Firefly - Joss Whedon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by rramarr, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I had that one down by the end of the first episode, but it was confusing for a while.

I've got the series box set. Joss said he included every episode, including unaired episodes, on that set.

J.

2. rramarr

rramarr Commander Red Shirt

Yeah it would have been on a bonus disc or something by now. However, I don't know if it was on browncoats.com or some where else, but there is a rumor about a possible serenity II movie. Maybe just a rumor..

I can't think of the characters name but I really like that character who played the assassin that came after Malcom.

Anyway what started me to thinking about firefly is:

Are you guys excited that Morena Baccarin will be casted on the upcoming V remake?

3. Amaris

She's suited for it.
    As for a Serenity II, it won't happen. We can dream, but it won't happen.

J.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

6. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Andromeda got five seasons, that's hardly short.

7. Lindley

Yeah, but that's not really an example of triumph of quality, is it?

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

In order to not put too much stress on the servers, the number of results from a given Search is limited to 100. That might have affected what you received, depending on what input parameters you used.

9. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not what he asked. He asked if the approach helped it or hurt it's chances of success, not whether or not you liked it. I would argue it hurt it's chances.

I don't find it very productive to ask Firefly fans (or fans of anything) why the show (or whatever) was cancelled. To them, everything was perfect and it was all the network, exterior circumstances, etc. It's fine if people loved the show, I just don't think those are necessarily the people you want to ask about it's faults and the reasons why people didn't watch it.

Believe it or not, I know people who watched the entire series and don't like it, wouldn't watch it again. I know people who watched the first few episodes on TV and then never watched again. It wasn't because of scheduling, they knew nothing of behind the scenes politics, they simply didn't like the show, the characters, the themes, whatever. I'm one of these people, so shoot me. :lol:

10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Bullet coming, please stand by.

11. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

The main reason your search didn't bring up much is that the show ended in 2002 - seven years ago. And the movie came out in 2005 - four years ago. We talked it to DEATH back then - happily and with joyous abandon. In the years between the cancellation and the movie, there were dozens of threads at any given time on all manner of different Firefly-related subjects. We tracked the DVD sales of the show religiously. We had countdown threads to the movie's release date. We talked about the conventions we went to where Browncoats ruled the day and the cast of the show were treated as super-humans. We delighted in the reports of those lucky few Browncoats who managed to get into the movie as extras. We bought multiple copies of the DVDs to give to our friends and family. We participated in viral marketing campaigns trying to get the word out about the show and the movie. We produced and followed podcasts that were wildly popular solely on the basis of being Firefly-related. We scrambled and fought for those oh-so-elusive tickets to the early screenings of Serenity, then fought the urge to read spoilers from those who had managed to see it. And then we went to the movie ourselves - as many times as we could manage - trying desperately to send the message that THIS is the kind of movie we want to see.

I think now, even four years later, we're all tired. We Browncoats have all kinda turned into Mal in a way - we fought our battle valiantly, and in the end we lost. But we still have our ship, and we mean to just continue. No more heroic battles. No more desperate cries against the injustice of it all. It is what it is. We have our memories. It was a good run. But the passion has cooled, and we've moved on.

At least, that's how I feel about it. :)

12. rramarr

rramarr Commander Red Shirt

It appears to me that since the show received so much interest in the forums back then and there are still weekly new guys that want to continue the discussion - it warrants a header thread, a place easily identifiable, its exclusive location on this site for the subject. I will not be the last guy to come and say hey let's discuss firefly, again. Fans are going to find this forum and want to revisit that subject. It needs its on header thread like BSG, Dr. Who, and Stargate in the promenade under the science fiction or somewhere. How much effort is that? The spirit is still alive.

13. Lindley

Subforums are only allocated for high-volume subjects that produce a large number of threads. Firefly produces threads regularly, but usually not many at once anymore. Hence no subforum. (Besides, we still have to convince someone that Lost belongs under SF+F! One battle at a time! ;) )

Feel free to start a thread on anything you want to discuss, though.

14. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Gorram it! Well said, very shiny. That's exactly how I feel.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and IIRC Andromeda wasn't so much cancelled as it was a case of the heyday of first-run syndicated action shows coming to an end at the time. There were reportedly some behind the scenes problems with Tribune Entertainment too...

It actually makes me wonder how Firefly would have faired in first-run syndication (before the bubble burst) rather than on FOX...

16. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

And perhaps most importantly, SG, BSG (up until this week) and Who are actually in production.

17. Amaris

I answered his question.
    Whether you like it or not, my opinion counts toward whether the show was helped or hurt by the western themes.
    Just because you don't like the show doesn't mean my answer isn't legitimate because I do. You assume too much.

I hated the show first time around. I watched two episodes and gave up on it. It was after I watched Serenity I chose to go back and look it over again.

Meh. That's your opinion, and that's fine.

J.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, despite your Lt.Jr.Grade status I feel compelled to say Welcome to the boards, welcome to the internet in general I suppose.

This is one of the few topics to be discussed more than Superman Returns outside of Trek specific forums.

Fox aired it out of order.
    Fox aired it sporadically and it was preempted for the MLB worldseries a few times.
    It was so different that the masses couldn't accept it or because of Fox's handling of it found it unimpressive and confusing.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I simply cited FOX's scheduling decisions as a contributing reason to why it was canceled. It certainly didn't get as fair a shot to succeed as other shows.

That said, I fully accept that there are people out there who didn't like the show. However, I have introduced the show on DVD to at least a dozen people, and not a single one of them hasn't fallen in love with it. Half of these people aren't even scifi fans.

20. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

You keep on postin' like that, because it's a perfect little analogy to it all.

Beautiful!