The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine they'd just release season one if they had it finished - much more $$$ that way.

One wonders what will happen with other sci-fi shows that could be remastered in this way. Much cheaper and with a big potential audience is the X-Files, though not sure how those Vancouver warehouses will look in HD.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, they'll have to re-shoot that, then.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd be curious how they would handle the aspect ratio of The X-Files if they converted it to HD. Seasons 1-4 were released in 1.33:1, but I wonder if they were protected for widescreen?

Given the failure of The X-Files: I Want To Believe, I wonder if Fox thinks the series still has enough financial value to justify an HD conversion, even if they are comparably fewer effects in each episode than are found on Star Trek: The Next Generation. I have seen it in syndication, still, which suggests Fox might think so.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose I should check the actual Trek sections of this site more often, I hadn't actually heard of this as anything more than a pipe dream.

Should be interesting to see as TNG has looked really beaten up recently with an image that seems softer than it should for material of its day.

I don't know, TNG seems to make the rerun rounds pretty well in this HD age. For a while there it seemed between Syfy, WGN, BBCA and so on that it was on all the time. Whereas I haven't seen TOS since the remastering. I suppose it might make a bigger difference in actual media purchases though.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The last time I had actual TV, in the Seattle market during early 2010, TOS and TNG were in syndication back to back every night on one of the local channels. I don't know how common that is these days, though.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It really has been shown a lot lately, but appears to be running out of steam...BBC America runs it less, and its only on syndication here (NY/Phila..the biggest market area in the country) about twice a week. Hey you can only watch gold so long, no matter how pretty. :lol: The STNG-R will make it seem like a new experience...one I look forward to.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, in BBCA's case, they did seem to have only about 10 episodes they rotated through. It was nauseating.

8. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I don't think the performance of a movie has any bearing on what they decide to do with the TV show. That's like them not bothering to do TNG because of Nemesis. It's the performance of the TV show that counts, so if there's still broadcast demand and indications that people will buy the Blu-rays, then they'll do it. Presumably there's more demand for X-Files, at least in the US, then there was for, say, Farscape or Space: 1999, both of which got the HD treatment. And as noted, the special effects aren't as complex and there were no laser beams shooting around.

Alex

9. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think online streaming is the component we're forgetting. CBS just sold all of Star Trek to Netflix for big bucks. If Netflix expressed an interest in paying more for TNG-HD, that could be what is driving the whole project. Then the question of DS9/VOY really becomes a question of if Netlfix or a similar competitor wants to pay extra to stream those shows in HD.

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Farscape didn't get the HD treatment, it was upconverted from the PAL video masters. And Space: 1999 was edited on film, being an older show, so it didn't have nearly the volume of work TNG and The X-Files require.

11. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I, for one, hope that they can get syndicated stations to give at least a few of the shows better air-times than TOS-R got. I was shocked that no one chose to air Amok Time or Doomsday Machine in prime-time as a special, with a wrap around doc or something about the making of TOS-R.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^You were shocked? really?

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm shocked that he was shocked! :eek:

14. 22 Stars

lol I'm shocked that more people weren't shocked! ;)

But seriously folks.... I was working at CBS distribution here in NY at the time, and was sure that at least a sample of TOS-R would get one special airing. Something akin to the 'Cage' special, which was produced by Beckola Prod. between Season 1 and 2 of TNG hosted by Patrick Stewart.

I'm not talking about CBS airing it in primetime, I'm talking about your local MyTV or other syndicated rinky-dink station putting an episode on a Saturday at 7 or something.

15. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends if you could make it proper widescreen or "Buffy widescreen" I guess. I still remember being shocked by some of the goofs on those DVDs because of the aspect ratio.

You could make the same argument about TNG post-Nemesis, both disappointments, though I don't think either lost money.

X-Files 2 seemed so staggeringly unambitious, playing like an extended standalone episode with a big budget, that its hard to believe anyone expected it to be huge. Was just a bit of fun I think.

I think it probably depends on your point of view. TNG is obviously still considered valuable, but without an HD conversion it will never be syndicated on HD channels in the long-term, once most content is HD people will get used to it and reject the piss-poor visual quality of SD TNG.

So it is spending a few million $$ now, which they will make back from Blu Ray sales, in order to safeguard revenues for the next twenty years or so.

With the X-Files, it was HUGE back in it's day, and someone with an eye on the future and syndication $$$ might well put their hand in their pocket, as an investment.

16. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, they were all CGI. They were never physical, not even in DS9. Only the Enterprise-E and the Defiant were physical models in FC.

Sorry, the Borg cube was most assuredly physical. I believe the Sphere as well.

And the Defiant, to my recollection was CGI based on a scan of the physical model.

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

re First Contact: And the Phoenix. And the Vulcan ship. And the escape pods, I think.

EDIT:
    The 1701-E was a physical model except for the warp drive and time travel shots
    Most of starfleet ships were digital, including Defiant, but I think the Nebula class ship was the old miniature dating back to THE WOUNDED.
    The Phoenix was miniature only
    The Borg cube and sphere were miniatures only

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  18. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, in it's day. I'm not so sure it's going to find a huge audience in repeat runs now, as it feels very of it's time, and very dated in a way that a space opera like TNG somehow doesn't.

19. 22 Stars

Trek has always benefited from the cast and crew in uniforms, and themes to the episodes that are more 'timeless' than a contemporary drama that gets dated more quickly. Now, I'm not saying that there aren't things like hair, make-up and some shows that don't age as gracefully.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

True. Since TNG has more or less been on the air somewhere since it ended it's run 18 years ago and DS9 and Voyager's only real home has been on Spike and Sci-Fi (both of whom only gave each a few years and ended up burning off their contract in overnights)...it doesn't look too good for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.