Where are those big windows on the Enterprise model on the set?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DS9forever, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Probably came down to budgetary constraints. the Main shuttle bay would have required a huge set which for the amount of use wouldn't have been cost effective.

Add extra smaller shuttlebays to model, build a smaller set (or being able to redress one and money saved.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It really makes you think - why put such a thing on the ship if they could never hope to realize it?

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Sometimes you get luck, other times you have to find away.

The story goes the scenes set in Engineering in Encounter At Farpoint were written to ensure the set got built as Roddenberry had a concern if it wasn't built at the start it would never be.

4. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

In a certain manner of speaking, Ed Miarecki "realized" a model of the main shuttlebay for "Cause and Effect": http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Main_shuttlebay

The shuttlebays on the VFX model had different sizes. I think part of the strategy may have been that studio stage-wise they knew they were going to have to start with a small shuttlebay but hoped that eventually they would be able to explore the bigger ones, too.

Bob

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Oh, they could easily have shown the main shuttlebay had there been any will to do so. That's what matte paintings are for.

6. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^Yeah, if you count one small section of wall as "seeing". :)

8. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

The big windows cover several decks, I don't see a problem with them. It doesn't have to be one window-one room. Also, each room would probably have its own gravity generator, hence, you could technically adjust the room so that windows are on top or side! Fans think like Enterprise is on Earth with gravity pulling everyone down at 9.8m/s/s...

As for the saucer deflector, I think that it was a good call. Mr. Probert wanted way too many lounges IMO; he said Ent was supposed to be like an ocean liner.

A Starship like that would have double and triple-redundant systems (as is stated in the manual). It only makes sense that there would be a backup for something like deflector dish. I
    In fact, I think it's canon that the navigational deflector is called "Main navigational deflector", indicating other(s).

9. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain