NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by havoc92, Jan 18, 2010.

1. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

these are amazing, i really hope that in the future once everything is complete that you can make a site to house all of this in a interactive format

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is what I am trying to talk about. How did you get the spaceing?, did you use the meter or the mm in your drawing I am trying to do the same thing but at a other way, I am trying to use the land as my scale for the star ship. I do like what you are doing as well to.

3. havoc92

havoc92 Commander Red Shirt

That is something answered in the threads several times at Buzz. The measurements come from the plans.

4. havoc92

I'm working on a figure to put in scene at the moment. Posting has been slow because I've not really done it before and it's eating a lot of time while I explore and figure out how to detail the figure out. I may post pics if anyone is interested; but, been pretty engaged with it.

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like a simple figure for scaling or something costumed and detailed?

6. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can tell you all that the studio had the money befor they lost the bank that healed there money, Lucy could not fight men in the bank so she keeped here side of her deal befor they lost it all from gulf western who took over the studio when they where going so good with Star Trek and other show they did. I have talk to the people from the studio when I live in Hollywood ca. I got it from the inside. Even when I was on the out side of the studio.

7. havoc92

I want the figure in scene; but, how far it goes is likely to change over time. I will probably have to go ahead and texture
    the figure; but, the hands are giving me fits. I don't like how little detail I'm getting out of them vs polycount; but, I'm living with it.

8. havoc92

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

..just an update on the organics work.

9. blssdwlf

Ahh, human modeling! Looks like a good start.

10. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good start on the human figure! I can't wait to see it in the ship, maybe even in the captain's chair.

11. havoc92

Okay, more toys. Been a while; but, ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

..The Torpedo room is coming along nicely. Still have to build storage racks and some props for managing
    the torpedos. The rig for the telescope is obviously in process of being built. I cleared most of the models in
    scene as max was beginning to bog down rather badly. May have to reimport the models when the final work is
    finished on Deck 3. But that should be in a matter of days at this point. Been working pretty solidly for the last
    two weeks designing, cleaning, doing touchups, etc. More to come.

12. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice to see you back:techman:

13. havoc92

Thanks. Worked a 2 man job by myself for 5 months; so, just gettin my steam back after my help returned ;)

14. blssdwlf

Wow that's no fun. Glad to see you back. :)

15. havoc92

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still working on building the rest of the framing for the Telescope. Thinking I need to add a large screen
    back there as well; but, that should be relatively simple.

The last image is a look at the rack design I'm working on for the torpedos. Don't know if I like it just yet;
    but the gears are moving.

16. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd often wondered what FJ's telescope might look like, since we never saw anything like it on TOS. I love the support assembly you've designed, it is very believable without being too (20th century) contemporary.

Did FJ have physical torpedo casings in his plans too? If so it pre-dates the TWOK debate by a number of years!

17. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

No, the torpedo caseings were invented in TWOK as a device to conduct a space burial in.

FJ was going with TMoST, which describes photon torpedoes as:
    I think the phrase "energy pod" had been interpreted by most prior to TWOK as a cocoon-like force field sorta thing and that photon torpedoes are purely energy weapons. This would seem to agree with their on-screen appearance.

Although, I suppose that an "energy pod" could well be a physical casing wherein energies are contained. As we know, post TWOK, that's exactly what they are. But in any case, FJ certainly did not make any indication of photon torpedoes having physical casings, nor did he illustrate any of the actual ship's weaponry.

--Alex

18. havoc92

Did a little research on telescopes and went with something that looked the part. I wanted something that looked like it
    could be used both in a manual mode and with electronic enhance/assist.

As for the photon torpedos. That seems to be a rather large
    argument. My stance is that this is a multipurpose casing, not just something serving double duty for funerary purposes.
    Need a geo-penetration probe.. change the payload and that's what you have. Need an atmospheric probe... Sensors have their uses; but, they only go so far. And on the weapons front, yes, the photorp is technically defined as
    a pure energy type of weapon. The problem is they include a number of things that require energy to sustain. That needs a mechanism every bit as much as a physical system is needed to harness the same energy for use in ship propulsion... And we note they don't use an electrochemical induction with "agency" to change course on the ship.. they use a navigation console and an officer to operate it. If you're going to call it a torpedo and it can be programmed, then we need a mechanism for navigation, IFF, etc. So my position is and shall be that what is described in TMOST is probably exactly what they envisioned. The casing is the means by which this is sustained, given homing capability, navigation capability in general, IFF (Identify Friend or Foe), etc. These are not systems that just 'happen' as if by magic.

Inasmuch as this is all theoretical, it still has to obey the laws of physics. I don't intend that as an argument so much as a quick explanation of my thought process. I'm already aware that will upset some people. The opposite argument upsets people too. A lot of thought went into that one forward part of deck 3 to make it logically and physically sound in the way it is intended to function. The whole thing is designed for use under automation or manually in case of emergency conditions. And considering that modern trek finds itself in the same stance for whatever reason, I'm not sweating it.

19. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Well, in TWOK, the casing did say "Mark VI", so we can probably assume that there were Mark's I - V before that, at least a couple of which would have coincided with the TOS era.

20. havoc92

Yes, and given the time it takes to develope improvements on applied science, it's likely the mark 1 predated the constitution class by quite a while.