Continuum the new tv series!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Snick27, May 14, 2012.

1. pork3

pork3 Commander

"She portrayed the female lead role of Rowan in the science fiction-horror slasher Jason X (2002)"

Of course, that is if you can look past her starring in a D-level film.

-Jamman

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have thought that the extended display of Lisa Ryder's naked boobies would have graduated Jason X to a C grade movie at the least?

3. pork3

pork3 Commander

Hmmm, now that you mention it...

-jamman

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the pilot, but if this goes as "sci-fi" cop shows usually go, the sci-fi was only to broaden the appeal, and will now take a backseat to everything else. Perhaps a few gadgetty things, but mostly just cops running around shooting things.

Hopefully I am wrong, and they will continue to have lots of future flash-forwards.

5. Guy Gardener

These terrorists are really antiterrorists.

Joyists?

Their job is to promote security and well being.

To make sure that Democracy and the Confederation of Canada prevails with strength and constance.

They are going to slow the erosion of economic decline and enhance the efficacy of the governments services, promote the creation of technology that will ease the burden of oil dependence and the expense...

Which supposedly is what Troy and Dyllan were supposed to be up to in Battlestar 1980 when they were playing with those fucking super scouts.

From the trailer for next weeks episode, the "Terrorists" seem to be inventing cold fusion.

They're going to solve the energy crisis and then hand it over to the government who will be rooted when there is no more oil left to tax.

Or are they just dicks who are going to build a bomb to kill the corporations decades before they're in place to enact the economic bail out?

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it certainly raises the interesting question: Would we support terrorists who do horrible things in the name of the philosophy we believe in?
    I remember my father reminding me before I went to see Empire Strikes Back, that the Rebels were criminals fighting against the government. I was only ten, Dad!

7. Guy Gardener

You should tell your father about the Vong.

Apparently 20 years before A New Hope, "Senator" Palpatine noticed these planet sized generational colony ships crossing the galactic void and decided to save the Galaxy from being sacked, because deep down, he's a nice guy with everyone's best interests at heart.

The new republic is facing down against these world ships in the new novels and they're really regretting having destroyed all those Deathstars. Really, really, really regretting it.

So yeah.

Your Dad was right.

8. theenglish

Thanks, Guy. If I knew you twenty years ago, you could have saved me twenty years of therapy!

But, really, the story for Continuum will be that the terrorists were hired by Alexander to return to the past and repair all the damage that his company has done. It doesn't matter that they blew up an entire building because all of this will never have happened when the timeline gets rewritten.

9. Guy Gardener

The smoking man (Old Alex.) knew this was going to happen.

The timeline isn't going to be rewritten into anything significantly different more so than last time this all played out, OR it's completely fixed, predetermined and can't change.

They made a point of saying that they don't know how time works.

From Keira's point of view however, if time doesn't play out exactly... Her kid might not be born.

There was an episode of journeyman where the guy from Rome, came back from the past to discover a future so completely different (he misplaced a camcorder) that just because he frakked his wife an hour later than he should have 9 years earlier, his son had been born his daughter.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. theenglish

It all depends how "safe" the writers will play this. But, regardless, I have no doubt that the terrorists will turn out to be Keira's allies.

11. Guy Gardener

Terrorist "We want to save the world for everyone."

Kiera "I want to destroy the world, and build a better world for those few that might survive."

okay.

if all depressions are created equal...

You go back in time to stop the depression in the 30s.

That means no world war two because Germany is happy.

No one invents atomic weapons/power.

Although there's 6 million extra Jews in the world, without the haulocaust none of the on the fence racists feel like there's any reason to go easy on the jews, which doesn't trickle down into social gratis for women and blacks, not to mention there wouldn't have been no mass exodus from Europe to America... Goodness? Can you imagine New York with out Woody Allen making movies complaining about his mother?

Germany makes it to the moon first since the their rocket scientist didn't have to run from the fall of Berlin.

No atomic weapons means that there would be no limitations to any of the conflicts between the communist and the US forces as ideologies collide...

So it's 1970-something and who ever invents the bomb first, Russia or America is going to win WWII and use the other as a footstool, and how honestly do you sell that to the people of 1927 when you're telling them that the world will be better because of the depression, the holocaust, WWII and the Cold War, and that there''s a bread line waiting for them, but in 80 years it will all be worth it?

Kiera's best hope for the brightest future relies on millions dying unfortunately and billions being sent to the poor house and work camps.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  12. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

There is far more intelligent thought about the show's premise in this thread than there has been in either of the first two episodes of the series, unfortunately.

Hopefully that will change, but after the second episode, I am significantly less enthusiastic than I was after the first. Do the writers even care about any of the interesting questions being brought up here? I'm honestly not sure....

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ How did you see the second episode?

14. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

I Tunes. For free.

15. Agent Richard07

16. Agent Richard07

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HVrdiW3Rpk[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2301ZQyQrGU[/yt]

The show also did extremely well in the ratings. You can read about it here.

17. Guy Gardener

Do you want me to call you a Taxi?

I LOVE THAT JOKE!

:)

Did we see the segments of the time machine handed to the prisoners before execution?

I think we did.

Otherwise the script might have gotten unnecessarily Christopher Walken.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The second episode was rather meh. Kiera's cover is blown, and she escapes, makes it back to her hotel room, despite the fact that the police should be checking this out now that they have reason to investigate her. But all's good in the end because Alec hacked into government files and made her look like some sort of special agent. Even though, logically speaking this should also come back and bite them in the ass, I'm going to assume for now on the issue of her identity will be conveniently swept under the rug.

Just how long can Alec keep helping her, anyway? Carlos's love interest is already starting to notice him, and I'm sure his family isn't going to tolerlate his constant absence forever. Oh whatever, we know everything works out for him in the end anyway.

And I guess each week one of the terrorists is going to be removed from the group. I guess the guy that was electrocuted last week is actually dead (he wasn't there this week) and now we have that guy leave the group and set himself up with a lot of money. But since there's been a bank robbery recentally in the area, shouldn't the bank employee have been more than a little suspicious of someone dropping off that much money? Shouldn't he have contacted the police, who would then either recognize him, or Kiera would have, and end of story? But no, instead the guy goes and plays creepy stalker outside the house he presumably grew up in.

Of course, what frequently pops up in time travel stories, the person from the future can't figure out how to drive a car. Though interestingly enough after that rough start, Kiera has no trouble afterwards. I guess we don't want to bog the story down with too much logic.

I noticed Tony Amendola was listed in the credits. Why? While I guess it's possible the speculation that he ended up at another time mihgt turn out to be true, doesn't haveing him listed at the beginning of each episode kind of ruin whatever surprise they might be trying to build? And regardless, he wasn't even in this episode.

While, I've certainly watched worse shows on television, Continuum has a long way to go before I'll call it a good show.

19. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right now, I'll settle for the fact that it's not a bad show.

20. Guy Gardener

One thing i noticed when rewatching the pilot last week.

The terrorist bombing happened on November the 5th.

Gunpowder treason and plot dudes!