(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So PL predictions, I know theres over a month to go for new buys but do one now and another one just as the season kicks off and see if we change our minds on anything due to maybe who teams might still buy...

My Prediction...
    1. Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Everton
    Manchester City
    Aston Villa
    Tottenham Hostpur
    West Ham Utd
    Fulham
    Sunderland
    12. Blackburn Rovers
    Bolton Wanders
    Stoke City
    Wigan Athletic
    Wolves
    Birmingham City
    Portsmouth
    Burnley
    Hull City

2. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Man City lining up Toure. If it does happen it'll be a real shame - he's been an excellent defender for Arsenal.

As for your predictions, Jax - I'd put Man City in 4th or 5th. I don't see Everton being stronger than them and if Arsenal fail to adequately replace their losses...

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I can't bring myself to do a predicted table this year. All I will predict is that at least two promoted teams are staying up, probably Wolves and hopefully Burnley, Hull are going to finish dead bottom (NO ONE will sign for them - fear of humilation by the orange one - and they're already dreadful). In fact if possible, Hull will finish 18th, 19th AND 20th.
    I would like to see Hull, Wolves and Bolton go. Portsmouth are going to be in the thick of it all season as well. A strike-force of Kanu and Nugent? Dreadful.

Title: I think Chelsea have a great shot at the title so it'll be between them and Michael Owen's Man United.

Europe: Everton, Man City and either Spurs or Villa (neither of them are looking very good at the moment though... but then I never trust what I see in pre-season). Hopefully Arsenal will do better this year, and if Liverpool's other strikers don't step up
    they're probably finished. Rafa for god's sake buy a fucking striker!

Other:
    -Real Madrid to crash and burn
    -Newcastle to crash and burn
    -Championship to be unbelievably open with no teams running away or slipping away at either end (except Newcastle)
    -No English team in the CL final
    -One English team to make a proper fist of the Europa League
    -An outsider to win the Carling Cup
    -FA Cup standard fare

4. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why are some folks still clamoring for Arsenal to go out and buy a big flashy keeper? Almunia was one of the most consistently good in the EPL last season. Barely put a foot wrong, made a good number of stunning saves and just went about his business quietly. It's also worth noting it was his first whole season as Arsenal's number one. Arsenal have more pressing needs (CDM) than between the sticks.

As for Toure leaving, sad to see him go, been a loyal servant but I think Arsene is right in that his time at Arsenal seems to have past. He's not quite what he used to be at the back, whether that's just him being jaded, or due to a dip in form, I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

I'm of the opinion we don't need a new striker, Bendtner and Edu have looked very sharp pre-season, and Van Persie proved he's capable of digging deep and carrying the team if necessary. We've also got wonder-boy Vela and Arshavin, goal scoring won't be our problem.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So who should replace Toure???

Personally you need someone who can take up the mantle right away and I would love to see Upson there.

6. dragunzng

I wouldn't mind Upson back, but has Arsene ever resigned a player he let go? I don't see it happening. Current rumor is that it'll be Hangeland but I don't think he'll be willing to leave Fulham (for whatever reason).

7. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I agree entirely. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

I always wonder if I should write nice letters to major clubs just to see if they'll give me a little money out of pity too. :D

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I suppose I'd better chime in on all that's happened lately.

Adebayor - fuck off. Good riddance to bad, lazy, overpaid rubbish.

Toure - Sad to see him go, but he doesn't get on with Gallas and I'm sure the (potential) departure of his two best friends Adebayor and Eboue won't make him want to stay.

Eboue - Somebody said Fiorentina had offered us £9m for him ? :lol:

New Goalkeeper - No need. Better spend the money somewhere else.

New Defender - I would love to bring in Hangeland. He's a proper Vidic/Adams/Keown-type defender. Roy Hodgson was on Sky Sports News earlier on and said that he will try to keep him and acknowledged Arsenal's interest but he can't make any promises.

New Midfielder - Depends. Alex Song is coming along very, very well and could be the answer.

New Striker - Huntelaar is obviously my first pick. It wouldn't be the first time we'd signed a top striker who went to the wrong club on the cheap. I am not really interested in Marouane Chamakh. His goalscoring rate isn't really good enough.

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't there an African Cup of Nations this year as well? So Toure would be missing a chunk of the season anyway.

Apparantly Stern John has turned down a contract with Saints, which is a bit disappointing because he's said this summer he wanted to stay. And he would be a great player in League One. Hopefully something can be sorted. Maybe he was hoping for a massive payday now that we have a billionaire owner :lol:

But really we need strengthening all over the pitch, Pardew will sort us out though :cool:

10. dragunzng

Watched the Arsenal v Hannover 96 match today, after the match Eboue threw his shirt and boots into the crowd and waved. Some take it to mean he's definitely off. if we do get 9 million pounds (or even euros) for him, it's something we should consider. Strangely enough, I think his departure will be a bigger blow than Toure's leaving. Eboue isn't exactly consistent, but he can fill in left and right back, as well as left and right midfield.

Good to see Fab score in his first pre-season match, Bendtner's looked real sharp in pre-season, Arshavin however, has not!

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Eboue is in the way of better players.

12. dragunzng

Not really, he's a squad player. I mean who's he in the way of? Walcott's ahead of him in the pecking order as is Sagna, the only right back he'd be in the way of is Hoyte, who just isn't ready.

In midfield I think the only person he might be in the way if us Wilshire, who's been even more inconsistent than Eboue. I don't think that this season Eboue would have seen as much play as he did last time around, when we were missing Rosicky and Eduardo (both capable of better wing play). This season the only deputising he'd be doing would be for Sagna.

13. HappyDayRiot

So Liverpool are going to start the season with one credible striker, no decent defensive back-up, and a lightweight midfield? Xabi Alonso has a lot to answer for, handing in that transfer request.

If Gerrard or Torres picks up an injury over the next two weeks, I will not fancy their chances at all.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just heard the news about Bobby Robson :( what a true legend and gentleman.

R.I.P Bobby

15. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I don't normally have a good reason to post in this thread, but I did take note of the fact that Burnley FC defeated the Portland Timbers 4-2 in a penalty-kick shootout last weekend. That's probably the closest I'll get to seeing European football in America for the next year or so.

16. HappyDayRiot

Oh Burnley. Beating them 3-0 at home was the last good thing Cardiff did last season before it all went tits-up :(

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah but in fairness Alonso was deemed surplus last summer when Benitez wanted Barry.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this season the Prem might throw up a real surprise. I'm not talking Everton winning the league or anything, but Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal all seem (on paper) weaker than last year. Chelsea are probably as strong, but I do think new manager syndrome might trip them up slightly. I think Everton will do as well, Villa less well and Tottenham a lot better. Man City...I think they'll turn into Real Madrid basically, I can see them stuffing Liverpool one week then being humiliated by Stoke the next. I hope that the result of team losing players and Man City buying, well everyone, is that much like the Championship we'll see teams beating each other week in and week out and nobody really running away with it.

I'll put my predicted table togeather shortly...

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I was wondering what are everyone's World Dream XI of current players ??? I would put together something like this...

GK - Casillas

RB - Sagna
    CB - Ferdinand
    CB - Vidic
    LB - Evra

RW - Messi
    CM - Essien
    CM - Gerrard
    LW - Ronaldo

FW - Rooney
    FW - Torres

19. Hermiod