Star Trek London

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain April, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Her and the rest of the world. It's all getting slightly silly.

2. Saspearia

Saspearia Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi Admiral Bear

I did say in the video that it wasn't our idea and that it was from a fellow Trekkie. My apologies if I have offended, I should have checked with you first but I will happily name you as the source if you wish? Really didn't intend to steal the credit. Hope you understand.

3. Admiral Bear

I was joking, hence the use of :lol:. Don't have a sense of humour failure over it. Probably better if you didn't mention me anyway. :bolian:

4. Admiral Bear

Rumours of an email being sent this week to those that have registered.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I got it today:

19th-21st October.

Meet stars, get autographs, pose for professional photos, see realistic sets, costumes and props, watch stunning stunt shows, plus hear amazing talks from the people who made it happen.

April 16th is when the site is launched and the guests are announced and people who have signed up to Starfleet get to book tickets, which don't go on general sale until April 30th.

I'll wait to hear more details, but there's nothing on that list that screams "I MUST GO TO THIS!". So it depend on which guest stars they get and the price of tickets.

6. Admiral Bear

A very large "mehhhh" depending on the guests and prices. Nothing there to excite me. I've heard a vague rumour of all five series Captains, but I'll believe it when I see it. Just reads like Creation with a few props and a couple of Bridge chairs.

Excel is a horrible souless and uncomfortable place. Would much rather have seen this in a nice 5 star hotel. Looks like Media 10 have gone for the cheap option for locating this event.

My guess is the prices for whatever this is will be well above what most of us can afford in the current climate of low wages, high prices, and high unemployment.

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Plus I'm assuming they'll charge extra for autographs and photos.

I'm curious about the stunt shows. I can't really imagine what they'd do.

8. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

You guys are so cynical. Where is the love? :p

I want to know if anyone from the Star Trek 2009 crew will be attending.

9. Admiral Bear

Yes, we are. We find it helps us to keep our wallets closed when all those around us are throwing their cash at ne'er-do-wells. :bolian:

You want love? . . .puts on some Barry White. . .Come to the Admiral, Baby. I got me some of that hyprospray of lurrrrrrve. :lol:

10. Admiral Bear

Given the 'elf and safety Nazis in this country, along with the fact you can't actually replicate phaser fire in real life (shocker, I know), probably not very much.

11. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for posting the details of this. I got the email, but my account is having a hiccup so I can't actually see what it says!

12. CaptKirkland

CaptKirkland Cadet Newbie

I used to work for Media 10, six or seven years back... Unfortunately, I'm not in contact with anyone there who can confirm their direct involvement with this, but the IP lookup would seem to be a positive indication. Knowing their reputation for carrying off big events in cities like London and Birmingham this one could be in safe hands. It's certainly a departure from some of their interior design events that they're best known for!

UK fans deserve a decent show after many letdowns over the years (one of which made the BBC consumer affairs programme Watchdog after the organiser disappeared without trace, if I recall!). At least with CBS involved we have some security.

Wonder what calibre of guests they'll be able to get? A lot of the new Trek movie cast seem to be pretty tied-up with other projects, that's if any of them would have the inclination to make a convention-type appearance over here. But here's hoping some of the better known series cast will put in a showing. As mentioned, some set replicas would be a nice addition for photo ops.

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I bet Jim Swallow, Una McCormack or myself would jump at the chance...

14. Admiral Bear

Well, it's certainly Media 10 that sent out the first pointless email to those people who'd signed up for news.

That would be E1, run the ubiquitous Manny Patel. Sadly, I knew him in passing, as did quite a few of the people who threw their money at him. I didn't give him a penny as I suspected what was coming. He was outwardly a very pleasant guy, but was a very obvious con artist. I think it transpired later on that he had £25k of county court judgements against him. Go on youtube. Manny fled the UK after his grilling by Anne Robinson, and is now quite big in the US. . .apparently.

As I've previously said, this event has FAIL written large all over it unless Media 10 get Shatner, Stewart, Brooks, Mulgrew, Bakula, maybe Pine/Quinto there across the three days. Creation will tell you that no one in the UK goes to a Trek convention on a Friday (normal working day), so running this event for 3 days, one day is already a dead loss regardless of who they get to appear on that day. Creation will also tell you that UK people will only turn up to see a Trek series Captain, Nimoy, Frakes and Spiner. Anybody else, and very few people will care, especially at the prices charged. You'd think that Creation, with their experiences in the UK and caring about Trek fandom as they do, would've had a quiet word in CBS's ear about the futility of running a Star Trek convention in London.

I'm also worried that Joiner is crowing about this event, making people think he's involved with it in some way. Anything that involves him working with another organiser is doomed to failure. Just ask Fedcon what he's like to try and work with. You could also ask Universal Pictures.

On a last note, if the DLR goes down for engineering works that weekend, as it often does, this event is even more deceased than it probably already is.

15. Flibble

I was one of the people who took him to court....and that's the nicest thing I can say about him!

After that fiasco, I'm concerned about this event and handing any money over to the organisers.

That would be E1, run the ubiquitous Manny Patel. Sadly, I knew him in passing, as did quite a few of the people who threw their money at him. I didn't give him a penny as I suspected what was coming. He was outwardly a very pleasant guy, but was a very obvious con artist. I think it transpired later on that he had £25k of county court judgements against him. Go on youtube. Manny fled the UK after his grilling by Anne Robinson, and is now quite big in the US. . .apparently.

16. Admiral Bear

I fear Media 10 won't be up to organising, running, or promoting this event succesfully. A Star Trek convention is a whole different ball game to putting on an The Ideal Home Exhibition.

They already seem not to have a clue about how to access cast members if the terrible rumours are true. I wouldn't give them any money up front. People had to wait 18 months to get their money back from Joiner after he twice cancelled Warp 10.
    With shit like him continually advertising phantom conventions (he's just cancelled another one) and taking people's money before waiting months to give it back, is it any wonder even the die hard attendees in the UK have given up and don't trust anyone anymore?

17. Flibble

Thanks for the heads up, Admiral Bear.
    With this event, and another event that is recently happening soon in the UK organised by another first time convention group, I am wondering how they can financially back these things. It would be ok if they only had 2 or 3 guests which they probably could afford from the registration fees, autographs, photo ops etc, but with the amount of guests & the venue hire costs, I have my doubts about this event as well. I'd love to be proved wrong though!

18. Admiral Bear

New email in from Media 10. And I'm afraid the rumours are now confirmed as true. Joiner appears to have his grubby hands all over it.