Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So glad I waited before buying any of the seasons! :lol:

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I never got around to buying any seasons after the first one, so I'll definitely pick up the complete series set.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I'm worried that Filoni & Co. completely missed the point of AOTC and are therefore promoting a version of Order 66 which also completely misses the point of AOTC.

EU isn't really the main point here. However, blanket dismissal of the EU overlooks the fact that some EU authors have been better than others at coming up with logically well-thought-out "solutions" ( for lack of a better word ) for PT plot points.

Were it accurate, Kaminoan complicity in Order 66 seems like a significant enough plot point that it should have been indicated somewhere in AOTC or ROTS, but it wasn't. Instead it's somewhat conspicuous by its absence, which may potentially lead us to a different conclusion. What were we told in AOTC, and what were we not told? We were told that the clones were designed to ( in theory ) obey orders unquestioningly. We were told that the army was "for the Republic", and thus the clones needed to be trained to respond to orders issuing from the Republic chain of command. These things give us Order 66 all by themselves, without having to assume that the Kaminoans even knew about the order, and without having to delve into nonsense such as orders being somehow programmed into the clones' genetic code. A genetic code determines the physical characteristics, growth and development of an organism; it does not impart factual information to the brain of that organism. Thus, if an EU author tells us that Order 66 was not programmed by the Kaminoans, it only makes sense.

Besides, the Kaminoans seem to be similar to the ship-builders of Rogue Planet. They sell clones and are said to be good at what they do. Their society is based on commerce and they have a reputation to uphold. How would it affect their reputation if it got out that they sold a clone army with a hidden "kill your generals" switch built in? That would be like selling a high-tech gun of some kind while not telling the buyer that the little red button on the side would kill him if he pressed it. On some level the Kaminoans may seem fundamentally amoral in nature, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't take a great deal of professional pride in their work.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And what does Order 66 which didn't show up until Revenge of the Sith have to do with the sales pitch for the clones.

Whoopie do. they're still not going to tie their hands based on something a fraction of the fanbase reads.

You mean with the clone army the Jedi didn't know crap except for the afore mentioned sales pitch the Kaminoans gave them on why clones trump droids about but used any way

Not as much as you seem to think.

Didn't show the Kaminoan doing some kind of teaching machine thing with the Clones that would cover what ever orders and what not their supposed to know or be conditioned to follow.

Again, they're still not going to tie their hands based on something a fraction of the fanbase reads.

5. Set Harth

Filoni would probably say the same thing, and that's what makes me worried.

They're not bound to follow the EU, but in this case to do so would possibly be more in line with what was covered in the films.

I cited only two things, both of which were stated in the film. The point was that you can get Order 66 just from those things.

If they are only trained to follow certain prearranged orders then it defeats the purpose of the Kaminoans saying they will follow any order. The point of the army is that they are conditioned to follow any order given, not that they come pre-equipped with orders. And I still don't see how the Kaminoans would feel comfortable selling a product with a hidden switch that kills the operator and not telling anyone about it, nor do I think Palpatine would want the Kaminoans to know about the order in case of interrogation by the Jedi.

You might be missing the point. It's not about tying their hands, it's about whether their version makes sense.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Set Harth

The Clone Wars. Ruins canon even when you can't see it.

8. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

"A Disney branded app for Star Wars will launch on Apple TV devices, with plans to distribute the final Clone Wars episodes exclusively digitally only through the Apple TV device for a limited period of time. This will happen in this holiday season"

sounds to me like it will be on Apple TV first, and then available everywhere else (regular tv/dvd) after. how is that hatred towards the series and fans?

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't say anything about a Blu-ray/DVD release. Exclusively means "to the exclusion of others. Only. Solely."

If this is true. The Clone Wars will only be available in a medium that few people have and Disney will use it as justification that they were right to cancel the show because no one watched it.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I blame Uncle Scrooge for this!

12. Booji

It says "for a limited time". do you really think they'll sell the eps for a 1 month window during the holidays and then pull it? come on now...

13. Set Harth

Right, the SW franchise has never done anything like that before.

14. Booji

??? every movie, both SE and original, and episode of Clone Wars is currently for sale. there is nothing that has been released that you cannot currently get.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the other hand, Disney has a history of making its films available only for a short time and then putting them "in the vault" indefinitely. The wording of the release is ambiguous; it's not clear what will happen after that limited time elapses.

16. Set Harth

At one point you couldn't buy the non-SE version of the OT, and you still can't get it in any kind of quality.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'll take a cautious wait-and-see attitude regarding this. I don't entirely trust Disney to make all the right and best decisions with this content but there's really no practical point in complaining at the moment. I have a feeling it might not be that bad in the long run.

Not like we can do much if anything anyways.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not bad in the sense that I really don't give a shit one way or the other. :lol: I'm sure I won't lose one second of sleep over anything related to Star Wars ever again!

P.S. If the rumor's true, I won't be watching it through that outlet. It's just simply not worth it.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The 2003-5 Clone Wars Micro-Series is not available to buy. It's embargoed.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the Apple story the other day. I'm assuming (and hoping) that they will release it through other means eventually.