How fans are called?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MadaBidyoni, Nov 19, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't misinterpreted, it was just BAD.

:lol:

(and for that you shall die)

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

And worst of all, you missed the obvious Firefly quote! :lol:

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Which is?

4. teacake

You didn't say anything offensive MLB, you just made a really bad pun and we were teasing you about it. Why did you delete your post?

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those Twilight geeks are called Twi-Hards I think

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

It's a Serenity quote: “Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that.”

7. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

"Warsies" refers to a specific subset of SW fans, namely those who engage in the pro-Wars side of vs arguments. The term is perjorative, as it implies double-dealing, illogical and untrustworthy debating, and it typified by the behavoirs of dwellers at a certain pro-Wars vs site that I won't name, but that can be easily found with a little Googling.

I've heard the terms "Galacticans" or "Galactifans" used for BSG fans. I've also heard "Niners" used for DS9 fans as a subset of Trekkies/Trekkers, "Gaters" for SG fans, "Whovians" for Dr Who fans, and "Alphans" for Space: 1999 fans.

Apologies for duplications, just trying to cover all the ones I knew of.

I thought that was "lurker" with the lower-case "L" for read-only BBSers and Lurker (upper-case "L") for B5 fans?

Just thought of another one: for awhile "Andromedans" or "Dromedans" was used for fans of Gene Roddenberry's: Andromeda, or very rarely "Rommies".

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh. Right. No wonder I didn't get it. (as if it wasn't blindingly obvious I am definitely not a Browncoat)

Like I said, I'm sorry I made the joke.

It wasn't until after I posted it that I realized people might think I was calling Whedon fans "gay". I definitely did not mean that. It's just "Don we now our gay apparel". Everyone's heard that, right?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. teacake

That did not occur to me and I don't think it would occur to anyone else.

But okay, I get it now.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

I guess I thought that most people knew the context of the offending word from "Deck the Halls" anyway. But as I said, I totally did not understand the quotes from Serenity, which I have never even seen.

11. teacake

Just so you know the quote is from the episode Serenity, which is the pilot for Firefly. The movie which takes place after the series has the same name.

You should totally watch it. We're doing a first time watch right now, only on the second ep, you should join us!

12. Mr. Laser Beam

I tried watching the TV series. Didn't get into it at all. I wasn't rooting for the right people, apparently....let's just say that if I lived in the FF-verse I would be more likely to be a "purple belly" than a "brown coat". :alienblush:

So I am definitely not the target demographic for a show like this!

13. teacake

There is no more a target demographic for it than there is for Star Trek or Stargate.

But if you want to support an oppressive totalitarian regime go right ahead. Some of them look very hot in those uniforms.

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My BSG friends and I either call each other Skinjobs or Toaster Lovers. I figured it was a thing.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuGvCXDycEc[/yt]

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think interest in Star Wars is so widespread, and based on many different reasons, its fans transcend being a definable group. Hence no name for one.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I don't see the Alliance as totalitarian. Even Joss Whedon says that sometimes they're good. They're not like the Galactic Empire from SW or anything like that.

I see them more as agents of Order vs. the Browncoats who are agents of Chaos.

*sigh* Geez, I keep digging myself an even deeper hole with every post I make, don't I?

18. teacake

You know I do write most of my posts tongue in cheek.

I think that most of the Alliance is just regular people living their lives on the planets they were born on, part of the system they find themselves in. At some point though people have to make choices when they see the inevitable abuse of power that occurs. I doubt you would describe what was done to River Tam as "agents of order".

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AFAIK, Lurkers has been used for B5 fans for as long as I've been a B5 fan, which is quite, quite long.

20. teacake

Where does the term come from Mage?