Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Hopefully they can find a good tape source of this as well:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlroFAHh3I[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRAgu9duGV0[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7NiCuRAVnE[/yt]

2. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Doubt it, too much TOS stuff in there for it to matter on a TNG release. They'd have to pay Shatner, Nimoy, DeForest Kelley's estate, and so on - even if they found the source, I bet it'd be too expensive to include.

3. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

Not too sure about the "Unification" cover at all. They ought to have used a much more prominent image of Spock to attract new Abramsverse fans.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I must be in the minority because I actually like the cover. I pre-ordered it and S5 on Amazon a few minutes ago!

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't like the Unification cover at first but it's really grown on my...I like the sideways text.

6. Maxwell Everett

So, thanks to a tweet by him (RT by TrekCore), "Inner Light" scenarist Morgan Gendel is apparently recording his commentary today with the Okudas! Here's hoping it is one of several commentaries for Season Five. Season Three still has the the most commentaries at five. These would be great in addition to "Inner Light" (just my wishful thinking):

"Darmok" - Joe Menosky & Okudas
    "A Matter of Time" - Rick Berman & Okudas
    "Cause and Effect" - Brannon Braga, Jonathan Frakes & Okudas
    "The Next Phase" - Ronald D. Moore & Okudas

7. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Nice list, saw the news about the Inner Light :)

Don't hold your breath for Joe Menosky, the producers haven't much luck including him thus far. He moved to Italy mid-way through TNG (he basically did an early form of telecommuting) and seems to have been a bit of a recluse ever since, even though he did return to the States.

I would be very interesting in seeing/hearing him on the bonus content though.

8. Maxwell Everett

Yeah, I agree it's probably unlikely they can get him for the very reasons you bring up, but it'd be a shame as he had a sizable impact on TNG (he was co-producer in Season 5) and "Darmok" was probably his best work on the show, though I admit I'm sort of partial to "The Nth Degree" myself. Would've loved a commentary on that!

9. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on at least one of your guesses ;-)

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Ron Moore said he wanted to try and do commentaries for all the episodes he was involved in. Considering the lack of them in Season 4, I think it's reasonable to assume we're getting a commentary for Next Phase. I would love one for Darmok though. Now there was an episode that was unique.

11. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQGK3aF88QI[/yt]

12. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

The CGI Enterprise looks pretty damn cool!

13. Maxwell Everett

Robert Meyer Burnett confirmed a few things on Twitter recently. One is that his TNG Composers doc is 75 minutes long (I think that officially makes it the longest feature on a laserdisc, DVD or Blu-ray focusing on composers!). The other is that Seth MacFarlane and Brannon Braga recorded a commentary for "Cause and Effect."* And so did Ronald D. Moore and Naren Shankar on "The First Duty." That joins the one Morgan Gendel recorded with the Okudas for "The Inner Light." And of course, an unknown one on the "Unification" standalone (possibly Cliff Bole and the Okudas?).

*It better not be the same few minutes of commentary repeated over and over!

14. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually think that would be hilarious if it were done as some sort of easter egg (in addition to an actual commentary)

15. Maxwell Everett

:lol: Like the Thermian track on GALAXY QUEST? That would be fun. What do you wanna bet that they at least feign repeating their names at the start of Act One?

"Hi, this is Brannon Braga. I wrote this episode."
    "And I'm Seth MacFarlane. I did not write this episode."

16. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haha yeah, especially given that MacFarlane is involved, they can't pass by this opportunity for a laugh!

17. tomalak301

I'm looking forward to the Composers documentary but I hope there is a lot more coming down the pipe than that. It is the 25th anniversary season, and Roddenberry did pass away during that time. There's a lot they can cover. I would also love more features kind of like the Read Rainbow one we got for Season 2.

18. Maxwell Everett

Well, there's always the short and TOS-centric but still worthwhile The Star Trek Logs with Marina Sirtis (which I posted on the previous page) -- that is, if they can find a usable Betacam or D1 copy of it, and if all the rights can be cleared for its use (probably unlikely). We may also get an HD scan of the Patrick Stewart song and dance number he performed for an ill Gene Roddenberry. And beyond that, we know there are deleted scenes in HD and at least two other HD featurettes that were produced for Season Five: In Conversation: The Klingons and What He Left Behind: The Roddenberry Legacy. I'm assuming the latter is the typical multi-part doc on the making of Season Five. Here's what's been announced (and can be inferred) so far:

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5
    • Episodic Promos (SD)
    • Deleted Scenes (HD)
    • Gag Reel (HD)*
    • Audio Commentary on "Cause and Effect" with Brannon Braga and Seth MacFarlane
    • Audio Commentary on "The First Duty" with Ronald D. Moore and Naren Shankar
    • Audio Commentary on "The Inner Light" with Morgan Gendel and Mike & Denise Okuda
    • Featurettes:
      • Archival Mission Logs (SD)
      • In Conversation: The Klingons (HD)
      • What He Left Behind: The Roddenberry Legacy (HD)
      • TNG Composers (HD)

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Unification
    • Episodic Promos (SD)
    • From One Generation To the Next (HD)
    • Feature-length commentary

*Presumably. Each season has had a gag reel.

19. tomalak301

We're having more stuff with the Klingons? I thought they were covered pretty well in the Redemption Disc. I would want something on the Romulans, considering they are still a key player in season 5.

20. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

I think that 'Klingons' piece was listed incorrectly.