Solo along with his sister Jaina.

As hard-to-find EU characters from a limited run, exclusive wave that came out at the very tail end of a figure line they're....shall we say....pricey. The secondary market numbers for the Solo kids border on criminal.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I hope it's not the case, but with the new movies coming out, I have my doubts as to whether we'll ever see any figures from the post-ROTJ EU again.

3. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what you're asking? Are you talking about the JJ Prise or the one from the bluray version? There is already a version based on the HD editions.

4. cooleddie74

Not unless they come from the period between Jedi and Episode VII and don't contradict the background and events in the new film, and even then I don't know how gung-ho Hasbro is going to be about the Expanded Universe now that it's gone into cost-cutting mode and appears to be scaling back the total number of figures they want to make each year.

Except for the possibility of a few more realistically-styled Clone Wars figures here and there (which they'd already been talking about for some time) I don't see them touching anything that isn't seen in one of the six existing Episodes or an upcoming television project.

5. cooleddie74

No, an Enterprise based on the Remastered TOS from a few years back. Not the J.J. version from the altered timeline. I really like the nuEnterprise but I'm a classic fan first and foremost and if I were going to choose between the two I'll buy the iconic TOS starship first and come back for the other one later.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'd buy an Art Asylum Defiant instantly. Enterprise C too. and Reliant. and Prometheus...and about a half dozen others...

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only downside is that he is radically out of scale with the Comic Pack Yuuzhan Vong.

8. cooleddie74

I noticed. It's glaring. But Hasbro's consistency track record when it comes to size is often a little sketchy.

They made a General Lando Calrissian figure in 2011 that's noticeably taller than a Sandstorm/Deleted Scene Lando that was released less than a year later. Chewbacca has also had figures of wildly varying height and build over the years....Hasbro didn't make its very first scale-accurate Chewie action figure until late 2000, five and a half years into the modern era and almost a quarter of a century after the very first Kenner figure hit stores.

9. Gotham Central

How is the "remastered version" different from the version that is on the bluray disks? As I mentioned there is already an "HD version" that is based on the one on the blu ray remastered editions.

10. Gotham Central

The consensus seems to be that the next ship will probably be the Reliant. The ship that has been demanded most is the Enterprise C. To date, the C is the only Enterprise that DST has never made.

11. cooleddie74

Sorry for any confusion. You said the Regular TOS Enterprise and the HD Enterprise were separate Diamond Select ships, so I assumed one might look a little different from the other in some way.

I haven't seen pics of the HD ship that they released so I don't know what the differences are. I don't own either one.

12. cooleddie74

I don't know if anybody's seen videos from the New York Toy Fair held at the beginning of last month and I can't recall if this is something I've already posted, but for anybody interested this is a very nice 9-minute look at the Star Wars displays.

Black Series. Saga Legends. Two-packs. 12" figures. Electronic 13" Anakin-becomes-Vader that won a prize for best toy at the last UK Toy Fair. It's probably stuff you already know about and some of you don't care for, but it's the best look we've had yet at what stores will be carrying towards the end of this summer (after all these months of little or nothing new).

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCM1Jz55fGU[/yt]

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did see a listing on ebay for two different Legends Jacen (no Jania) and one was for $59.99 and the other was $89.99 or something like that.

14. cooleddie74

Pretty wild, huh? K'Kruhk (the Whiphid Jedi Knight) from their same wave often commands similar prices. I personally think Hasbro should do a special online- or retailer-exclusive two-pack with straight repacks of Jacen and Jaina just to help satisfy some of the demand and help drive down the prices of the single-carded versions from 2010 (Hasbro isn't seeing a single penny of that $89.99 so they have no vested interest in sky-high secondary market prices), but with the current transitional state of the Star Wars 3.75" lines and cost and corner cutting by the company I don't think such a re-release will occur.

At least not anytime soon.

15. Admiral_Young

The 89.99 one was a little shocking, but the 59 buck one though seemed like a rare price on Big Bad Toy Store or something. Both ridiculous prices....I do remember that figure though now.

16. cooleddie74

Few modern (1995-present) action figures rival the Freeze Frame packaging variant of the POTF2 Weequay Skiff Guard (1998). A buddy of mine recently took a look at eBay to check on the going price for one of those.

Almost $600.

17. Admiral_Young

I saw an Amidala figure (I don't remember from what line now) that was going for $499 bucks I think. It was in its box as well.

18. cooleddie74

$499 for a Natalie Portman action figure? Whoa. I didn't think there was any version of her in 3.75" scale that even remotely approached that kind of high-priced insanity.

There is an ultra-rare packaging variation of the 1998 "Flashback Photo" Medal Ceremony Princess Leia that can command upwards of two grand, and that's because the photo insert with the pull-down tab has a much different photograph of Leia's mother than the version that was sold at mass retail.

The version of Medal Ceremony Leia you saw in stores had a "Flashback" picture of Natalie Portman in conventional dress and hairstyle holding a Naboo blaster pistol. The super-valuable variant has a photo of the Queen in regal dress and facial makeup from the end of Episode I.

19. Admiral_Young

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

A Marvel Legends Amidala, huh? I wish ebay could ban people putting irrelevant words in the listing title just to get more search hits.