My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

I find Catwalk infinitely better than Dawn, which is bad-derivative even by Trek standards and bores me to tears. But so it goes.

2. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Well, it's all relative. We're not all going to enjoy the same things in the same ways. I don't think Dawn is nearly as good as The Ascent, but I was able to watch it in one sitting and get some enjoyment out of it by the end. Catwalk, not so much. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, though.

3. Toolfriend

Toolfriend Ensign Red Shirt

In Broken Bow, Hoshi says something to T'Pol in Vulcan after T'Pol recommends Hoshi may want to go to her quarters after Hoshi feels some warp tremors. What did she say to T'Pol in Vulcan? I would love to know.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it was, "Bitch, please."

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Another fan of The Catwalk here. One of the rare instances where the crew actually feels like a full crew, not just a senior staff with a few background extras.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

I'll agree with it being nice to see the rest of the crew in the background.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Enterprise seldom could even make full use of their main character nonetheless keep any regular backup characters around. There were a few exceptions, but it did seem to be the rule mostly.

Catwalk was a fun episode that it really seemed to capture the vulnerability of space exploration, where they're tightening down the hatches to survive the space storm and all.

Dawn.. about the only think I liked about it was it acknowledges the language barriers that alien races would inevitably face without a magic handwave of a universal translator. Enterprise was good about that element of things.

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Well, with Dawn, that was most of the episode, and that's what I liked about it too. I liked seeing Trip work to communicate with the alien he was stranded with and how they went from being enemies to "friends." This was a race that the Vulcans had a difficult time with, and they were definitely difficult, but I liked the way things worked out in the end.

9. teacake

NICE AVATAR S/UF!

10. lurok

:) It's shocking, some of the episodes I like.

11. teacake

Oh Sub Rosa! no one understands you like I do!

12. laika

laika Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

definitely.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

Thank you. :)

:) As long as you enjoyed them then that's all that matters.

14. Spock/Uhura Fan

Stigma
    [​IMG]

Penar (sp?) Syndrome. Poor T'Pol. As soon as those Vulcans requested to come aboard the ship, I suspected that they knew what Doctor Phlox was trying to do. It just seemed a little mean to make her explain the illness when 3 Vulcan doctors were sitting right there. So, her "attacker" gave it to her. Even with Vulcans, who are supposed to be so enlightened, the victim gets victimized. Sad. No wonder why she didn't want to go to one of them. And of course, Archer unwittingly rubs it in at the dinner table. It's like she got an STD, and they're calling her a "dirty girl" when treatment is needed. Dr. Phlox underestimated their ability to put 2 and 2 together, and unfortunately he wasn't discreet enough. I'm not sure if being "discreet enough" was possible.

And then, I didn't like the fact that Archer throws a fit because Phlox didn't tell him what data he requested and why. There really wasn't a reason to at the time, but of course all Archer can think about is what he didn't get. :rolleyes: I really didn't like the way he handled T'Pol when he called her and Phlox into his office. He didn't even seem to care about her or how she was doing, and it seemed kind of slow of him to not gather that the reason why the Doctor and T'Pol hadn't said anything was because it was a sensitive issue among Vulcans.

I can't believe that T'Pol had to spell it out for him that the guy that pretty much mind-raped her (remember that, Archer?) was responsible for her contracting the syndrome. I just can't help thinking that Sisko or Picard would have been a little more caring and understanding and not so slow and emotional. Even what I've seen of Kirk would suggest this. They probably would have said something near the end of the episode along the lines of "In the future..." but they wouldn't have behaved like Archer, that's for sure. What a shame. And it just says something about him when he finally remembers, "Oh, right, you were raped a while back. Forgot about that. Okay, well, I think the Vulcans will understand." I love how people often have to walk on eggshells for him and he has all the sensitivity and delicacy of a sledgehammer. :vulcan:

End rant. On to the Denobulan wife. Poor Trip was trying his best to fend her off, only to find that Phlox didn't care in the first place, lol. The awkwardness this caused was a nice touch to show a difference between cultures.

Back to T'Pol. I'm glad that one of the Vulcan doctors knew how to handle her situation with the discretion and care that it deserved. It was nice that she had someone she could actually talk to that understood her situation. At least Archer partly redeemed himself when he got the hearing and didn't divulge anything when asked. I think the best part was when T'Pol decided she wouldn't stay silent in her support for the doctor that helped her. Challenging the bias of the VHC is a good thing.

Grade: B minus

15. R. Star

More Evil Vulcan Syndrome! Really this series does their best to make the whole Vulcan race unlikable to the point it's hard to believe Spock came from them. Classic victim blaming here, and Archer seems to have caught EVS for this one episode the way he treats T'Pol.

The subplot with Trip and Phlox's wife was hilarious. I also enjoyed the difference in the cultures and how Trip was trying to do the "right" thing. Good bit of character development there.

16. teacake

Boy S/UF you're making me dislike Archer even more :lol: I'm having to remind myself that he improves greatly.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I like "Stigma", though it's probably best viewed as non-canon, especially since T'Pol willingly consented to the mind-meld in "Fusion" before she was attacked, so it's not as though she was quite blameless there.

Still, I'll take a good bad canon ep over a dull canon-neutral one any day... I think. :p

18. lurok

Archer seems to have some serious mood swings. I'm sure there's medication for it.

Three words: Mrs Phlox's tongue.

I've never minded the Evil Vulcans. I always thought Sarek was a bit haughty in the way he treated his son. And the ones who appeared on DS9 were a bit up themselves. Wasn't one a psycho sniper?

19. teacake

Yeah, he was a killer. Something bad happened to him iirc and he acted it out.

As to Mrs. Phlox's tongue.. I hear they are prehensile.

20. R. Star

Even the serial killer Vulcan wasn't a rude jerk about it though. :p